Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    SteelSD; what did the IUPUI coach have to say during the SLT? I missed that statement.
    Made a comment about being the higher seed and the opponents crowd being so loud his players couldn't even communicate. Don't recall the exact words but in essence "We are the higher seed but feels like we are playing on the road." Mitchell might recall the exact words.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
      Made a comment about being the higher seed and the opponents crowd being so loud his players couldn't even communicate. Don't recall the exact words but in essence "We are the higher seed but feels like we are playing on the road." Mitchell might recall the exact words.
      Home court advantage for Jags is 145 people and an echo from bouncing the ball. The worse part for the Jags was beating the Jackrabbits and then losing to the Leathernecks. The South Dakota teams were sitting in the crowd is a missed opportunity for a women's team in the Summit.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Perhaps the coach should ask his AD if he likes the check they receive as their share of the payout.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
          Based off what the IUPUI women's coach said at halftime of the conference tourney game against us, I don't think he would be opposed to not playing in Sioux Falls ever again. Both their men's and women's teams would probably be the favorite to step in and lose to Belmont in the OVC championship game year one since the OVC is crap.

As for the Horizon, the Fort Wayne men currently would make a good addition, but in general their attendance and pay scale for coaching isn't in the ballpark for most Horizon schools I don't think. But this is probably there best chance to get in the Horizon if that is actually in play.

The idea of adding Murray State to the MVFC just to support the Valley basketball side is about enough to make me sick. Seriously, let's contact the Montana Schools, Northern Colorado, and one other school and let's get a Summit Football Conference going. Tell the MVC in general to take a leap and let them continue their slow death march without us. I certainly like the idea of this:

Summit League Football Conference
          SDSU
          NDSU
          USD
          UND
          Western Illinois
          Montana
          Montana State
          UNC
          One other (heck, even invite Southern Utah back or add someone like Weber State)

That leaves us with Olympic only sports schools of:
          UNO
          ORU
          Denver

So a 12 team conference which certainly seems manageable. The 9 team football conference seems ideal. To me it just seems that the Dakota Schools and the Montana schools share a similar vision which I don't think are the same as the IUPUI and IPFW's of the world. I guess I personally think we could build much better rivals (and improve attendance) by playing the Montana schools versus the alphabet soup schools.

Leaves the MVFC looking like this:

UNI
          ISUr
          ISUb
          Missouri State
          Youngstown
          SIU
          Murray State

They would probably need to add some more teams, but leaves them with the geography they like. Between UNI, ISUr, and Youngstown they would still have quality teams at the top, but the bottom is very weak (kind of Big Sky like...). They don't seem to like the travel to the Dakota's anyway, so they should love this.

But at the end of the day, I would like to see the Summit be aggressive and try and grow with similar institutions rather than sit back and be poached by others. If we were able to add the core I listed, the eventual loss of ORU and Denver really wouldn't be much of an issue for us.
          I would love to add the Montana schools but I don't think it would make any sense on their part. They would give up a couple of bus trips a year for schools that are on average over a 1000 miles away. Macomb and Tulsa would be about 1500 away from Missoula.

Then you would ask them to run the Dakota gauntlet for a football playoff spot and play in brookings south for the basketball bid.....wouldn't make any sense to give up geographic rivalry games for that.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
            I would love to add the Montana schools but I don't think it would make any sense on their part. They would give up a couple of bus trips a year for schools that are on average over a 1000 miles away. Macomb and Tulsa would be about 1500 away from Missoula.

Then you would ask them to run the Dakota gauntlet for a football playoff spot and play in brookings south for the basketball bid.....wouldn't make any sense to give up geographic rivalry games for that.
            Jackrabbit football will make the trip to Bozeman in September. It is 300 miles further than Macomb which means a flight.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

That is one trip for out of conference versus 4 to 5 trips for in conference.

Let's put it another way......would you willingly give up close trips to Vermillion and Grand Forks to go with NDSU to the big Sky? Our travel budget would change significantly, that is what we would be asking them to do.

Comment

Complaining about adding Murray St to the MVFC for the Valley is a bit hypocritical if you were for adding UND for the sake of the Summit (which it was, there was zero reason from a MVFC perspective to add them).

For the record, I'm not for adding the Racers either since it will make the future conference schedules even worse and more stupid than adding UND already did.
                Last edited by thumper_76; 04-21-2017, 04:55 PM. Reason: Addition
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Seems like Murray and Valpo are going to be the two they add, they probably can't agree on a 12th. Rumors are both are getting campus visits this week.

Maybe this leaves the Summit vulnerable to losing a school to the Horizon.

Comment

Early on, when SDSU and NDSU were shopping for a D-1 conference, the Big Sky turned them down for membership. That turned out to be a plus for the Jacks and Bison and a mistake for the Big Sky. Even though the Big Sky is slipping in prestige, I doubt the Montana schools would leave. Let them keep sinking. The Mo Valley and Summit need to keep recruiting other prospective conference members though because of possible defections.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Next rd of re-alignment is where a Summit team or two could be poached,if both teams accept the MVC offer.

Comment

The Valley has lined up 4 visits....

Dave Reynolds‏Verified account
                        @DaveReynolds2

Sources have told me that Valley officials visited Murray State Monday, is at Valparaiso today and has visits set for Milwaukee and Omaha.
                        https://twitter.com/DaveReynolds2/st...78990916816896

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                          The Valley has lined up 4 visits....

https://twitter.com/DaveReynolds2/st...78990916816896

I can't believe they actually have Omaha on that list. They might as well look at UMKC, too.
                          Rollin' in my 5.0
                          With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                          Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

I don't get the appeal of Omaha. They've never been really good at basketball and their hoops program is an afterthought in Omaha. Milwaukee I kind of get even though they've had some struggles lately.

That said the writer said the Valley may visit even more schools beyond those four.

Comment

They must want back into the Omaha market pretty bad if they want to consider UNO.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                                I don't get the appeal of Omaha. They've never been really good at basketball and their hoops program is an afterthought in Omaha. Milwaukee I kind of get even though they've had some struggles lately.

That said the writer said the Valley may visit even more schools beyond those four.
                                Really? Omaha seems very appealing to a league that wants to add teams who won't challenge existing members for championships...
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X