This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Rosters

Wonder who'll take over Kerri's nice little inbounds lob jump shot when she's at the peak of her jump.That was very effective at numerous times.Last summer they had a video clip of her trying a dunk on an undersized basket,after bouncing it off the backboard , it was meant to be humorous,but she was just practicing to develop the type of co-ordination she needed for this type of shot, me thinks. She did it very well. There were games where she was the offense for varying periods of time, she kept us going until others got going it seemed. Kerrie and Clarissa will be hard to replace, Ena got much better her senior yr also.That said,we have very talented freshmen and the vets should show improvement going forward through the rest of their carreers.Should be another good season,I think.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      A few interesting takes in the last several posts. On paper thinks look really good. Southeast hit the nail on the head when he talks about Ober and her defense and its impact this year. That will be missed big time. There is no doubt that there is a lot of talent being infused on to the team but that talent will be untested. There is no doubt that there are still a lot of strong parts coming back but there are questions. How good will Miller's knee be next year? Who is going to step up and fill the void left by Kerri Young? What about that post presence?

The Jacks should be the overwhelming favorite but we should stop short of crowning them just yet. Just look at what a knee injury did to the team this year!

Let's give AJ and staff the credit they deserve. They are slowly but surely upgrading personnel with each class coming in. They have done a fantastic job.

SUPERBUNNY
      I think some of the offseason speculation is interesting. The only way you have tested players is if they played on your team last year. We have a lot of parts that should be a step up from incoming freshmen.
      Miller- Preseason conference player of the year last year- before injury.
      Stevens- Started for SDSU 3 years ago- injured and sat out.
      Larson- There was a lot of hype about her game and she has college experience- sat out.
      Cascio- Played some at Nebraska as a true freshman.
      These four players have some experience playing for SDSU or other teams. Some haven't played for a while, had injuries or had other things that may have hindered them but how will they fit in at SDSU?

You do have the 3 incoming freshmen that will truly be untested at the college level. I have high hopes for them just like most people that are here do. Until we see something, we won't know for sure.

Last year team had the starting 5 and Lexi. That was about it. You lost the best player and the team lacked depth. I see a ton more depth this season. I think it should be a 3 team race Western Illinois, USD and SDSU but i don't know for sure.

I think AJ should be up there for the coach of the year every year in the Summit League but I don't really agree with the "upgrading personal with each class coming in". Look at the last 2 recruiting classes. You only have Bultsma and Tracy for the Sophomore class. I'm not saying that either of these players are busts because I have high hopes for them but we will see. The class before that you have Guebert (home run) and Palmer. I like the things that Palmer does. She doesn't shoot lights out, have much height or blinding quickness but she sticks her nose there and does the little things. I really like the class coming in but we will have to wait and see how they shake out, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
        I'm not quite sure what you are smoking, but our starters weren't good enough to win the Summit the last 3 years. You are sure giving a lot of credit to players who haven't even stepped on the court yet. My prediction is our bench isn't anywhere close enough to win more than a few games in he Summit this year, but I hope they are good enough to combine with our starters to win the Summit.

Right now you certainly have to give the nod to a WIU team that returns it's too 4 players from last year. Us and USD will also be in the hunt. IUPUI loses one of its big two, so I think they drop a step behind. ORU and Omaha will be in the next tier and everyone else sucks.
        I'm middle of the road on this one. I think SDSU's bench would be middle to just below middle of the pack in the Summit League. I would hope the could beat the teams that "suck". This might not be the exact starters for the bench but it should be close.
        Lexi- She started most of last season.
        Palmer- She started some when we were missing 2 starters last season.
        Casio- Played some as a true freshman at Nebraska.
        Selland- Some have said that she is the best player to come to SDSU since Miller.
        Bultsma or Flatta-
        This team would also have Theuninck, Tracy and Irwin on the bench. This team will lack in the post and it might be a little short on outside shooting but this isn't the worst team in the world.
        That team won't win the Summit League but it should be better than Flatta, Palmer, Bultsma, Tracy, Viso, Mieras and Graettinger.
        Last edited by 91jack; 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          A few interesting takes in the last several posts. On paper thinks look really good. Southeast hit the nail on the head when he talks about Ober and her defense and its impact this year. That will be missed big time. There is no doubt that there is a lot of talent being infused on to the team but that talent will be untested. There is no doubt that there are still a lot of strong parts coming back but there are questions. How good will Miller's knee be next year? Who is going to step up and fill the void left by Kerri Young? What about that post presence?

The Jacks should be the overwhelming favorite but we should stop short of crowning them just yet. Just look at what a knee injury did to the team this year!

