Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
    Anything else I find says the AAC is just going to vote on taking them sometime this week. It sounds like the schools are almost for sure going to vote yes, and the Shockers will be out of the MVC. The next month could get very interesting for many conferences.
    Agree that this could get interesting. With the Wichita move to the AAC seeming like a done deal by tomorrow's reported vote, the more I lean toward the Missouri Valley. At least where things stand currently. Admittedly, this is all a hypothetical chain argument, but it is interesting to discuss, sooooo here are my thoughts.
    If we stay in the SL and no other movement happens - The SL is stable, all Dakota schools and Omaha together, tourney in Sioux Falls. This is not a bad deal, for now...
    If the MVC poaches 2 or more schools from SL, and/or HL (Omaha, ORU, Valpo, etc) - This has potential to set off a string of conference realignment. Are we confident that other schools are as committed to the SL as the Dakota's are? If we lose a few schools, who do we add? Is anyone from those other conferences hoping that they can get an invite into the SL? Is the SL still desirable to us? Would Centenary come back to help stabilize the conference? To me, this is the worst case scenario of being on the wrong side of conference realignment and the SL would be on life support taking whomever will stay with us for a year or more.
    If the MVC invites 1 (Belmont) from the OVC - The OVC would still be stable at 11 schools, this could be the end of any movement. This scenario would cause the least amount of waves throughout the conferences.
    If we leave with NDSU to MVC - Split up some of the Dakota rivalries again, give up Sioux Falls tourney but I think this puts us in the drivers seat on conference realignment. This stabilizes the MVC, it also instantly makes the MVC the most desirable conference for UNO or teams located in the Dakota's.

Conference realignment isn't going to end until there is a G5/P5 split, or until the P5 have created the P4 with 16 school super conferences. It is about consolidating Power (MONEY). Until that time comes we need to continue to position ourselves as best we can to be in a position with options. Maybe my above logic is flawed or maybe none of this comes to fruition. All I want is for SDSU to not be out in the cold when the music stops. I keep thinking that if an invitation is thrown our way, we start dancing towards the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
      Would Centenary come back to help stabilize the conference? To me, this is the worst case scenario of being on the wrong side of conference realignment and the SL would be on life support taking whomever will stay with us for a year or more..
      Centenary College moved down to Div III. If they came back to Summit League, I would question the Athletic Dept. big time on their decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        Centenary College moved down to Div III. If they came back to Summit League, I would question the Athletic Dept. big time on their decisions.
        Facetiousness...kind of. I was attempting to point out that our options are probably limited for stopping the bleeding if a few schools decide to leave. I will try to be more obvious with my backhanded comments next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
          Facetiousness...kind of. I was attempting to point out that our options are probably limited for stopping the bleeding if a few schools decide to leave. I will try to be more obvious with my backhanded comments next time.
          My sarcasm reader is down today...

Comment

The notion of SDSU going to the MVC at this time seems remote. Omaha could be in the conversation, but like Denver where hockey is the premier sport, it seems unlikely the MVC would value the Omaha(Denver) market when hockey is the draw. The fans may have a higher loft for MVC as a destination than the AD's and university presidents of the Summit. The Summit has vaulted as quickly as the Jackrabbits and Bison have put together strong DI programs and the other Dakota schools and Omaha have improved programs as well. Also, the footprint of the MVC may be leaning a bit more east than west. The MVC may not become the newest WAC situation, but they are definitely not the conference of 5-40 years ago as the top 2 basketball programs have moved out. Look at the Horizon post Butler for another picture.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

My gut reaction is that the MVC will first look to the Horizon League (Valpo, Oakland), or possibly the OVC (Belmont, Murray State), if they are inclined to replace WSU at all.

The Horizon might then look to poach one of the Indiana schools--probably IPFW but maybe IUPUI either/too. I don't think the OVC will look to bring in any Summit schools, and except for SDSU/NDSU, I'm not sure that there are any Summit schools that would be of interest to the Valley.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                I'd say inviting MSU-Mankato would be far more likely than approaching Centenary again. Another out-of-the-box expansion idea for the Summit would be Oklahoma City, currently an NAIA school but with a long basketball history. They've occasionally made noises about maybe giving D-I another try in the past, and were last in the NCAA tournament in 1973.

Heck, we could do worse than Northwest Missouri State, too.

If the Summit even will need to re-stock, which I'm not sure will actually happen.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Let's not forget that any school leaving would have to write a $1 Million check to the Summit League. Yes, very do-able but it isn't just chump change to somebody like Omaha either.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                    Let's not forget that any school leaving would have to write a $1 Million check to the Summit League. Yes, very do-able but it isn't just chump change to somebody like Omaha either.
                    That might be something the MVC would do with the tournament shares that Wichita State would be forfeiting.

Comment

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/col...922a8eca2.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Quote from a guy who might have more of a "big picture" view.

But remove the Shockers ... and where exactly does this conference stand? "I’d say like the CAA," said college basketball guru Ken Pomeroy, founder of the popular KenPom statistical system. Kind of similar to that, where you have one or two top-100 teams every year — but not really a serious at-large candidate most years. Things have to go kind of perfectly. You need that 17-1 or 16-2 team in your conference basically to get an at-large.I think (the other MVC schools should be) very concerned (without Wichita State),” . “It kind of relegates the Valley to being a one-bid league, I think, going forward.… I think it’s a pretty big deal, and it knocks the conference down two or three pegs in terms of prestige among other conferences."
                        http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ext/100134890/

Comment

I think the Valley will look to add one school to keep membership at an even number for scheduling purposes. That lessens the chance of a Summit raid - Belmont would seem to be the logical choice, since they were high on the priority list when Creighton left.

Comment

Sounds like Wichita State is in on unanimous vote

@SIPeteThamel :SOURCE: Wichita State has been unanimously voted into the AAC, pending final paperwork the Shockers are in.
                            https://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel/sta...57217660481537

Comment

So it begins.......

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...state-shockers
                              Rollin' in my 5.0
                              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

• Wichita State leaves MVC for AAC

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...state-shockers

Will there be Summit league ramifications? MVC now sits at 9.

Football conference already includes NDSU and SDSU. Could be a natural fit!

Comment

Working...
                                X