Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    UNI might join the Summit if there was an apocalypse and the only thing left was the Dakotas and Iowa, but they might just scrimmage themselves instead...

I still think the future for us is best aligned with the Montana schools. If this means we need to bring on the Idaho schools and Eastern Washington to keep their "local" rivals, so be it. But let's face it, geography isn't in our favor and means that if our outlier schools are pulled away, we really don't have many local schools to pull from.

I really have to wonder if traveling to SD/ND would be so much worse for the Big Sky northern schools than their trips to Flagstaff, Cedar City, and the southern California schools.
    Ugh I would hate having later game times. I think SDSU is best off trying to make the Summit the best it can be. The summit needs to do a better job selling it too. I am guessing it has more to do with MVC, horizon etc snobbery then anything.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I also would hate to see us join or form a conference that has a majority of its teams in the mountain or pacific time zones. I think some are beginning to panic before a reason to panic exist. I remember Douple saying on several occasions that there are multiple schools that have inquired about joining the Summit League. UND was undoubtedly one of those but I am prone to believe their are others as well. I am very curious as to who the MVC will eventually take and recognize that it may result in the loss of a team or two directly or indirectly, but I don't think we are in deep trouble. Time will tell and hopefully MVC will make the first decision in the near future.

Comment

I think there are a few things that need to be kept in mind.

1. At some point NDSU is going to go FCS. They are already talking about it and trying to figure out what it will take. So, they will be gone at some point and we will lose conference affiliation rivalry with them. Certainly, we would still play a bunch in all sports except maybe football. Five years from now they will be gone. Book it!
        2. All this talk about getting into bigger media markets is totally overblown. Omaha is third fiddle in Omaha for crying out loud. ORU is second fiddle in Tulsa and they are both below the Sooners and Cowboys. Hell, IUPUI and IPFW are always going to be second fiddle to the Purdue mother ship and they are also in Indiana where all that matters is Hoosiers. Nobody in KC cares about UMKC, it's all about KU and KState. Oakland is barely a blip on the Detroit radar.
        3. SDSU and NDSU have strengthened the Summit in a major way. Adding UND will be good also. I just don't see an apocalypse on the horizon for the Summit. Wow, see what I did there?
        4. It would be ideal to see either a St. Cloud or Mankato make the jump up and join the Summit. Would be a natural fit.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

1. At some point NDSU is going to go FCS. They are already talking about it and trying to figure out what it will take. So, they will be gone at some point and we will lose conference affiliation rivalry with them. Certainly, we would still play a bunch in all sports except maybe football. Five years from now they will be gone. Book it!
          2. All this talk about getting into bigger media markets is totally overblown. Omaha is third fiddle in Omaha for crying out loud. ORU is second fiddle in Tulsa and they are both below the Sooners and Cowboys. Hell, IUPUI and IPFW are always going to be second fiddle to the Purdue mother ship and they are also in Indiana where all that matters is Hoosiers. Nobody in KC cares about UMKC, it's all about KU and KState. Oakland is barely a blip on the Detroit radar.
          3. SDSU and NDSU have strengthened the Summit in a major way. Adding UND will be good also. I just don't see an apocalypse on the horizon for the Summit. Wow, see what I did there?
          4. It would be ideal to see either a St. Cloud or Mankato make the jump up and join the Summit. Would be a natural fit.

SUPERBUNNY
          Im fairly certain that ndsu is already fcs. I'll double check, but I think I'm correct. 😄 ( I know what you mean )

Don't bet on them leaving. A lot of future funding will be state government appropriated and North Dakota isn't as flush as they once were. I don't think they'll leave where there at.

I noticed in #3 every Dakota school got credit for strengthing the Summit but one. Intentional? Lol

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
            You are forgetting a team in South Bend, Indiana that has been more successful recently than Indiana. And they are a national name because of their football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
              The biggest way I see an apocolypse would be if the MVC would chose Omaha, Murray and Valpo. With the Horizon already talking about expanding I could see us losing all three of the Eastern schools to them and the OVC. That would be four schools down and would put the panic into Denver and ORU to seek other options.

I think my course of action would be....
              1) I would love to see us in a conference with the MVFC schools.....but they have shown through this process they have no interest in us.
              2) Next I would gauge the interest in the Montanas. Like minded schools are a good thing and if we could poach a couple of others as you mentioned that would be great also. Honestly can't see them giving up what they have, but given our geographical similarities I think it would be a long term relationship.
              3) If Valpo and Milwaukee go to the MVC I would check in with Green Bay and Illinois- Chicago. They would be western outliers who have lost their travel partners....they could become poachable.
              4) UMKC and UNC.....regional,regional,regional
              5) Not interested in schools further away as they would only be short term rentals until they could find a better offer. If we did go down that route I would like to see NMSU and Grand Canyon. They would raise the status of the league until we could get a more stable plan in place.
              6) If none of these work then we have to develop our own league by getting others to move up a division. I am not interested in Mankato, St. Cloud or Augie.....too much completion for Minnesota and Nebraska athletes will hurt all of the Dakota schools. We need to look elsewhere. Like a travel partner for ORU could maybe be Oklahoma City, Central Oklahoma or Southeast Oklahoma. Travel partners for Omaha or UMKC could maybe come from a Lindenwood, Washburn or a Northwest Missouri. Maybe we go to Michigan and look at two of Grand Valley State, Wayne State, Ferris State, or a Michigan Tech. In Colorado maybe a Metro State. I am not sure how viable any of those options are but we need to start thinking outside of the box for our long term future. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I seriously doubt if Minnesota State, Mankato or St. Cloud would move up. Right now, they're both staring down the barrel of serious budget problems. St. Cloud is in much worse shape than MSU, Mankato. Despite a $1.6 billion surplus in the state, both are looking at large budget cuts based on what the MN legislature is doing right now.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
                  1. I'm not so sure NDSU will go FBS. Playing Alabama and Ohio State is just a teensy bit different than playing Illinois State or James Madison or Montana. I'm sure they'll talk about it (5 straight! ButFootball!11!!!1eleventy!!) but doing it is quite a bit different than talking it. AND, frankly, I don't think that any FBS conferences will want them with the possible exception of the Sun Belt. FCS is already trying to drive off the Idahos and NMSU's of the world back into FCS--the WAC no longer sponsors football, and the Mountain West has higher aspirations I think. MWC or Big 12 might be the only conceivable options, but NDSU is kinda short one 40-50,000-seat stadium, not to mention one 10,000+ seat basketball arena that would be the minimum I think either the Big 12 or MWCwould consider.