Let's give AJ and staff the credit they deserve. They are slowly but surely upgrading personnel with each class coming in. They have done a fantastic job.

SUPERBUNNY
          They've traveled far and have sent coaches to nice tournaments for sure. Aj puts a lot of trust into his assistant coaches as some scouting trips are theirs alone to observe and recommend scholarships to him for certain players.Sometimes you go to observe a certain player and see another or two that impress just as much or more.The only drawback is if they impress you,they no doubt have impressed a lot of other Div 1 coaches as well.Building up the name of the program makes recruiting so much easier one would think,that's where AJ and crew shine the best,coaching good players to play even better for the Jacks."Good day to be a Jackrabbit" sounds good to lots of prospective prospects thanks to our great coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I'm middle of the road on this one. I think SDSU's bench would be middle to just below middle of the pack in the Summit League. I would hope the could beat the teams that "suck". This might not be the exact starters for the bench but it should be close.
            Lexi- She started most of last season.
            Palmer- She started some when we were missing 2 starters last season.
            Casio- Played some as a true freshman at Nebraska.
            Selland- Some have said that she is the best player to come to SDSU since Miller.
            Bultsma or Flatta-
            This team would also have Theuninck, Tracy and Irwin on the bench. This team will lack in the post and it might be a little short on outside shooting but this isn't the worst team in the world.
            That team won't win the Summit League but it should be better than Flatta, Palmer, Bultsma, Tracy, Viso, Mieras and Graettinger.
            Tracy really made big strides toward the end of last season. I'm hoping the speed of the game has slowed down a little for her and she's ready to assert herself a little more next year. She's a good player and seems to be pretty athletic, pretty highly touted in Minn Hoops circles as a HS player. I think we might be pleasantly surprised by her, as well as other players off last years bench, this coming season.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              Tracy really made big strides toward the end of last season. I'm hoping the speed of the game has slowed down a little for her and she's ready to assert herself a little more next year. She's a good player and seems to be pretty athletic, pretty highly touted in Minn Hoops circles as a HS player. I think we might be pleasantly surprised by her, as well as other players off last years bench, this coming season.
              I thought about putting Tracy in the starting 5 but I didn't know for sure (of course I don't know about Cascio either).
              WNIT (2-games)- Tracy was 5-12 FG's for 12 points. She also had 3-reb, 3-assists, 2-TO's, 1-block and 2-steals in 41 minutes.
              Summit League Tourney (3-games)- Tracy was 1-3 FG's for 3 total points. She also had 4-reb, 4-assists, 1-TO, 3-blocks and 1-steal in 45 minutes. These number all look solid except for the shooting numbers. Take her shooting numbers from the WNIT and the rest of her numbers from the Summit League Tourney and she would defiantly be starting for this team. I guess you could just take her WNIT numbers and that would be fine, too.

If you have Lexi not shooting from the outside and Tracy going 1-3 FG's, you might be in trouble. I know she was just a freshman and she did look more comfortable at the end of the season but I thought I'd bring her off the bench.
              I think Tracy looks like she could play a lot like Megan W. I have heard some people compare the two so we will see. I would be happy if that happened.

Comment

I think there is a good chance that Tagyn Larson will crack the starting lineup. Not seeing much mention of her.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  I think there is a good chance that Tagyn Larson will crack the starting lineup. Not seeing much mention of her.
                  I think most people assume that she will be at 4 or 5. Most of the discussion lately has revolved around the depth of the bench. Last years lack of high quality depth hurt the team.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Pretty confident that

Miller
                    Guebert
                    Stevens
                    Thompson

will be starting, as they were starters previously for Jacks.

Larson
                    Casio
                    Alexander

are likely to be in there for fifth starter, with Larson having the inside track as forward/center with her hops/height. Casio and Lexi are guards, so therefore, behind Miller and Guebert.

The two Syd's, Flauta, Boltsma, plus the incoming frosh will need to establish where they fit in the pecking order. Very interested to see who brings the defensive pressure in the middle, ala the "Ober" factor. Ellie/Ober were an effective team on d, and opened up plays on the inside on O, but definitely lost something without their partner there. Hopefully taller teammates will develop that chemistry and make each better than just a sum of the parts.

If there is one consistency to AJ's team, it has been the abilities to make each player a better team player, and go all out for the minutes that each is in the game. Few teams have been as consistent, from starter to 13th player, as the Jackrabbits. That ability to wear down the opponents starters has been a big part of the Jacks WBB mantra ever since I started refollowing Jacks WBB from late D-II days.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Pretty confident that

Miller
                      Guebert
                      Stevens
                      Thompson

will be starting, as they were starters previously for Jacks.

