Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    Yeah, it has turned into a mess. Never easy to cut a sport but I hate seeing student athletes find out things like this from the press.
    Any chance baseball will be added?

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
      Yeah, it has turned into a mess. Never easy to cut a sport but I hate seeing student athletes find out things like this from the press.
      How is that going to affect title IX for them? I figured that's why they had womens hockey just to keep balance with the mens team for title IX reasons. sort of like how we have equestrian to help keep things balanced.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        How is that going to affect title IX for them? I figured that's why they had womens hockey just to keep balance with the mens team for title IX reasons. sort of like how we have equestrian to help keep things balanced.
        From what I gather since they cut baseball last year men were actually underrepresented so this brought things back into balance. I guess they hired a title IX consultant to make sure everything was in order.

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Any chance baseball will be added?
        I doubt it, they did cut $800k more then they needed to but it sounds like the extra money is going to be fed into other programs so they are on a more even playing field with the Summit and MVFC.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          UND managed to handle every situation poorly. Apparently the news leaked out to the media before the student athletes were informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait....... is this seriously how the students found out?!? They weren't the first ones told?!?! What the f***!
          Rollin' in my 5.0
          With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
          Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Its been reported on the UND message board that the team found out by media reports during practicing. Supposedly a top recruit was visiting when the news arrived. Ouch.

Since women's hockey is not a Summit League sport I suppose most SDSU fans won't pay a lot of attention to the news of cuts at UND. And an argument can be made that the cuts place the Summit League sports at UND in better financial position.

We read about sports being cut at UND so that the school can comply with a directive from the ND State Board of Higher Education (like our Board of Refents) and ND Legislature. I haven't heard or read about NDSU having to go through similar cutting. Can one of our Bison posters can fill us in on whether NDSU has faced similar budget cutting woes or how NDSU has avoided making cuts?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Its been reported on the UND message board that the team found out by media reports during practicing. Supposedly a top recruit was visiting when the news arrived. Ouch.

Since women's hockey is not a Summit League sport I suppose most SDSU fans won't pay a lot of attention to the news of cuts at UND. And an argument can be made that the cuts place the Summit League sports at UND in better financial position.

We read about sports being cut at UND so that the school can comply with a directive from the ND State Board of Higher Education (like our Board of Refents) and ND Legislature. I haven't heard or read about NDSU having to go through similar cutting. Can one of our Bison posters can fill us in on whether NDSU has faced similar budget cutting woes or how NDSU has avoided making cuts?
              NDSU had to cut 40% of the state appropriated general funds that were used for athletics, which was a little over $400 a year.

Each school had a 15% reduction of funds from the state.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                That is very commendable.

This is why I'm generally supportive of our stingy legislature. Necessity is the mother of invention. If we had a state government that wrote a blank check to higher ed, would our fundraising efforts have been as successful? Would the athletic department have worked as hard to raise those funds? I am doubtful.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...lity/96721104/
                Definitely agree regarding the Athletics Department deserving recognition; however, in terms of legislative support of higher ed., an argument could be made that their increased funding could reduce the burden on students and their parents and make it more likely that alums could donate and support athletics, the SDSU Foundation, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  Definitely agree regarding the Athletics Department deserving recognition; however, in terms of legislative support of higher ed., an argument could be made that their increased funding could reduce the burden on students and their parents and make it more likely that alums could donate and support athletics, the SDSU Foundation, etc.
                  LOL, yes that argument could certainly be made. Be honest, do you think that would happen? The part about tuition going down.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

LOL, yes that argument could certainly be made. Be honest, do you think that would happen? The part about tuition going down.

Tuition reduction??? When pigs fly over the campanile. Our foundation has worked hard but they have not raised that much dough.

Comment

Of course not, particularly if constituents don't compel legislators to objectively consider what represents a prudent investment. Personally, I think education should be prioritized as one of government's most vital investments.

Comment

Of course not, particularly if constituents don't compel legislators to objectively consider what represents a prudent investment. Personally, I think education should be prioritized as one of government's most vital investments.
                        Funny you should mention that, but

*thinks*

*deletes seven paragraph screed about education in South Dakota, opens beer, puts away the computer*
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

That is very commendable.

This is why I'm generally supportive of our stingy legislature. Necessity is the mother of invention. If we had a state government that wrote a blank check to higher ed, would our fundraising efforts have been as successful? Would the athletic department have worked as hard to raise those funds? I am doubtful.

Apparently Northern Iowa has an athletics budget of only $14 million??? Can that be possible? If so, that is pretty shocking considering their higher coaching salaries and equal or higher travel costs.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...lity/96721104/
                          I did not see the link that you posted from the Des Moines Register. That's kind of interesting situation going on in Iowa. I dont think we got anything comparable to Iowa or ISU to tape for a resource. A novel idea which seems dead on arrival, but Cedar Falls can only dream of catching up with Iowa and ISU. I believe UNI has fewer sports than SDSU, but Jacobsen is suppose to be making a million bucks for salary. I just check their official web site and they have something like 16 sports, and SDSU has 21, I believe with equestrian eating up a pretty piece of change.

Comment

My question was: if the legislature increased funding for education, would tuition go down as you suggested?

If the legislature funded SDSU athletics better, would private fundraising have been as successful?

The answer to both questions is no.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Andy Katz reporting this morning that Wichita State is looking to join AAC. AAC needs to decide if they want them.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...tic-conference

Comment

My question was: if the legislature increased funding for education, would tuition go down as you suggested?

If the legislature funded SDSU athletics better, would private fundraising have been as successful?

The answer to both questions is no.
                                I never suggested tuition itself would go down, rather students'/families' financial burden could be reduced. I suspect some legislators would rationalize their stance by saying that if we want actual tuition to be reduced, we would need to appeal to universities directly, reduce "administrative bloat", etc.

Again, legislators could see reduced financial burden on state university students as an investment that could spur those students' continued SD residency and eventual investment in university foundations, just to name a couple (e.g., it's easier to work for lower wages, afford a mortgage, have kids ... here if you have lower student loan payments).

Funding athletics is even more complicated, and even I would be hesitant to advocate sustained legislative funding for individual university's athletic capital improvements that may benefit smaller percentages of students.

Some would say I have misplaced priorities when it comes to athletics, but as I have mentioned in other posts, Jacks' games mean more to me due to spending time with family at an activity we all enjoy (I fully admit my fandom should not be subsidized by other South Dakotans).

Comment

Working...
                                X