Wichita State Leaving MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

For those interested in what other MVC schools have to say about potential additions to their conference, here is a good thread from MVCfans.com.

Basically, the XDSU's are at the top of the list for most fans.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
      The MVC has a small TV deal with ESPN, I think their deal gives the league 4 ESPN2 games and 6 ESPNU games. They also get 8 regular season games on CBS Sports Network.

Their tournament title game is on CBS, semifinals are on CBS Sports Network and the first rounds are on Fox Sports regional networks. Of course the conference also has an ESPN3 deal as well.

The MVC media deal is worlds beyond what the Summit could ever dream of having.
      5 years ago MVC tournament attendance was worlds beyond what the Summit could ever dream of having. Things change.

IMO, one of the biggest areas of change in the next 5-10 years is going to be what "media" means for college athletics. I would not be surprised in the least if some league partners with Netflix, Amazon Prime, or similar. Wait until a league like the Big10 realizes that "eyeballs" are only a fraction of the revenue provided by big data platforms. TV deals could soon be viewed as an anchor instead of a rocket ship.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        5 years ago MVC tournament attendance was worlds beyond what the Summit could ever dream of having. Things change.

IMO, one of the biggest areas of change in the next 5-10 years is going to be what "media" means for college athletics. I would not be surprised in the least if some league partners with Netflix, Amazon Prime, or similar. Wait until a league like the Big10 realizes that "eyeballs" are only a fraction of the revenue provided by big data platforms. TV deals could soon be viewed as an anchor instead of a rocket ship.
        In that same vein, don't discount the effect that Midco Sports could have on the league. Their production capabilities have grown tremendously and Midco continues to expand into new markets.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          In that same vein, don't discount the effect that Midco Sports could have on the league. Their production capabilities have grown tremendously and Midco continues to expand into new markets.
          Very true. Think of the difference between MidcoSN broadcasts of SDSU football versus the crappy local affiliate that does NDSU. It's no contest.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I 100% agree that streaming online is going to be the norm. TV payouts for any non P5 conference are dropping like a rock, especially on the football side, which is why I am very much against joining a G5 conference for pretty much every FCS program (among many other reasons). Having the deal we do to be one ESPN3 as much as we are is a great thing.

Honestly the reason the MVC would add the xDSUs is because they got smart and figured out its time to add programs because of their quality and not their media market. If they don't then I don't know who they do add that's worth a hoot, which could lead to repercussions we could feel on the football side of the equation eventually because I guarantee UNI and ISUr would be looking to bolt the MVC. If they do then the Summit will be better than the MVC but not for the reasons we want, that the Summit improved that much. Instead it will be because the MVC atrophied to the point we passed them, which could have repercussions on the football side depending on what ISUr and UNI did, and very well could be detrimental to us in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              The MVC and MVFC are not the same conference from what I understood.
              Accurate. It was much easier to understand when the MVFC was the Gateway conference. The only affiliation the MVFC has with the MVC is that it happens to have the football schools from the MVC in it. It could be argued that the MVFC has a stronger tie to the Pioneer Football League (non scholly FCS) since we have the same commissioner. The MVC maybe has sway over the MVFC when the majority of members were MVC schools, but that power has swung to the Summit schools with the addition of UND (this could actually be something of an additional motivating factor for the football playing MVC schools to lobby to add the xDSUs, to restore MVC power in the MVFC votes).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                it would be nice if Midco could handle all our conference games (they just about do now),kind of third party Summit Network(make it possible to reimburse Midco or offer them a percentage or buy outright the video in exchange for them relinquishing their rights to their property (the video content) ,the conference could then sell subscriptions and re-distribute the funds to conference members and do away with each individual school selling their own subscriptions).There must be a way where all concerned could make money,with emphasis on the future and growing the market to where it becomes pretty profitable.Maybe I just think too big sometimes,it might not even be feasible to be able to get all concerned to agree on some kind of arrangement.If they could,it would help the conference grow and expand it's marketability,at least in each schools sphere of influence anyway.Better to buy a subscription for all games,home and away,rather than just half of the games (home games)Midco probably couldn't do it because they wouldn't have the resources to....but the schools could and let the video out in the form of a Summit League Conference Network subscription.We need more money if we all want to have the resources to make each team in the Conference better,especially struggling members.Need revenue to share,it's all about money and how much you have to invest for the future.The big TV Networks just don't seem too interested in giving TV coverage to the little guy ,unless they see where they can turn it into a big pile of $$$ ,so you have to do it yourself or forever remain irrelevent in their eyes.Even a small Network,to start,would be better than what we have now...SDSU might well be the only member who makes a pretty good income selling subscriptions I'd hazard a guess,and the Bison with their football also.
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-28-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Nothing has really changed, put the Summit tournament anywhere else outside of probably Fargo and it goes back to being what it always was. Like I said before....the XDSU's have been pulling the Summit plow. I think Thumper makes some good points about what we could bring to the MVC.

