Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD's roster has four SD players, so are they "... not recruiting...." in-state players either? Not that many Miller's or Duffy's ready to star on a national stage.

MN's population and high school model makes it the gorilla in the region. IMO, the 46% difference in game-time-minutes/season allows greater skill building, endurance, and evaluation. SD has 8-min quarters and 20-games/season = 640 minutes - Minnesota has 18-min halves and 26-games/season = 936-minutes.

Check out Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers," wherein he addresses kids' athletic successes which stem directly from more playing time, more coaching, and more meaningful practices, aka the "cumulative advantages."

Good to have SD Attack, the Pentagon, Sacred Hoops, SD Network, North Star/Ambush, Rapid City Skillz and other summer programs help build stronger/faster/better GBB players. Gotta go harder or your record wilts.

Recruiting to the SDSU culture, AJ fits his offers to realize our shared Top 15 aspirations. The best fit may not include the offer-blaster on Twitter, nor the lawnmower parent; here the team-first attitude fits well and wins games.
    Last edited by GrandpaLee; 07-31-2020, 06:13 AM. Reason: Added relevance/explanation of "Outliers:

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaLee View Post
      USD's roster has four SD players, so are they "... not recruiting...." in-state players either? Not that many Miller's or Duffy's ready to star on a national stage.

MN's population and high school model makes it the gorilla in the region. IMO, the 46% difference in game-time-minutes/season allows greater skill building, endurance, and evaluation. SD has 8-min quarters and 20-games/season = 640 minutes - Minnesota has 18-min halves and 26-games/season = 936-minutes. Check out Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers."

Good to have SD Attack, the Pentagon, Sacred Hoops, SD Network, North Star/Ambush, Rapid City Skillz and other summer programs help build stronger/faster/better GBB players. Gotta go harder or your record wilts.

Recruiting to the SDSU culture, AJ fits his offers to realize our shared Top 15 aspirations. The best fit may not include the offer-blaster on Twitter, nor thelawn mower parent; team-first attitude fits well here and wins games.
      Several good points. Interesting points about the amount of playing time between the two states. I never thought of that way but it makes sense to me. AJ I think has used Minn-Wisc network fully and has found a bunch of team first players. I am not sure what meant by lawn mower parent but maybe it’s not important.

Comment

• It's incredibly odd that AJ is being criticized for his recruiting. I think we've been a powerhouse mid-major for over a decade now. Last March was his first loss in the SLT title game. I trust he knows what he's doing.

Comment

• I wear Blue & Yellow glasses not Blue & Gold.

Comment

• is
            Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            It's incredibly odd that AJ is being criticized for his recruiting. I think we've been a powerhouse mid-major for over a ja decade now. Last March was his first dloss in the SLT title game. I trust he knows what he's doing.
            He knows what he doing. He could move on but has not. Having too much fun.

Comment

• I think Minn has two big advantages over SD for recruiting great basketball players....1) population, Minn has far greater numbers to find great players, 2) they've gotten a huge head start in playing AAU summer basketball, highly organized, great coaches, just about a cult like following, coaches who only get better having played against the very best teams around the Country , like North Tartan EYBL for example, there are only 32 (?) teams in the entire Country invited to play Nike EYBL tournaments, NT and ALL Iowa Attack are two of them ...that's where the Paige Bueckers ans Caitlyn Clark elite players hone their skills.Of course, it means Minn is heavily recruited from P-5's , as Tera VanDerveer said best " Minn is for everyone " when asked about recruiting in Minn, as the Gophers can attest to, losing so many great in-State players to other P-5's around the Nation.To a little lessor extent , the same applies to Ia and Neb(having greater population, bigger Metropolitan Areas ). That said, we still get some great Div 1 players who have no problem playing against the best WBB programs in the Nation, just not as many, and haven't had as good of developing because we are behind other States in playing against the best recruits in the Nation as far as AAU Summer basketball goes.But we do OK I think with what we have for resources available.Natural talent will come out, no matter what the circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                It's incredibly odd that AJ is being criticized for his recruiting. I think we've been a powerhouse mid-major for over a decade now. Last March was his first loss in the SLT title game. I trust he knows what he's doing.
                I just think we were going against the best team USD ever put together during our "down" year also missing our best returning player and we gave USD all they could handle. Its a team game and AJ gets as much out of his players as anyone. I think we do just fine recruiting. We have had some really really good teams that are just missing that one impact player, but so is most of the country but we are coming from a mid major with good but not great support. There are haves and have nots in the world of college athletics and generally we are going against the haves. But i think we have held our own. I would not be surprised there are power 5 schools that envy SDSUs track record. Plitzuweit with all her great recruiting has only won the summit tournament 1 time. We have to remember its a team game, where SDSU excels at that.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  I wear Blue & Yellow glasses not Blue & Gold.
                  Me too

