Clear All

• Re: Future Rosters

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Pretty confident that

Miller
    Guebert
    Stevens
    Thompson

will be starting, as they were starters previously for Jacks.

Larson
    Casio
    Alexander

are likely to be in there for fifth starter, with Larson having the inside track as forward/center with her hops/height. Casio and Lexi are guards, so therefore, behind Miller and Guebert.

The two Syd's, Flauta, Boltsma, plus the incoming frosh will need to establish where they fit in the pecking order. Very interested to see who brings the defensive pressure in the middle, ala the "Ober" factor. Ellie/Ober were an effective team on d, and opened up plays on the inside on O, but definitely lost something without their partner there. Hopefully taller teammates will develop that chemistry and make each better than just a sum of the parts.

If there is one consistency to AJ's team, it has been the abilities to make each player a better team player, and go all out for the minutes that each is in the game. Few teams have been as consistent, from starter to 13th player, as the Jackrabbits. That ability to wear down the opponents starters has been a big part of the Jacks WBB mantra ever since I started refollowing Jacks WBB from late D-II days.

This^^
    Agree 100% That's why last yr with the lack of depth seemed to be such an anomaly.Hopefully we get it back on track this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      This^^ [/B][/I][/COLOR]Agree 100% That's why last yr with the lack of depth seemed to be such an anomaly.Hopefully we get it back on track this year.
      I would say that there has been a lack of depth the last 2 years.
      We had the starters Lexi, Chloe and Gabby two years ago and then there was a serious drop-off. That is why when you have Chloe and Gabby graduate and the Maci and Ober(for a while) get injured, you are down to 5 players or so. It would have been different if the redshirted players or a couple of freshmen could have played more but that just didn't work out last year.
      I really think that will change this season but I'm normally a glass half full guy.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        I would say that there has been a lack of depth the last 2 years.
        We had the starters Lexi, Chloe and Gabby two years ago and then there was a serious drop-off. That is why when you have Chloe and Gabby graduate and the Maci and Ober(for a while) get injured, you are down to 5 players or so. It would have been different if the redshirted players or a couple of freshmen could have played more but that just didn't work out last year.
        I really think that will change this season but I'm normally a glass half full guy.
        That's OK...I'm the optimist too,even when I know better than to be.I'll go out on a limb and say it's going to be a very productive season .

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          I have a feeling Selland is going to start at some point in the season too. Lots of new faces though so it will be fun to see how it plays out. Maybe we'll see a bit of TJ in AJ in that he'll switch the lineup until he find what he wants. From the Argus article I'm really glad to hear Stevens and Larson didn't coast through their redshirt years - that's huge that they developed like AJ said they did.
          I think AJ already subs pretty liberally,exploring different combinations of players,changing up the teams strengths and/or shoring up weaknesses, keeping the opponents defenses guessing a little,and developing players by giving them valuable game experience,which usually pays off in the near future for the basketball program.I still think you should exploit any player who gets hot and try and get as much out of that hot streak as you can while they're experiencing it.In which case,no change is warranted,for awhile anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            I can't help but wonder if Stevens will be able to help down low at the 5. Sure she will give up 2-3" in height but no one is going to be able to shove her around under the basket. We may not be very tall at the 5 but overall team height and length is there.
            Ober was a perfect 5,tall enough,strong enough,had good mass and weight,yet maintained a very good mobility,very good skill set for the position,could knock down three's ,so that had to be respected from opponents.Good and athletic.We still don't get the 6'4 and above with the same attributes,but most mid-majors don't,unless they are lucky enough to have a home grown player who spurns P-5 offers to stay close to home to be able to play for friends and family, relatives.Kerri Young was the best "floor runner" we had on the team.My favorite two clips were the Creighton game,where she caught the pass from Ober approx 10' from the half court line,made two dribbles while out racing two defenders,one of them just gave up trying to stay with her,for a layup.The other was against Notre Dame at Frost and her blowing by Madison Cable ,who also pulled up when she realized she wasn't going to cut Kerri off or slow her down,frantically shouting out a warning to her teammates,Kerri made the layup anyway catching all of them off guard.These are our main player losses from last year,Ena had some good moments too and made the best of her time she was given.

Flaata showed glimpses of improvement last year,Bultsma gaining confidence.Larson was a pretty highly touted player as prep,wasn't used much at Iowa,both her and Chynna worked hard their sitting year,so hoping they come out this year like gang busters and show they have a lot to contribute.That's 6'2", 6'2", and 6'3",Ellie at 6'1",these and the other strong players from the 4 position(like Larson and Ellie)who can also play the 5 give me an optimistic outlook for the position. Myah Selland at 6'2" and a host of players 5'11" to 6'0" give us excellent length as a team.Put that with the quickness and speed of the shorter players,I like the potential this team should have to have a very good season.We should be strong across the board,we have players with good skills at each position.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-15-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

