Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Really? Omaha seems very appealing to a league that wants to add teams who won't challenge existing members for championships...
    Seems like a solid thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Really? Omaha seems very appealing to a league that wants to add teams who won't challenge existing members for championships...
      Then why not add UMKC, Omaha and IUPUI? Get those markets and also rans.

The league wanting to add Valpo and Murray makes it seem like they actually want to improve.

Comment

I wonder if they're still pursuing that sweet, sweet TV revenue money. /sarc

Wichita is the 69th largest TV market; Omaha is the 76th largest.

Valparaiso is in the Chicago market (where the MVC already is). Murray State is in the Paducah market, #78. Milwaukee is #35.

Indianapolis is #25, Kansas City is #31.

For reference, Sioux Falls is #113 and Fargo is #120. Ft. Wayne is #107.

(all rankings from http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets . . . your mileage may vary)
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

MVC will be in Omaha tomorrow...

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...-during-visit/

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Yikes!
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Yikes!
              So the world turns. I am not worried.

Comment

IF they take Omaha and get Valpo it could spell some serious problems for us in the Summit. Losing UNO, and if the Indiana schools get nabbed we are in trouble. Double better be ready to make moves, yesterday. And better ones than grabbing UMKC again...

But the Summit is the better and more stable conference right? That's what I keep reading anyways....
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  IF they take Omaha and get Valpo it could spell some serious problems for us in the Summit. Losing UNO, and if the Indiana schools get nabbed we are in trouble. Double better be ready to make moves, yesterday. And better ones than grabbing UMKC again...

But the Summit is the better and more stable conference right? That's what I keep reading anyways....
                  Yeah, if Omaha leaves the Summit is in trouble. What we need to do is pull some schools into the league that we share a common vision with but that is much easier said then done.

Adding UMKC will do nothing for the league, just another commuter school, that isn't dedicated to getting better and just wants to leave for greener pastures. I'm tired of being in a Horizon/MVC farm league. Something needs to change.

Comment

Yeah, if Omaha leaves the Summit is in trouble. What we need to do is pull some schools into the league that we share a common vision with but that is much easier said then done.

Adding UMKC will do nothing for the league, just another commuter school, that isn't dedicated to getting better and just wants to leave for greener pastures. I'm tired of being in a Horizon/MVC farm league. Something needs to change.
                    That why I felt summit should have tried to nab UNI and maybe ISU R. I know it probably never would have happened but should have struck when the iron was hot.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The common vision approach may be what the private schools in the MVC are steering with Valpo as a leading candidate. The public universities might be the add ons if the conference intends to grow to 12. We can hope that the Summit leadership can maintain positive direction and focus. The Denver, UND, and Omaha contingent can at least feel some common thread with the hockey programs which could foster some extra rival moments within the conference similar to the football side for other programs.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I was listening to a local radio talk show in Nebraska today and they touched on Omaha's consideration for the MVC. The one local host was stuck on traditional thinking of Omaha having a strong media market and the long time history of Creighton with the MVC.

I still don't see it. While UNO still gets a slice of the Omaha sports coverage, they are still the ugly step child compared to Creighton and the Huskers. I don't ever see them overcoming that. I get frustrated living in Kearney, when the Huskers spring practice always leads off the sports on the local network and then they will discuss the University of Nebraska, Kearney and then the high schools. It irks me to no end when you have to wait for coverage of Husker practice when you know that the local college or high schools may be competing for a conference or state championship. UNO has to live with that and the Blue Jays.

Comment

Maybe the MVC is tired of not having any members in, you know, the Missouri River watershed? (insert eyeroll here)
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I still don't get Omaha. Basketball centric league going after a hockey school, it doesn't make any sense. I could get it if Omaha was showing this massive amount of potential but they've been at best above average in the Summit.

Creighton and Husker fans fans aren't going to care about MVC hoops, hockey is Omaha's niche in that market. It is pretty clear their basketball attendance reflects that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              That why I felt summit should have tried to nab UNI and maybe ISU R. I know it probably never would have happened but should have struck when the iron was hot.
                              I have a better chance of marrying Rihanna than UNI and ISUr moving into the Summit.

People need to figure out we aren't a better conference or more stable when the MVCs moves have the potential to end with the Summit losing several members. Which also means we aren't a good enough conference to pull in those teams, or even have a conversation with them to do it.
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

UNI might join the Summit if there was an apocalypse and the only thing left was the Dakotas and Iowa, but they might just scrimmage themselves instead...

I still think the future for us is best aligned with the Montana schools. If this means we need to bring on the Idaho schools and Eastern Washington to keep their "local" rivals, so be it. But let's face it, geography isn't in our favor and means that if our outlier schools are pulled away, we really don't have many local schools to pull from.

I really have to wonder if traveling to SD/ND would be so much worse for the Big Sky northern schools than their trips to Flagstaff, Cedar City, and the southern California schools.

Comment

Working...
                                X