Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    There could be some of that, but I think some of it is you know what you have with the Summit, you have the tournament in your back yard every year, and have strengthened it in a while. I don't know the full financials of the league, but do you want to leave it for a MVC who has lost their darlings in the past couple of years. Top to bottom right now is it a better conference? Yes, but I'm guessing UNI is looking at the AAC, or somewhere else, same with Southern Illinois, Indiana St? Same type of thing, and then you end up with a similar type of conference in 2-3 years but with no say like you had with the Summit League.
    These thoughts crossed my mind too...I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      What's your point? Is that likely to happen?

If the Big10 tournament was in Alaska it wouldn't get very good attendance either.

If I lived on the moon I would have a long walk to the post office.

We have been pulling the Summit plow to an extent, I agree. Similarly, one or two MVFC schools will be pulling the MVC plow if Wichita State leaves.

Most networks are doing the bare minimum to provide online content to pander to shareholders, and they have fought the technology every step of the way. ESPN (and ESPN3) is losing eyeballs at a disturbing rate. Meanwhile subscriptions to actual online content providers grows and grows. I haven't watched Sportscenter in several years (OK, I occasionally have it on in the hotel room when I travel for work). If it was available via live streaming I would probably watch several days a week.

Which of these trends do you think has more future profit potential?
      You can watch Sportscenter via WatchESPN if your cable company gives you access to that content. ESPN provides access to the content but if your cable company's package doesn't include WatchESPN access to live TV content then you won't get it. Thankfully my provider does include it.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        You can watch Sportscenter via WatchESPN if your cable company gives you access to that content. ESPN provides access to the content but if your cable company's package doesn't include WatchESPN access to live TV content then you won't get it. Thankfully my provider does include it.
        with our midco, we don't have cable anymore, just internet. So we can only watch ESPN3 things. If the game is on ESPN or ESPN2, we wont be able to watch it. Unless I am doing something wrong......which is totally possible. Which that means I can watch the Midco coverage on ESPN3.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Very good Q&A session that Zimmer did with Justin Sell about athletics, the Summit League, and conference affiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            Very good Q&A session that Zimmer did with Justin Sell about athletics, the Summit League, and conference affiliation.
            That was very good.

My favorite part?

Our budget when Sell started was $10.5 million with 72% coming from the State, University or students.

Today our budget is $20.5 million with 39% from the State, University or students.

How many schools can say they've more essentially doubled their athletic department budget while simultaneously reducing the percentage of support from the State, University, or students by 33%? We've doubled our budget and are only getting $435k more support from those source than we were 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
              As Goon said, we only have internet with Midco so WatchESPN is very limited. Unless something changed or I did something wrong when accessing through WatchESPN.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                That was very good.

My favorite part?

Our budget when Sell started was $10.5 million with 72% coming from the State, University or students.

Today our budget is $20.5 million with 39% from the State, University or students.

How many schools can say they've more essentially doubled their athletic department budget while simultaneously reducing the percentage of support from the State, University, or students by 33%? We've doubled our budget and are only getting $435k more support from those source than we were 10 years ago.
                That is very commendable.

This is why I'm generally supportive of our stingy legislature. Necessity is the mother of invention. If we had a state government that wrote a blank check to higher ed, would our fundraising efforts have been as successful? Would the athletic department have worked as hard to raise those funds? I am doubtful.

Apparently Northern Iowa has an athletics budget of only $14 million??? Can that be possible? If so, that is pretty shocking considering their higher coaching salaries and equal or higher travel costs.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...lity/96721104/
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  What's your point? Is that likely to happen?

If the Big10 tournament was in Alaska it wouldn't get very good attendance either.

If I lived on the moon I would have a long walk to the post office.

We have been pulling the Summit plow to an extent, I agree. Similarly, one or two MVFC schools will be pulling the MVC plow if Wichita State leaves.

Most networks are doing the bare minimum to provide online content to pander to shareholders, and they have fought the technology every step of the way. ESPN (and ESPN3) is losing eyeballs at a disturbing rate. Meanwhile subscriptions to actual online content providers grows and grows. I haven't watched Sportscenter in several years (OK, I occasionally have it on in the hotel room when I travel for work). If it was available via live streaming I would probably watch several days a week.

Which of these trends do you think has more future profit potential?

Those networks don't want to end up like newspapers, I garauntee you that they are investing and evolving way more then the bare minimum.

ESPN is offering their network thru online services, I think we'll move into something more a la carte as things continue to evolve.

Comment

The budget has nearly doubled. As an old guy, I don't think fan benefits have improved that much except that the wealthy drunk lady that sat behind me at CAS has been elevated to a suite in the sky only to be replaced by a constant motion of beer drinkers getting free beer. So I am debating renewing my tickets for Fb.

Comment

I will say this, UND cut women's hockey today. That is great news for the Summit, that program lost $1.4 million a year and that is with the men's program shouldering the entire burden of expenses related to the facility.

Maybe now they will be able to afford to pay their MBB coach a DI salary.

Comment

UND definitely isn't overpaying men's BB coach Brian Jones. Saw the list of the salary of all the coaches whose teams made the Big Dance. Jones makes just over $109,000, as opposed to Otz at $300,000. They are going to have to step that up if they want to be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          The budget has nearly doubled. As an old guy, I don't think fan benefits have improved that much except that the wealthy drunk lady that sat behind me at CAS has been elevated to a suite in the sky only to be replaced by a constant motion of beer drinkers getting free beer. So I am debating renewing my tickets for Fb.
                          Move to the east side. No beer drinking over there

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                            I will say this, UND cut women's hockey today. That is great news for the Summit, that program lost $1.4 million a year and that is with the men's program shouldering the entire burden of expenses related to the facility.

Maybe now they will be able to afford to pay their MBB coach a DI salary.
                            UND managed to handle every situation poorly. Apparently the news leaked out to the media before the student athletes were informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              UND managed to handle every situation poorly. Apparently the news leaked out to the media before the student athletes were informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Yeah, it has turned into a mess. Never easy to cut a sport but I hate seeing student athletes find out things like this from the press.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                                Move to the east side. No beer drinking over there
                                Nah just venting, going to renew. I don't think I can get out of the 10 year agreement.

Comment

Working...
                                X