Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching carousel 2017

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    We're skirting the smack boundary here . . .
    Which begs the question...is it smack if it's the truth? 😉
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      Which begs the question...is it smack if it's the truth? 
      I second this motion...

Comment

Smith gets a contract for $275,000 and it's literally front-page news in the March 24 Argus Leader. The new contract is also the lead story in the sports section. Otz has been getting $300,000 for a year, and I don't recall there being much news reporting about the groundbreaking nature of the salary. Huh.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Smith gets a contract for $275,000 and it's literally front-page news in the March 24 Argus Leader. The new contract is also the lead story in the sports section. Otz has been getting $300,000 for a year, and I don't recall there being much news reporting about the groundbreaking nature of the salary. Huh.
          Meh, let them be front page for their contracts, whiny letters to the editor, and a pole vaulter. We will just keep being front page for NCAA tourney appearances, wins, FCS playoff games, national rankings, NFL draft picks, AA wrestlers, SLT championships, and wins against nationally ranked baseball programs. Sorry that went long, should have just said things that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            Meh, let them be front page for their contracts, whiny letters to the editor, and a pole vaulter. We will just keep being front page for NCAA tourney appearances, wins, FCS playoff games, national rankings, NFL draft picks, AA wrestlers, SLT championships, and wins against nationally ranked baseball programs. Sorry that went long, should have just said things that matter.

Alternative Facts...
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I think Its interesting both Otz and Smith are the highest paid coaches at both schools. Seems like Stieg isn't paid enough and his staff. They have had a lot of success even though its not enough for some people here. He makes less the Neilson does at USD if I am not mistaken. AJ makes I think 40k more then USD women's coach I believe. Smith sure got a nice pay raise either way. I was hoping for a 3% raise myself this year, but got 2%, guess its better then no raise though.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I think Its interesting both Otz and Smith are the highest paid coaches at both schools. Seems like Stieg isn't paid enough and his staff. They have had a lot of success even though its not enough for some people here. He makes less the Neilson does at USD if I am not mistaken. AJ makes I think 40k more then USD women's coach I believe. Smith sure got a nice pay raise either way. I was hoping for a 3% raise myself this year, but got 2%, guess its better then no raise though.
                At mid major FCS schools the basketball coach often is paid more because the basketball program can bring in much more revenue and publicity than football through the Big Dance. It's is what it is, our football team isn't going to be getting money from the FBS playoff or the Big Ten network to make the football program as profitable as the basketball team until we sell out the DJD like NDSU sells out their dome. It's a different story if we were FBS, but we aren't.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  At mid major FCS schools the basketball coach often is paid more because the basketball program can bring in much more revenue and publicity than football through the Big Dance. It's is what it is, our football team isn't going to be getting money from the FBS playoff or the Big Ten network to make the football program as profitable as the basketball team until we sell out the DJD like NDSU sells out their dome. It's a different story if we were FBS, but we aren't.

Same with women's basketball. You can't pay a coach just because the get more wins then losses. Certainly winning is a big part of it as revenue ties directly into that success. That said, I think Stig and AJ are both compensated fairly. If you or they aren't sure let them go looking for better money.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm sure Stig likes getting paid, but he's not here to make money. Stig stays at SDSU because he loves what he does where he is at. All coaches will say they love what they do, but I don't believe a coach cares as much about a program or is as attached as Stig is. I think he'll get a raise soon enough, but, ultimately, the money isn't important to him. He's a Jackrabbit.
                    Rollin' in my 5.0
                    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Butler has had ongoing dialogue with Milwaukee's LaVall Jordan, but no offer has been made yet, per multiple sources.

This is the guy who squeaked ahead of Coach Otz for the Milwaukee job if my memory serves correct.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                      X