Wichita State Leaving MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Rather ironic tuition is about to be increased. Are pigs flying yet?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      I never suggested tuition itself would go down, rather students'/families' financial burden could be reduced. I suspect some legislators would rationalize their stance by saying that if we want actual tuition to be reduced, we would need to appeal to universities directly, reduce "administrative bloat", etc.

Again, legislators could see reduced financial burden on state university students as an investment that could spur those students' continued SD residency and eventual investment in university foundations, just to name a couple (e.g., it's easier to work for lower wages, afford a mortgage, have kids ... here if you have lower student loan payments).

Funding athletics is even more complicated, and even I would be hesitant to advocate sustained legislative funding for individual university's athletic capital improvements that may benefit smaller percentages of students.

Some would say I have misplaced priorities when it comes to athletics, but as I have mentioned in other posts, Jacks' games mean more to me due to spending time with family at an activity we all enjoy (I fully admit my fandom should not be subsidized by other South Dakotans).
      I still don't understand. How would the financial burden be reduced for students/families without tuition going down? How would lower student loan payments be achieved without tuition going down?
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

There is no free lunch. Even Electric cooperative annual meeting dinners are paid with patronage capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I did not see the link that you posted from the Des Moines Register. That's kind of interesting situation going on in Iowa. I dont think we got anything comparable to Iowa or ISU to tape for a resource. A novel idea which seems dead on arrival, but Cedar Falls can only dream of catching up with Iowa and ISU. I believe UNI has fewer sports than SDSU, but Jacobsen is suppose to be making a million bucks for salary. I just check their official web site and they have something like 16 sports, and SDSU has 21, I believe with equestrian eating up a pretty piece of change.
          From what I gather Jacobsens entire salary is paid by boosters, not the school.
          Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          I still don't understand. How would the financial burden be reduced for students/families without tuition going down? How would lower student loan payments be achieved without tuition going down?
          That was my question as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
            Definitely agree regarding the Athletics Department deserving recognition; however, in terms of legislative support of higher ed., an argument could be made that their increased funding could reduce the burden on students and their parents and make it more likely that alums could donate and support athletics, the SDSU Foundation, etc.
            I read that SDSU gets the least dollars/student from the state. I think that Black Hills gets the most. If the Board of Regents either gave every student in the state the same amount of money or had each college/university/vo-tech depend on their own funds; a SDSU student and their parents might have to not pay as much in tuition.
            I don't think a great majority would give back anyway but you never know.
            I think this is correct but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

Just leaving this here: It's going to happen.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...c156ksbkx4arev

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                From what I gather Jacobsens entire salary is paid by boosters, not the schoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                No doubt,that's the case but the in and outs figure into the total budget. Going deep in the big dance will do that.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 03-31-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Just leaving this here: It's going to happen.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...c156ksbkx4arev
                  The MVC has to be approaching DefCon 1 right now.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    The MVC has to be approaching DefCon 1 right now.
                    A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                      A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
                      You don't want to play Total Thermonuclear War?
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        It's probably a matter of semantics, but the student/family's share of the costs could be reduced if the state funded an initiative like a grant, tuition waiver, etc. Essentially the reported tuition could remain the same, but the state would kick in more so that the student/family would kick in less (similar to a scholarship or grant students receive now; their tuition rate per se is the same as a non-recipient, but their share/out-of-pocket portion is less).

Comment

I love that movie.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/aa...eague-2017-18/

SOONER THAN LATER
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

A Wichita, KS, TV station reported yesterday Wichita's move to the AAC is a done deal:
                              http://www.kake.com/story/35069813/s....%20r_KAKEnews

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                A Wichita, KS, TV station reported yesterday Wichita's move to the AAC is a done deal:
                                http://www.kake.com/story/35069813/s....%20r_KAKEnews
                                Anything else I find says the AAC is just going to vote on taking them sometime this week. It sounds like the schools are almost for sure going to vote yes, and the Shockers will be out of the MVC. The next month could get very interesting for many conferences.
                                Rollin' in my 5.0
                                With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                                Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Working...
                                X