"Championship Weekend"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Championship Weekend"....

i know a few years back (i believe it was at the same time of the announcement of combining the State AA boys and girls) there was some mention of having a "Championship Weekend" for all boys and girls classes that would be held at the SFPC. i believe Dykehouse was one of the leaders to promote this concept. i haven't heard anything about this since and wondered if it might be "dead in the water"? does anyone have anything "newsy" on this? if it is done right, i actually thought it was intriguing.

Re: "Championship Weekend"....

B's need to stay in Aberdeen. A's are fine at the Denny and i dont know what to do with AA's. Having any tourney in Rapid City isnt a good idea. West River gets one team in A and AA, why are we having fans travel that far to games? Oh hold it, they dont travel that far. They stay home AA attendace was pathetic
    Last edited by mitchellrabbit; 03-19-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

All tourneys, girls and boys, need to be in SF on 1 or 2 weekends - preferably 1 if the logistics work out. Use Augie, USF and old Arena to make it work.

If there aren't enough gyms or times then if you lose your first round game - you are done. No consolation bracket but continue with the 3rd and 4th place game for the two semifinal losers if you want. Having 3 state title games back to back to back on the same night would be something I'd attend. Likely would have to spread it out over 4 days maybe depending on how many gyms you want to utilize.

MN pulls it off by using 3 gyms and all 4 classes of boys hoops play an 8-team tourney. And they still do consolation bracket (award 1st thru 8th place). Target Center, U of M Williams Arena, Concordia St. Paul are their venues and it is played over 4 days (Wed-Sat). All 4 title games are contested on the Saturday (11AM, 1PM, 5PM, 8PM).

Sign me up for that action!

Here is their schedule:

2017 State Basketball Tournament-Class A
      Quarterfinals
      Red Lake vs. #1 Minneapolis North Community H.S. 3/23/2017 11:00 AM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      #5 Springfield vs. #4 Nevis 3/23/2017 1:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      Lake Park-Audubon vs. #2 Goodhue 3/23/2017 3:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      North Woods vs. #3 Central Minnesota Christian 3/23/2017 5:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      Semifinals
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 12:00 PM @ Target Center
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 2:00 PM @ Target Center
      Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 11:00 AM @ Target Center
      3rd Place
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 10:00 AM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Semifinals
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 10:00 AM @ Concordia
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 12:00 PM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 8:00 AM @ Concordia
      2017 State Basketball Tournament-Class AA
      Quarterfinals
      Lake City vs. #1 Minnehaha Academy 3/22/2017 6:00 PM @ Target Center
      #5 Jackson County Central vs. #4 Annandale 3/22/2017 8:00 PM @ Target Center
      New Richland-H-E-G H.S. vs. #2 St. Cloud Cathedral 3/22/2017 6:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      Breckenridge vs. #3 Crosby-Ironton 3/22/2017 8:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      Semifinals
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 6:00 PM @ Target Center
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 8:00 PM @ Target Center
      Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 1:00 PM @ Target Center
      3rd Place
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 12:00 PM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Semifinals
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 6:00 PM @ Concordia
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 8:00 PM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 2:00 PM @ Concordia
      2017 State Basketball Tournament-Class AAA
      Quarterfinals
      Big Lake vs. #1 DeLaSalle 3/22/2017 10:00 AM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      #5 Columbia Heights vs. #4 Fergus Falls 3/22/2017 12:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      St. Thomas Academy vs. #2 Austin 3/22/2017 2:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      Grand Rapids vs. #3 Marshall 3/22/2017 4:00 PM @ Williams Arena, U of M
      Semifinals
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 12:00 PM @ Target Center
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 2:00 PM @ Target Center
      Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 5:00 PM @ Target Center
      3rd Place
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 2:00 PM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Semifinals
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 2:00 PM @ Concordia
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 4:00 PM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 4:00 PM @ Concordia
      2017 State Basketball Tournament-Class AAAA
      Quarterfinals
      Chaska - 50 vs. #1 Champlin Park - 53 Summary/Box
      #5 Wayzata vs. #4 Lakeville North 3/22/2017 12:00 PM @ Target Center
      Andover vs. #2 Maple Grove 3/22/2017 2:00 PM @ Target Center
      Cretin-Derham Hall vs. #3 Apple Valley 3/22/2017 4:00 PM @ Target Center
      Semifinals
      Champlin Park vs. TBD 3/23/2017 6:00 PM @ Target Center
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 8:00 PM @ Target Center
      Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 8:00 PM @ Target Center
      3rd Place
      TBD vs. TBD 3/25/2017 4:00 PM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Semifinals
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 10:00 AM @ Concordia
      TBD vs. TBD 3/23/2017 12:00 PM @ Concordia
      Consolation - Final
      TBD vs. TBD 3/24/2017 6:00 PM @ Concordia
      Last edited by BTownJack; 03-22-2017, 01:58 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        All tourneys, girls and boys, need to be in SF on 1 or 2 weekends - preferably 1 if the logistics work out. Use Augie, USF and old Arena to make it work...
        Agreed. Throw the Pentagon in there too. It's not a matter of if, but when this will happen...
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          All tourneys, girls and boys, need to be in SF on 1 or 2 weekends - preferably 1 if the logistics work out. Use Augie, USF and old Arena to make it work.