Larson
                      Casio
                      Alexander

are likely to be in there for fifth starter, with Larson having the inside track as forward/center with her hops/height. Casio and Lexi are guards, so therefore, behind Miller and Guebert.

The two Syd's, Flauta, Boltsma, plus the incoming frosh will need to establish where they fit in the pecking order. Very interested to see who brings the defensive pressure in the middle, ala the "Ober" factor. Ellie/Ober were an effective team on d, and opened up plays on the inside on O, but definitely lost something without their partner there. Hopefully taller teammates will develop that chemistry and make each better than just a sum of the parts.

If there is one consistency to AJ's team, it has been the abilities to make each player a better team player, and go all out for the minutes that each is in the game. Few teams have been as consistent, from starter to 13th player, as the Jackrabbits. That ability to wear down the opponents starters has been a big part of the Jacks WBB mantra ever since I started refollowing Jacks WBB from late D-II days.
                      When I listed the bench players earlier, I had rabidrabbit's starting four and Larson. That is why I didn't include her in my previous post. I haven't seen her play so take it for what it's worth.
                      The only problem with that is that Thompson, Stevens and Larson might all be PF's and C's (of course nobody is listed a C's anymore so I should go 4's and 5's).

Comment

I would be surprised to see all three of Thompson, Stevens and Larson in the starting line-up. To me, they are all 4/5 type players, and I expect them to make up a nice three player rotation for those two positions. Tracy and Selland (and maybe Irwin) seem to be ideal SF's, similar to what Waytashek provided. AJ has shown in the past that he will start freshmen if warranted, and I would expect to see Selland doing that at some point in the season.

Comment

Tracy played very good defense and she hustles well to the ball. She was a decent shooter 15' and in. The 3pt fg needs some work as she seemed to rush her shot and she missed wildly at times. She moves quickly from end to end and she handles the ball well. If she gets the 3pt shot going, Tracy will be a complete player and a star for the Jackrabbits.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Tracy played very good defense and she hustles well to the ball. She was a decent shooter 15' and in. The 3pt fg needs some work as she seemed to rush her shot and she missed wildly at times. She moves quickly from end to end and she handles the ball well. If she gets the 3pt shot going, Tracy will be a complete player and a star for the Jackrabbits.
                            I agree, especially about the "WILDLY" part. She seemed to be good for one or two epic air-balls per game. The fact that AJ kept putting her out there tells me that he liked what he saw in the other areas of her game. She also became fairly good at driving to the hoop by the end of the year.

I'd look for Thompson, Larson and Stevens to cover the post position with anything we get from Flaata and Bultsma being a bonus. None of this combo will match Ober defensively but it will certainly be enough to keep up with Summit teams.

Comment

I have a feeling Selland is going to start at some point in the season too. Lots of new faces though so it will be fun to see how it plays out. Maybe we'll see a bit of TJ in AJ in that he'll switch the lineup until he find what he wants. From the Argus article I'm really glad to hear Stevens and Larson didn't coast through their redshirt years - that's huge that they developed like AJ said they did.

Comment

As long as we're talking players and fans observations about their good qualities (and some not so good), and what we see for them contributing to our game this year, and into the future, I'd like to impart upon you my impression of Sydney Palmer. I just think she plays with a lot of composure, when things are getting out of hand with TO's etc, she just seems to make the situation better when she comes in because she makes good passes and doesn't compound the problem by trying to do too much or go too fast, she just gets the team settled down again and gets everyone thinking about their passes it seems to me. I could be totally wrong of course, but I wonder if anyone else thinks similarly or to the contrary.

More on Tracy, I really like her athleticism, especially on defense. Anytime a player can get as many blocks as she can without fouling, she has to be very athletic in my opinion. Also, she is beginning to be more determined to get to the hoop. My biggest wish is that when players get to the hoop, they can get the points a little better than they've showed us recently. Case in point, Colo in WNIT, we flat out missed about 4 layups in the first half that could have made a huge difference in that game, and in my opinion is probably is what cost us that game. Not only the final score , but during their run to catch up (maybe they wouldn't of being 8 more pts behind) but especially our big lead we had at one point, if you add the 8 pts there, we could have been way past 20 pts ahead, usually a big enough lead to hold onto a very long time, unless you go into a long streak of not being able to score like in the UWGB game we played last year, albeit they played a heck of a defense against us (well scouted GB).Please pardon the slow summer musings.Summertime doldrums setting in.
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X