Coaching carousel 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching carousel 2017

Lorenzo Romar out at U Dub (Washington). Six year absence from the NCAAs did him in.
    Classy guy. Otz spent some assistant time under him (two seasons?). Coach Romar was gracious after Nate Wolters and the Jacks beat them at Washington.

Re: Coaching carousel 2017

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Lorenzo Romar out at U Dub (Washington). Six year absence from the NCAAs did him in.
    Classy guy. Otz spent some assistant time under him (two seasons?). Coach Romar was gracious after Nate Wolters and the Jacks beat them at Washington.
    And it's gonna get interesting...

https://theringer.com/michael-porter...02f#.yic9lrfyp
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      No kidding. It's reported on ESPN this evening that Martin, moving from Cal to Missouri, signed a seven-year contract worth $21 million.

Comment

Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

How about UND's Brian Jones as a candidate at Drake? Former assistant at Iowa and if what Darren Revell tweeted was true, only making $100k.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
            How about UND's Brian Jones as a candidate at Drake? Former assistant at Iowa and if what Darren Revell tweeted was true, only making $100k.
            I could not believe the UND roster, he definitely did some recruiting. One of my favorites is great grand son of Bill Shanks, Huron College and Lake Preston fame and also former teammate of Jack#1 Fan came off the bench got himself a bucket. He is 7 footer. Several Mpls players on the roster too. He is deserving of Drake if he wants it.

Comment

When it comes to coaching changes its hard to understand who is all interested until you know the full contract. Some schools the base $ isn't high, but they add in a bunch of easily obtainable bonuses.

Brian Jones should/will be a candidate for some jobs if he wants to, especially if his salary is $100K.

I'm currious on Indiana, if they get Alfred then UCLA will go get a big name, if they don't get Alfred then I think it gets interesting. Crean was a small time guy and if you look at a Archie Miller (Dayton) or something like that its similar. I'd like them to go after Scott Drew (if the Baylor athletic scandal isn't enough Showtime is releasing a documentary on the 03 Dave Bliss murder/coverup) If that is the case then we could see more carousel.

Illinois- I'd love for Coach Nagy to get an interview, I think at the very least he deserves one, I thought he deserved one last time the job opened up. I don't know what direction they want to go, but they need someone who can get the best out of Chicago and the rest of Illinois.

Miami- Ohio- Craig Smith's name has popped up, apparently some tie in with USD's A.D. and the search firm. If that is the case his name could pop up a few other times this year. He has something building at USD, but if you 4-5X the salary, it doesn't matter what you have building.

Comment

Miami Ohio AD is former USD AD David Sayler.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Miami Ohio AD is former USD AD David Sayler.
                  I noticed on USD board 3 pages of posts about Craig Smith and the possibly of him leaving. Certainly room for speculation. The Sayler connection does not help USD.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I noticed on USD board 3 pages of posts about Craig Smith and the possibly of him leaving. Certainly room for speculation. The Sayler connection does not help USD.

K, but they were saying USD's associated A.D.'s dad runs the search firm Miami is using as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      K, but they were saying USD's associated A.D.'s dad runs the search firm Miami is using as well.
                      oh goody better them than us.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Which AD hired Smith was it Sayler or Herbster?

That's what 1 good year can do for a coach. First couple years at USD were more then underwhelming, but everyone knew he just needed a little time to really see if things will turn around. But one good recruit with a bunch of role players really helped. Don't want to start a big discussion on it, but if Mooney doesn't play at the level he does, the rest of the team is more then avg. suppose that's the same for SDSU. Last year felt we had a lot of weapons. this year it was Daum and hope someone else plays good for the game. Good for Smith, even if it doesn't lead to a new job, it might not hurt with leveraging future contracts at USD.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Which AD hired Smith was it Sayler or Herbster?

That's what 1 good year can do for a coach. First couple years at USD were more then underwhelming, but everyone knew he just needed a little time to really see if things will turn around. But one good recruit with a bunch of role players really helped. Don't want to start a big discussion on it, but if Mooney doesn't play at the level he does, the rest of the team is more then avg. suppose that's the same for SDSU. Last year felt we had a lot of weapons. this year it was Daum and hope someone else plays good for the game. Good for Smith, even if it doesn't lead to a new job, it might not hurt with leveraging future contracts at USD.
                          Herbster hired Smith pretty sure. Sayler been gone for 3 or more years. Mooney is the real deal.

Comment

Tweet from Scott Reister on March 17th
                            @scottreister Source tells me Drake has contacted South Dakota coach Craig Smith. Other candidates: interim HC Jeff Rutter & Creighton asst Darian DeVries

Another recent tweet.
                            @GarmanSports Drake interviewing finalists for men's coach job this week. Names I'm told: Craig Smith (South Dakota), Niko Medved (Furman), Jeff Rutter.

Comment

Drake, a bottom feeder in the Mo Valley, wouldn't seem to be much of a step up. But I had similar thoughts when Nagy was a candidate for the Wright State job.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X