Wichita State Leaving MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

For basketball, I would rather stay at 10 members or less. With that number, you can have everyone play the other teams twice, and have a legitimate regular season champion. More than that and you play some teams twice and others only once, and some teams get an advantage because of scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      If the MVC poaches the Ohio Valley and Horizon conferences and those conferences poach IPFW, IUPUI and WIU, and the Summit can get a Northern Colorado to come with the already announced UND, and maybe even a UMKC would the fans accept it?

If you could get the Montana schools or even a Northern Arizona, Grand Canyon or New Mexico St what would you say? Or would one of those Texas schools make sense? A long time ago I made a list of schools I'd look at on this forum, some have been added already.

Right now with SDSU, NDSU, USD, UND, Omaha, Denver and Oral Roberts does it make more sense to hold the east flank or does it make more sense to expand to the west? I know baseball could be an issue but you could probably go find an associate member if you had to
      UMKC has fans? When did that happen? (Rare occurrence of Roo-smack. I regret nothing.)
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        UMKC has fans? When did that happen? (Rare occurrence of Roo-smack. I regret nothing.)

They were a Summit League school. Since when do Summit schools have fans at their basketball game?

ORU- enough said
        W. Illinois- have to raffle-off big prizes to get students at games
        Denver- hockey school (proof is last night)
        Omaha- heard there were just as many, if not more, Jacks fans at Omaha this year (also Hockey school)
        IUPUI- off-campus sites don't work, especially when you don't have the product to draw people there
        Fort Wayne- I don't know, I feel like they do ok for their tiny gym (2,000 seats?)
        Dakota schools- obviously doing the best at attendance (SDSU, ndsu, usd, in that order)

All current and recently left Summit schools need to do better at attendance, including SDSU. I'm not saying everyone needs to take the Western Illinois route, but it's a problem the conference needs to figure out together.

Attendance will be a big reason why the Missouri Valley won't look at the Summit League too hard during today's meeting.

P.S. When filbert adds smack to a non-smack thread.
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          For basketball, I would rather stay at 10 members or less. With that number, you can have everyone play the other teams twice, and have a legitimate regular season champion. More than that and you play some teams twice and others only once, and some teams get an advantage because of scheduling.
          10 or less sets the conference up to be in serious trouble if we lose a member or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            10 or less sets the conference up to be in serious trouble if we lose a member or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            With the scheduling problems facing teams I'm guessing you could go to 12 and still play everyone twice. Would you rather have another conference home game, or play either a non-conference home and home or a D-II school?

Comment

• Re: Wichita State leaves MVC for AAC

It does seem to be trending toward larger conferences lately. Insecurity perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                It does seem to be trending toward larger conferences lately. Insecurity perhaps?
                I'm sure there is some of that, but it depends on the conference, the larger ones it's about money, for the smaller ones it's some insecurity, some scheduling, some if it makes sense type of a thing.

If I had to rank schools on who I'd target in order (This is Summit League, not factoring in football side of things, just who I'd look at if football could get taken care of its process)

1. Northern Colorado (Old NCC foe, close to Denver, would fit geographically)
                2. Arkansas-Little Rock (Geographically it fits, support their athletics)
                3. Grand Canyon University (probably because I live in Arizona now that I'd put them this high, but they have a solid arena, solid sports programs, they get good media in the state, and are out of transition) Right in Phoenix, so travel would be relatively easy.
                4. UMKC- Geographically and competitively they fit too well not to consider them; I'd put some restrictions on them rejoining (baseball), big exit fee if they left again
                5. UTSA, NMSU, North Texas, Montana, Montana St., Northern Arizona- They'd fit but I don't know how much travel you want to add if you don't have too.

My belief is UNC is in the works, similar to UND they'll have to figure out football.
                I think UMKC would come back if they were asked, but I wouldn't want to ask them, I'd make them ask (yeah I'm stuborn)
                UALR- Its that girl who you like, and you both know it'd make sense, but she already has a bf that she likes, kinda of a deal with UALR
                Grand Canyon University- The schools image has grown every year I've been in Arizona, they are expanding their campus, they have a nice arena, solid sports image, and are out of transition. Its one of those you'd keep an eye on because they are a better option than other schools. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in the Big SKy

Comment

If we lose the three eastern schools to the Horizon or OVC here is the conference I would like to see.

UND and NDSU
                  SDSU and USD
                  UNO and UMKC
                  DENVER and Northern Colorado
                  ORU and maybe Arkansas Little Rock
                  NMSU and Grand Canyon State

That would put us in metros of Denver, Omaha, Kansas City and Phoenix which would help with recruiting and travel. I think NMSU and Grand Canyon would instantly make us a better conference which will make everyone raise there game.

Comment

I have a uni source saying the xDSU's have been contacted by the valley.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

Wow......

Comment

I would guess that a fairly large number of schools (6-8 or more) will probably be contacted to see if they have any interest, which is a long way from being asked to join.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

What did they say...."your basketball programs aren't good enough, but please don't pull out of the football alliance?

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            What did they say...."your basketball programs aren't good enough, but please don't pull out of the football alliance?
                            Good question Ne. Jack. As of right now I've only heard that contact was made no further details yet. Perhaps just guageing interest?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I would guess that a fairly large number of schools (6-8 or more) will probably be contacted to see if they have any interest, which is a long way from being asked to join.
                              Strong interest by SDSU would signal 100% turnaround from Sell's recent statements. Anything is possible.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                Strong interest by SDSU would signal 100% turnaround from Sell's recent statements. Anything is possible.
                                I think Sell said what he had to say in that situation. It was early in the process last week before anything was official about WSU. You don't want to "rock the boat" if there is no real reason to.

Comment

Working...
                                X