2: ORU is #4 in Tulsa, after OSU, OU, and Tulsa, not #3.
                  3: Agree.
                  4: Agree but as others pointed out, MSU-Mankato isn't likely to be able to afford it, and St. Cloud definitely wouldn't be able to afford it.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    1. I'm not so sure NDSU will go FBS. Playing Alabama and Ohio State is just a teensy bit different than playing Illinois State or James Madison or Montana. I'm sure they'll talk about it (5 straight! ButFootball!11!!!1eleventy!!) but doing it is quite a bit different than talking it. AND, frankly, I don't think that any FBS conferences will want them with the possible exception of the Sun Belt. FCS is already trying to drive off the Idahos and NMSU's of the world back into FCS--the WAC no longer sponsors football, and the Mountain West has higher aspirations I think. MWC or Big 12 might be the only conceivable options, but NDSU is kinda short one 40-50,000-seat stadium, not to mention one 10,000+ seat basketball arena that would be the minimum I think either the Big 12 or MWCwould consider.
                    I completely agree with the NDSU to FBS talk. It's not going to happen. Yes, they've had some recent success, but that doesn't mean they can sustain it at a higher level. I know, their FBS record is great... blah blah... however, they have a severe recruiting advantage right now, they are THE top school in FCS that has a legit shot at the championship every year. They won't have that at the FBS level, as they will never get to the point of competing in the playoff, and they'll be just another lower tier FBS team in the eyes of recruits.

Imo, the P5 separating from the G5 or something similar is much more likely to happen, which will then change the whole landscape of college sports. I kind of hope it happens actually.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      I seriously doubt if Minnesota State, Mankato or St. Cloud would move up. Right now, they're both staring down the barrel of serious budget problems. St. Cloud is in much worse shape than MSU, Mankato. Despite a $1.6 billion surplus in the state, both are looking at large budget cuts based on what the MN legislature is doing right now.
                      Regarding the Mn schools, I wonder if the Gophers and their faithful would allow another Div I football school. It seems more like the UNO move where they gave up football so that the Huskers would sign off on the move. Maybe the hockey schools would agree to that?

Comment

I don't think it would be in the best interest of the Jacks for either Mankato or St. Cloud to go D-1 in anything other than hockey. There's just not enough corporate sponsorship in the region. I also don't think NDSU will go FBS. A few years of impressive but cyclical success in football doesn't justify dragging other sports programs up to a noncompetitive level. The Summit and Mo Valley (football) need to pursue additional teams to protect themselves, but they should focus on teams that already are D-1.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

I wouldn't mind one MN school as long as their football is getting Omaha'd. Mankato is kind of interesting, they have Glen Taylor to maybe help out and their hockey program is kind of the red-headed stepchild of the big four in MN. Hoops could be their niche but I'm not sure they would want to cut football. No way any of those schools could handle football at the MVFC level.

Expansion options are few and far between. If the Indiana schools left I would give NMSU a hard sell along with UMKC, not sure I want anyone else from the WAC though. Grand Canyon has good hoops but the whole for profit thing is a mess and I know Denver wants nothing to do with them. I guess UNC is another option but again football complicates that picture.

If the Summit loses Omaha, the league is going to be in a world of hurt.
                          Last edited by FargoBison; 04-27-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Good points, FargoB. The Summit really needs to keep Omaha, and it needs to keep an open mind on UMKC. I haven't been following the Grand Canyon situation. I'll have to check it out.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

On Grand Canyon in Phoenix,lots of snowbirds there from SD I suspect.Nice weather.They are a progressive up and coming transition school much like SDSU was.I'd go for them in the Summit. Sioux Falls has Allegiant airlines direct flights from SF to Phoenix,very fast trip.The schedule of flights is somewhat limited though.I think it's OK to have maybe one game out a ways during the conference season.How bout that market.eh!!!....j/k. I didn't know the WAC conference has their own digital network,surprising.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 04-27-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Rumors swirling that Omaha bombed their campus visit, not sure how a school manages to do that but apparently it can happen. Seems like Milwaukee has entrenched itself as being #12 if the Valley chooses to move in that direction.

I wonder if the Summit could take a run at GB, with Milwaukee going they would be kind of isolated in a conference that is kind of losing its luster.

Comment

Working...
                                X