Comment

I wear Blue & Yellow glasses not Blue & Gold.
                    Me too

Comment

• It does not seem controversial to me to say AJ and his staff must continuously analyze their recruiting, practice, and game-time strategies and tactics as the overall environment changes. Coaches that don't change as the environment and the game changes around them do not have good long-term prospects in the career. Seems to me that self-scouting is as important as scouting opponents, and that includes self-scouting your own recruitment processes & procedures. And since those need to be ever-evolving, they're subject to perpetual criticism. The proof is in the winning.

"Previous performance is not indicative of future results" or however that old saying goes.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Emilee Fox, Guard from Mount Vernon Plankinton with an offer. Class of 2024.
                        https://twitter.com/sdattack/status/1288144891349016576

Comment

• Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          I think Minn has two big advantages over SD for recruiting great basketball players....1) population, Minn has far greater numbers to find great players, 2) they've gotten a huge head start in playing AAU summer basketball, highly organized, great coaches, just about a cult like following, coaches who only get better having played against the very best teams around the Country , like North Tartan EYBL for example, there are only 32 (?) teams in the entire Country invited to play Nike EYBL tournaments, NT and ALL Iowa Attack are two of them ...that's where the Paige Bueckers ans Caitlyn Clark elite players hone their skills.Of course, it means Minn is heavily recruited from P-5's , as Tera VanDerveer said best " Minn is for everyone " when asked about recruiting in Minn, as the Gophers can attest to, losing so many great in-State players to other P-5's around the Nation.To a little lessor extent , the same applies to Ia and Neb(having greater population, bigger Metropolitan Areas ). That said, we still get some great Div 1 players who have no problem playing against the best WBB programs in the Nation, just not as many, and haven't had as good of developing because we are behind other States in playing against the best recruits in the Nation as far as AAU Summer basketball goes.But we do OK I think with what we have for resources available.Natural talent will come out, no matter what the circumstances.
                          While the quality of basketball in Minnesota for Men and Women is top notch the game itself in my opinion is unwatchable for fans with no shot clock.

Comment

• oh ya, I forgot, they haven't put a shot clock into play yet in Minn, so some games are really hard to watch, as you've stated.One saving grace are the teams who like to push the ball and play up-tempo....that somewhat negates the need for the shot clock.But playing up-tempo isn't mandated, like a shot clock rule would be, hence no violation and losing possession of the ball, so, in conclusion, it doesn't help them entering college ball to be behind the times.

Comment

Emilee Fox, Guard from Mount Vernon Plankinton with an offer. Class of 2024.
                              https://twitter.com/sdattack/status/1288144891349016576
                              Would be great if she stayed in state and was a Jackrabbit. Very talented. I have no doubt she will have P5 offers, she’s that good.

Comment

• Agree wholeheartedly that; (1) Minn's summer ball programs lift the level of GBB play - Iowa is duplicating that progress now; (2) Adding the HS shot clock is crucial in Minn, Iowa, and the entire region.

Both combine in support of Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers" which was earlier cited without proper explanation: Wherein he addresses the data from kids' athletic successes which stem directly from more playing time, more coaching, and more meaningful practices, aka the "cumulative advantages."

Comment

Working...
                                X