IMO we need shooters. Look back at all of our good or great teams we were loaded with shooters. This past year we basically had 1. The game is played differently now (anybody watch Golden State play). Position number 5 doesn't mean what it used to. I like the roster we have coming up just hope some take a step forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                IMO we need shooters. Look back at all of our good or great teams we were loaded with shooters. This past year we basically had 1. The game is played differently now (anybody watch Golden State play). Position number 5 doesn't mean what it used to. I like the roster we have coming up just hope some take a step forward.
                The Jackrabbit women had more than one shooter, but they often had the lineup which made it one shooter. Thompson and Geubert were the steady contributors with Young and Ober jumping in their contributions. The somewhat accurate excuse of Miller being out made the opposition defense look much better as the shooting/playmaker is a tough act to follow for Alexander who was generally an efficient ballhandler but not scorer. 2016-17 was a down year, but it should not be considered a trend of not being in the hunt for the top spot or the NCAA qualifier.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  The Jackrabbit women had more than one shooter, but they often had the lineup which made it one shooter. Thompson and Geubert were the steady contributors with Young and Ober jumping in their contributions. The somewhat accurate excuse of Miller being out made the opposition defense look much better as the shooting/playmaker is a tough act to follow for Alexander who was generally an efficient ballhandler but not scorer. 2016-17 was a down year, but it should not be considered a trend of not being in the hunt for the top spot or the NCAA qualifier.
                  I guess you could argue that there were 2 shooters on the team. When your starting PF and back-up PF (starting C when Ober was out) are your 3rd and 4th best 3-points shooters at 30%, you are not a good shooting team. Not by SDSU standards anyway!
                  I think most people would take 30%+ by your C's and PF's but when they are your "shooters", your team should struggle.

Comment

It was so much fun watching the 08-09 team play,talk about loading a team with shooters.They hit 16 treys in a game twice that season,once in the regular season ,once in the NCAA tournament ,during which both the Jacks and Iowa St. tied the NCAA record for most 3's in a NCAA Tournament game,the Jacks shooting 50% from 3 in their contest.We had Jill Young (.461% -82 3 ptrs) and Kristin Rotert(.323%-60 3 ptrs),Ketty Cornemann(.323%-32),Macy Michelson(.286%-18),Jenn Warkenthien(.359%-28),Stacy Oistad(.376%-38)Ashlea Muckenhirn(.379-22)Allison Anderson(.348%-8)The team shot 291-811 for.359%.I remember Oregon at Frost ,kind of boring game at the start ,so I was kind of day dreaming,we started hitting shots and I looked at the scoreboard after having not looked at it in quite awhile and we were like 20 + pts ahead in seemingly no time. Later AJ even mentioned in an interview that he didn't think TCU knew how explosive his team that year could be.That was a shooting team,with good inside play too,and when it rained (3's),it poured sometimes,not all the time though.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-15-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      I guess you could argue that there were 2 shooters on the team. When your starting PF and back-up PF (starting C when Ober was out) are your 3rd and 4th best 3-points shooters at 30%, you are not a good shooting team. Not by SDSU standards anyway!
                      I think most people would take 30%+ by your C's and PF's but when they are your "shooters", your team should struggle.
                      I'd say two shooters for sure last season ,Guebert and Kerri at .389%.Anytime you get close to 40% shooting 3's, that's pretty good.Especially attempting a lot and with with the opposition noting who might be the ones who knock down 3's.So,if there were only two,then .389 is pretty good.Lots of pressure there if the load isn't distributed better for the team as a whole. Maddie and Jill Young are/were just super good shooters who could shoulder a lot of the load and we've had a lot of dangerous shooters who could get hot like Rotert for example.We have been fortunate in the past with shooters like Paluch ,Waytashek ,others too numerous, and maybe we've become a little accustomed to having teams who hit the 3 with a pretty good consistency.I think W. Ill WBB is trying to or already have loaded their team with 3 pt shooters.

Macy being back,Stevens has been a proven shooter,maybe natural progression in shooting from last years youngsters,along with the newcomers (Fr), Maddie being Maddie,I'm hoping with more depth we'll be a better 3 pt shooting team this season.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-15-2017, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Agree.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well, hard to disagree with needing sharp shooters. Everyone wants that. However, I don't think Ober's presence in the middle on the defensive end can be overlooked. Her length was a major issue for opponents with being a shot clocker and rebounder. My guess is we will really miss her presence and vocal leadership and enthusiasm.

I'm an elite basketball mind of course (insert sarcasm), I want both!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think we may enjoy reminiscing Kerri's passing skills and her ability to hit shots when we needed a lift and her ability to push the fast break.As well as Obers great defense.Both reminded me of past great players who also stepped up in their later years,like Waytashek,Young J,Paluch and many more. We've always moved on without the graduating seniors,missing those attributes they brought to the game,but enjoying and discovering new attributes from the players who come back on the team for the forth coming season,as well as first year freshmen,experiencing college basketball for their first time.We continue to recruit the players who can make it as painless as possible,as well as the under grads improving year to year,transfers making a difference,etc as well.That's part of enjoying new seasons,the "how good will we be next year" factor.

Yes.I'll miss the graduating seniors,but I'll enjoy the new team finding their own identity,and continuing to have a strong team,although it's strengths and weaknesses might be a little bit different with a slightly different make up of players.Should be fun.

Comment

got any info?

https://twitter.com/Coach_AJ/status/877883961036255234

Comment

Per her twitter account, Regan Nesheim just commited to SDSU today.

Comment

Working...
                                X