Wichita State Leaving MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wichita State Leaving MVC

Summit should try to get UNI. frankly that would be a great get and strengthen the core area of the summit. Probably just me but I think that would be best for Summit and UNI, which by making the summit stronger is good for SDSU.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
      I would think they realized after Loyola that most mid majors located in a Metro are nothing but after thoughts. I bet their first offer goes to someone with a little more basketball tradition and a financial commitment to grow the program.
      Public-private membership balance is A Thing for the Valley. I would expect a push by the 4 private members to replace WSU with another private to restore the 5-public-5-private balance. Valpo, maybe?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wichita State Leaving MVC

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Summit should try to get UNI. frankly that would be a great get and strengthen the core area of the summit. Probably just me but I think that would be best for Summit and UNI, which by making the summit stronger is good for SDSU.
        Oh we could try but there is no way on gods green earth UNI goes to the Summit. Like ever.

Also don't see how it's better for UNI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          Oh we could try but there is no way on gods green earth UNI goes to the Summit. Like ever.

Also don't see how it's better for UNI

I know its just one year, but last year Summit had higher RPI then MVC. Take out Wichita and the Summit most years in the not so distant future pass the MVC as a mid major. UNI has a history with the Dakota schools too, not as recent, but they do. It would be better for UNI to join a stronger conference is why. Guess I feel the Summit is trending in the right direction, which would make it more attractive to other schools, not less.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            I know its just one year, but last year Summit had higher RPI then MVC. Take out Wichita and the Summit most years in the not so distant future pass the MVC as a mid major. UNI has a history with the Dakota schools too, not as recent, but they do. It would be better for UNI to join a stronger conference is why. Guess I feel the Summit is trending in the right direction, which would make it more attractive to other schools, not less.
            Except outside of the Dakota schools there isn't much to be excited about. And the UxDs are questionable at best.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
              So what about ISUr? They realistically should have been selected as a at large this year. Plus UNI, and schools like SIU, MSU, and ISUb who have a history of being good programs with tourney appearances, wins, and even top 25 rankings. What single Summit school brings more than one tourney win to the table? Essentially the MVC is at its worst it's been in 25 years and the Summit/Gateway is at its best in that time and STILL is not at the level of the MVC. I'm not sold on going to the MVC at all, but to pretend that the Summit is on par with them now is a bit silly IMO.

When Wichita leaves the Valley the Summit will be closer to being on par with the MVC than you want to believe. And I wouldn't be as sure as you are stating repeatedly that UNI would never consider the Summit. Never is a long time. I feel we should stay in the Summit for now, but don't want the primary reason to be because the Summit League Tournament is in Sioux Falls.

Comment

The Summit is not the same conference form 10 years ago much like the MVC is not the same conference it was 10 years ago. The Summit has moved out of its single wide trailer and they moved into a nice modern ranch house. It is the progress of the D1 American dream. Meanwhile the MVC has a 2 story house that was built 60 years ago for $250,000. The problem is that they have some leaking pipes, 30 year old shingles, windows that do not close tight, and a few problems that occurred when they hired Loyola-Chicago to help update the kitchen with outdated blueprints and some parts from Restore. There is still some of the original hardwood floors in good condition, but the shine is definitely off the mopboards. It will bring more on the market than a ranch, but it will cost new owners more than the real market value. MVC has some good remaining teams with WSU and ISUr at 33 and 32 RPI. The rest of the conference is 145 to 314. WSU leaves and the value will diminish more. The MVC mansion needs major renovations. The Summit is taking some little steps as Omaha, Vermillion, Denver, Fargo, Indianapolis, Tulsa's big arena, and soon to be renovated Brookings facilities improve the look of arenas. One should not ignore the progress of the Summit in the past 10 years. Is the Summit as good of a basketball conference? It is lagging some behind the MVC. It is still a respectable mid major conference that is moving in the right direction regardless how the next round of reorganization evolves. The MVC may have another agenda on it's future as it brought in Loyola-Chicago rather than an Omaha or UMKC or ORU or Oakland(who found their dream bus conference).
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I thought UNI parked their wrestling in the MAC instead of BIG 12 in hopes of that becoming a final resting spot for all sports. Short of complete implosion with no other options I don't believe UNI would ever consider the Summit. I'm wit Thumper on that. That would be like us fearing the Summit shutting down and asking the WAC for a home.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    The Summit is not the same conference form 10 years ago much like the MVC is not the same conference it was 10 years ago. The Summit has moved out of its single wide trailer and they moved into a nice modern ranch house. It is the progress of the D1 American dream. Meanwhile the MVC has a 2 story house that was built 60 years ago for $250,000. The problem is that they have some leaking pipes, 30 year old shingles, windows that do not close tight, and a few problems that occurred when they hired Loyola-Chicago to help update the kitchen with outdated blueprints and some parts from Restore. There is still some of the original hardwood floors in good condition, but the shine is definitely off the mopboards. It will bring more on the market than a ranch, but it will cost new owners more than the real market value. MVC has some good remaining teams with WSU and ISUr at 33 and 32 RPI. The rest of the conference is 145 to 314. WSU leaves and the value will diminish more. The MVC mansion needs major renovations. The Summit is taking some little steps as Omaha, Vermillion, Denver, Fargo, Indianapolis, Tulsa's big arena, and soon to be renovated Brookings facilities improve the look of arenas. One should not ignore the progress of the Summit in the past 10 years. Is the Summit as good of a basketball conference? It is lagging some behind the MVC. It is still a respectable mid major conference that is moving in the right direction regardless how the next round of reorganization evolves. The MVC may have another agenda on it's future as it brought in Loyola-Chicago rather than an Omaha or UMKC or ORU or Oakland(who found their dream bus conference).
                    Take all the juice from Wichita State out of the RPI equation, and every team in the league would probably drop 20 spots on RPI. ISUr was the only MVC team to beat WSU, which bumps their RPI even more.