If there aren't enough gyms or times then if you lose your first round game - you are done. No consolation bracket but continue with the 3rd and 4th place game for the two semifinal losers if you want. Having 3 state title games back to back to back on the same night would be something I'd attend. Likely would have to spread it out over 4 days maybe depending on how many gyms you want to utilize.

MN pulls it off by using 3 gyms and all 4 classes of boys hoops play an 8-team tourney. And they still do consolation bracket (award 1st thru 8th place). Target Center, U of M Williams Arena, Concordia St. Paul are their venues and it is played over 4 days (Wed-Sat). All 4 title games are contested on the Saturday (11AM, 1PM, 5PM, 8PM).

Sign me up for that action!

Here is there schedule:
          In a state with about a dozen football classes, I don't see moving away from consolation rounds of the state basketball tournaments.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            In a state with about a dozen football classes, I don't see moving away from consolation rounds of the state basketball tournaments.
            I completely agree with you there.

Comment

Jeff T from ESPN radio which I rarely listen too but it was on in the truck for some reason, but one of the few times I agreed with him was on moving the tourneys to SF and get rid of the 5,6 and 7,8 games.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If its not broke, dont fix it. The B's will fight to keep it in Aberdeen and i think they should. The A's and AA's can be in SF

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                  If its not broke, dont fix it. The B's will fight to keep it in Aberdeen and i think they should. The A's and AA's can be in SF
                  That's probably what ORU said about keeping the summit tourney in Oklahoma too
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

What are the reasons for not hosting everything in SF at the Denny? Is it strictly economic reasons, ie, pulling guaranteed revenue from communities other than SF?

Comment

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of multiple state tournaments at multiple locations. Hopefully my comments here can provide some insight.

I am not sure there are many, if any, states in the country whose hs basketball teams play fewer regular season games than SD. That is just 1 reason I am against eliminating the 5th, and 7th place games. If our athletes already play the fewest, what is wrong with allowing them a couple more opportunities to play? The tournament is a big deal for many in Class "B" because many don't make it there all that often. In 2008 it was Viborg's first appearance and my alma mater still has never been to a State B Boys tournament. What experience is it if you get there after a 10, 15, 25 or more year drought and then go home after 1 game? I think the pressure on the 2009 Viborg team would have been tremendous if they hadn't had the opportunity to win the consolation bracket in 2008. I find it hard to believe whatever communities host want to see teams and fans leave right away. (I believe Minnesota just put the full consolation rounds back in after not having them for a few years.)
                      Why do so many teams/people in Class B like Aberdeen? #1- it's the only game in town and the Aberdeen American News does an amazing job with LARGE feature stories on ALL 8 teams and then have full write-ups on every game with an additional "tidbits" column each day. #2 They do a tremendous job in making arrangements for the teams to have shoot-arounds (all in 1 location that has multiple gyms), provide free laundry service for the teams as well, and other things like it that make the experience that much more hassle free.
                      #3 The wife and I enjoy going to SF to do things, but there are many in the small towns who don't. Many people in our community prefer going to Yankton over SF.
                      IF all the tournaments were on 1 weekend- which one do you suppose is going to get the short end of media coverage? The Argus Leader barely has enough staff to cover the State Universities and local colleges, Skyforce, Stampede and Storm- do you really think they can cover 3 tournaments? Did you see how many hs games received write-ups in the Argus throughout this past season? The games outside of SF might total anywhere from about 4 to maybe 10 with almost all of them involving teams within 20 miles of SF or the Dak-12 Conference.

Comment

Working...
                      X