Also I have a hard time believing it would be an anchor, most networks are well aware about the online trend(just look at ESPN with ESPN3) and I would have to think any kind of relationship would be a positive in pursuing some kind of online conference platform. The MVC has relationships with ESPN, Fox and CBS, those are some pretty big players.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                    Accurate. It was much easier to understand when the MVFC was the Gateway conference. The only affiliation the MVFC has with the MVC is that it happens to have the football schools from the MVC in it. It could be argued that the MVFC has a stronger tie to the Pioneer Football League (non scholly FCS) since we have the same commissioner. The MVC maybe has sway over the MVFC when the majority of members were MVC schools, but that power has swung to the Summit schools with the addition of UND (this could actually be something of an additional motivating factor for the football playing MVC schools to lobby to add the xDSUs, to restore MVC power in the MVFC votes).

This is correct. But keep in mind:

1. The MVFC and the MVC are run out of the same office.
                    2. Patty V is the commissioner of the MVFC and also a Senoir Associate Commish for the MVC.

They are separate. And the amount that has been emphasized probably has a lot to do with the MVC privates throwing a fit if it wasn't clear. But there is certainly some grey area between the two, IMO.

Personally, I'd like to see the MVC dump the privates. The MVC privates can merge with the Summit basketball-ONLY schools.

Comment

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                      This is correct. But keep in mind:

1. The MVFC and the MVC are run out of the same office.
                      2. Patty V is the commissioner of the MVFC and also a Senoir Associate Commish for the MVC.

They are separate. And the amount that has been emphasized probably has a lot to do with the MVC privates throwing a fit if it wasn't clear. But there is certainly some grey area between the two, IMO.

Personally, I'd like to see the MVC dump the privates. The MVC privates can merge with the Summit basketball-ONLY schools.
                      Also, keep in mind that Patty V. is also the commissioner of the Pioneer Football League. If there is "grey area", it could be further blurred by that relationship. And, that might not be a bad thing.
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        Nothing has really changed, put the Summit tournament anywhere else outside of probably Fargo and it goes back to being what it always was. Like I said before....the XDSU's have been pulling the Summit plow. I think Thumper makes some good points about what we could bring to the MVC.

Also I have a hard time believing it would be an anchor, most networks are well aware about the online trend(just look at ESPN with ESPN3) and I would have to think any kind of relationship would be a positive in pursuing some kind of online conference platform. The MVC has relationships with ESPN, Fox and CBS, those are some pretty big players.
                        What's your point? Is that likely to happen?

If the Big10 tournament was in Alaska it wouldn't get very good attendance either.

If I lived on the moon I would have a long walk to the post office.

We have been pulling the Summit plow to an extent, I agree. Similarly, one or two MVFC schools will be pulling the MVC plow if Wichita State leaves.

Most networks are doing the bare minimum to provide online content to pander to shareholders, and they have fought the technology every step of the way. ESPN (and ESPN3) is losing eyeballs at a disturbing rate. Meanwhile subscriptions to actual online content providers grows and grows. I haven't watched Sportscenter in several years (OK, I occasionally have it on in the hotel room when I travel for work). If it was available via live streaming I would probably watch several days a week.

Which of these trends do you think has more future profit potential?

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If the Big10 tournament was in Alaska it wouldn't get very good attendance either.

We have been pulling the Summit plow to an extent, I agree. Similarly, one or two MVFC schools will be pulling the MVC plow if Wichita State leaves.

Most networks are doing the bare minimum to provide online content to pander to shareholders, and they have fought the technology every step of the way. ESPN (and ESPN3) is losing eyeballs at a disturbing rate. Meanwhile subscriptions to actual online content providers grows and grows. I haven't watched Sportscenter in several years (OK, I occasionally have it on in the hotel room when I travel for work). If it was available via live streaming I would probably watch several days a week.

Sure streaming has the most income potential in the future as far as possible contracts to conferences, but do you think that's magically going to manifest itself as bigger contracts for small conferences?

Comment

If anything happens I'd prefer to see a "merger" of the conferences as opposed to poaching 2 or 3 schools from one or the other. Seems impossible but we are allowed to dream.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sure streaming has the most income potential in the future as far as possible contracts to conferences, but do you think that's magically going to manifest itself as bigger contracts for small conferences?

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                                My guess is if SDSU and NDSU were both offered spots in the MVC together the only reason they don't jump on it is because the state doesn't allow it somehow because it would destroy the Summit after their little darlings (UxDs) just got into it and for SDSU it would kill the SLT for Sioux Falls. I wouldn't be surprised with either result tbh.

There could be some of that, but I think some of it is you know what you have with the Summit, you have the tournament in your back yard every year, and have strengthened it in a while. I don't know the full financials of the league, but do you want to leave it for a MVC who has lost their darlings in the past couple of years. Top to bottom right now is it a better conference? Yes, but I'm guessing UNI is looking at the AAC, or somewhere else, same with Southern Illinois, Indiana St? Same type of thing, and then you end up with a similar type of conference in 2-3 years but with no say like you had with the Summit League.

Comment

Working...
                                X