As of right now, MVC isn't any better at basketball than the Summit.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think the 4 Dakota schools plus Omaha are a great core for the Summit, and all are on a good trajectory between increased spending and improving facilities. I don't think its a stretch to say they can all be 50-150 RPI teams with consistency. ORU is really struggling, but they've shown in the past they can put out good teams, and it seems Denver and IPFW have made strides as well.

I like the trajectory the conference is on, especially with UND coming on board in two years. I don't think it is a stretch to say that it can be a similar strength conference to the MVC if they lose WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                        I thought UNI parked their wrestling in the MAC instead of BIG 12 in hopes of that becoming a final resting spot for all sports. Short of complete implosion with no other options I don't believe UNI would ever consider the Summit. I'm wit Thumper on that. That would be like us fearing the Summit shutting down and asking the WAC for a home.
                        Without Wichita State, the MVC and Summit are currently roughly equal as far as basketball quality goes.

If UNI moved to the Summit, the Summit would be better than the MVC in basketball quality. By a decent margin. Take UNI and ISUr, and suddenly the two leagues aren't even comparable.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The big east years ago was loaded. After changing one or 2 teams who would have thought the conference would die the way it did. What's left is a fraction of what it use too be.

I could see attendance being an issue. some of the outer summit schools lag in attendance and gyms. Coaches pay probably pretty far behind too. Doesn't UNI have some budget issues? I don't recall but thought they had some money issues more then other schools around.

Comment

I think it is foolish to look at a few years of results and say the two are equal. MVC schools collectively have a history of much more success, even without WSU.

The fact remains NDSU and SDSU are the only schools that have recently come close to competing on a level of MVC schools consistently. I won't begin to put the Summit on the same level until I see some more depth and high level results.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                              I think it is foolish to look at a few years of results and say the two are equal. MVC schools collectively have a history of much more success, even without WSU.

The fact remains NDSU and SDSU are the only schools that have recently come close to competing on a level of MVC schools consistently. I won't begin to put the Summit on the same level until I see some more depth and high level results.
                              The collective history will need to be edited going forward without Creighton and WSU. Drake was good in the 1960s. It may be foolish to attribute qualities to MVC based on their long history as there has been more change in the past 5 years than 50 years before that. There is still some good basketball there, but the next 5 years could be less glorious with the Shockers ready to bolt.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                Exactly.

USD, a school that just won the regular season title, has a brand new basketball facility, and will be competitive for at least the next 2 years, just about lost (one could argue they did for a small time) their young head coach that had been there for three years to........Drake. That tells me all I need to know about the desirability of the MV. Craig Smith was willing to leave a pretty damn good thing for a more money at a middle tier (at best) Drake.

Yes, Illinois State didn't make the tourney, but they were one of the last 4 out. When has that happened to a Summit men's team?

If the MV comes calling, we need to take a hard look at it. We need to do what's best for SDSU long-term.......not the Summit League, Sioux Falls, or anyone else.
                                2012, ORU was on the first 4 out list. If they had made the Summit Finals, instead of losing to WIU in the semi's, and then lost to SDSU then they might have been in. Or even if a team like Iona had won their tournament then they might have been in that way too.

AnvhucfCMAAG8uc.jpg
                                Go State! Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X