Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
    Let the game begin. I am now officially nervous about what the MVC is going to do. I doubt they make any decisions in their "Emergency Meeting" scheduled for this Sunday. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ext/100134890/

Comment

• Re: Wichita State leaves MVC for AAC

I feel like they will take only 1 school but will consider the possibility of taking 3. Their meeting on Sunday will be very important in deciding this and making a list of schools they will consider.

I think the xDSUs are out of the picture. "Small" markets, small cities (well, Fargo isn't small), and they're out in the middle of nowhere. They'll take weaker basketball programs if they are in a big city for the for the supposed market there. I think Belmont and UMKC will be high on their list.
      Rollin' in my 5.0
      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

I feel like they will take only 1 school but will consider the possibility of taking 3. Their meeting on Sunday will be very important in deciding this and making a list of schools they will consider.

I think the xDSUs are out of the picture. "Small" markets, small cities (well, Fargo isn't small), and they're out in the middle of nowhere. They'll take weaker basketball programs if they are in a big city for the for the supposed market there. I think Belmont and UMKC will be high on their list.
        Hahahaha....UMKC.

Comment

I hate to say this... 4 years ago I would have loved for us to have the chance to join the Valley, it would be stupid to turn it down. Now, I don't know? In large part because of the exposure of having the Summit League Tourney in Sioux Falls each year. Whatever happens, I hope that NDSU and SDSU are in it together.

Comment

How about The Summit Poaches UNI and ISUr? Seems like a good move for them and us. because without those 2 the Valley is an afterthought.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              How about The Summit Poaches UNI and ISUr? Seems like a good move for them and us. because without those 2 the Valley is an afterthought.
              That's what I was thinking when I mentioned us go for UNi, which makes sense to me since they have had a history with the Dakota schools. They might not see it the same way. But UNI comes here and I think we are a stronger conference then MVC, if ISUR which I would find it harder to make that sell also, but if they both could I think that would be great. or we trade them ISUr for IUPUI
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                That's what I was thinking when I mentioned us go for UNi, which makes sense to me since they have had a history with the Dakota schools. They might not see it the same way. But UNI comes here and I think we are a stronger conference then MVC, if ISUR which I would find it harder to make that sell also, but if they both could I think that would be great. or we trade them ISUr for IUPUI
                This sounds good, but there is so much arrogance on the MVC side and especially from UNI that I don't they would consider it. Again, maybe a few arrogant posters on Panthernation are clouding my judgement, but I think it makes more sense to post a few of the public schools.

Comment

In your mind is Omaha a better candidate?

I think both of the xDSU's are candidates because of (a) football connection that exists already. Relatively speaking it is not that far outside the geographical footprint and (c) potential fan support.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                    In your mind is Omaha a better candidate?

I think both of the xDSU's are candidates because of (a) football connection that exists already. Relatively speaking it is not that far outside the geographical footprint and (c) potential fan support.
                    Considering who the MVC decided to add when Creighton left I'm not going to hold my breath that they would come after the XDSU's. I think a lot of valid arguments can be made for us but their past actions seems to suggest they don't look as favorably at us as we look at us.

If I was betting, I think Belmont is a likely candidate.

Comment

I would rather see the Summit get aggressive and see if we can't poach the Montana schools and look to make our own football conference. The arrogance of the MVC schools (at least their board fans) makes me want to have no part of them in any sport. When they are more interested in UMKC, Denver, or Omaha than us it tells me they really aren't looking to improve that conference.

Comment

Per Jon Rothstein Twitter:

Sources: MVC targeting VALPO, Murray State as new additions following loss of Wichita State.

Comment

I have read that Belmont isn't interested, but that may have just been positioning. Murray State is an interesting possibility. I was somewhat surprised when the MVC schools in the MVFC agreed to add North Dakota since they had been so hesitant in the past to make more trips to the Dakotas. But maybe their has been something going on behind the scenes on this and letting UND in to the MVFC brought with it an agreement to bring in a 12th school to the MVFC from the east when Wichita State left the MVC leading to two divisions in the MVFC and as a result no increase in travel after all. Always fun to try to guess if these things are all well thought through in advance or what.

Comment

Valpo and Murray St. make sense for basketball schools. That would say the quality of athletics is important to them in this move. I really thought they would continue to go after places with big cities for their "big markets" even if the quality of athletics wasn't so great. That's why I thought places like UMKC or our hockey schools, Omaha and Denver, could get invites. I really like this CBS Sports article on who The Valley should take. The top 4 in the list really make sense to me.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...and-creighton/
                            Rollin' in my 5.0
                            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Valpo and Murray St. make sense for basketball schools. That would say the quality of athletics is important to them in this move. I really thought they would continue to go after places with big cities for their "big markets" even if the quality of athletics wasn't so great. That's why I thought places like UMKC or our hockey schools, Omaha and Denver, could get invites. I really like this CBS Sports article on who The Valley should take. The top 4 in the list really make sense to me.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...and-creighton/
                              Adding Loyola has been a disaster for the MVC, I think that has cooled the league on big market expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                                Adding Loyola has been a disaster for the MVC, I think that has cooled the league on big market expansion.
                                My question is how the hell they couldn't see that coming?

Comment

Working...
                                X