Howdy from Zagville!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from Zagville!

Hi guys, stopped by to learn about your team and say hi!

Feel free to come by http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...n-s-Basketball our board and say hello as well.

Good luck on Thursday! (Just not too much luck )

Re: Howdy from Zagville!

Welcome to Jackrabbit Nation, adoptedzag! If you read around our board you'll see most of us believe we are playing better than our seed and record care to say. We're being realistic, but don't overlook us; the Jacks plan to put up a fight (and maybe make history)!
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Welcome to the board. Those of us who are realists, wanted nothing to do with your Gonzaga team this year. Congrats on a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by adoptedzag View Post
        Hi guys, stopped by to learn about your team and say hi!

Feel free to come by http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...n-s-Basketball our board and say hello as well.

Good luck on Thursday! (Just not too much luck )
        Tough draw for anyone. Zags are talented, experienced, they have size and depth. Their Tournament history hasn't been the best but they aren't any sort of target for the first ever 16 vs 1 upset. Looking forward to a Thursday afternoon off while watching the Jackrabbits in the Big Dance. 20 years ago I would not have believed it to be true.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

At least our coaches/players don't have to spend a bunch of time wading through tape after tape on how to beat Gonzaga?...there's only one tape!

Study it well guys!
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
            At least our coaches/players don't have to spend a bunch of time wading through tape after tape on how to beat Gonzaga?...there's only one tape!

Study it well guys!
            There are plenty of how not to beat the zags though.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My wife has two degrees from Gonzaga and she's turned me into a big Zags fan. Our plan was to drive to SLC on Saturday to see the second round game, but this changes things. We are both online now looking for hotel rooms, etc. for both rounds. I have already told her that if it's close in the second half, then all bets are off. I bleed Jackrabbit blue.

Another bonus for Thursday is it will also feature the Northwestern-Vanderbilt game. This is Northwestern's first trip to the Dance, so expect lots of crazy Wildcat fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Their Tournament history hasn't been the best but they aren't any sort of target for the first ever 16 vs 1 upset.
                This observation has been the subject of much debate over at GUboards. People constantly come to the same conclusion that GU has underperformed in the tournament. The truth of the matter is that over the course of our 18 consecutive appearances in the tournament we have, on average, performed EXACTLY as our seeding would expect. We have twice lost to a lower seed and twice finished higher than our seeding by knocking off the higher seeded team. The rest of the time we have finished exactly where our seeding would expect. Most people remember 2013 when we got bounced in the second round by Wichita State. That hurt and still stings today. No excuses but context should be considered ... GU had a significant lead going into half when Gary Bell (our two guard and best defender) left the game with a broken hand. Wichita came out in the second half and got SCORCHING HOT from outside. They chased us down with a barrage of threes that we couldn't stop without Bell and the rest is history. Oh, and BTW, Wichita went on to play in the Final Four.

Zags DESPERATELY want that FF appearance and feel like this is perhaps our best shot (since 2013). I don't expect them to be looking past SDSU and are focused on that game only.

Congratulations on your your season and looking forward to seeing the Jackrabbits play.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagDad View Post
                  This observation has been the subject of much debate over at GUboards. People constantly come to the same conclusion that GU has underperformed in the tournament. The truth of the matter is that over the course of our 18 consecutive appearances in the tournament we have, on average, performed EXACTLY as our seeding would expect. We have twice lost to a lower seed and twice finished higher than our seeding by knocking off the higher seeded team. The rest of the time we have finished exactly where our seeding would expect. Most people remember 2013 when we got bounced in the second round by Wichita State. That hurt and still stings today. No excuses but context should be considered ... GU had a significant lead going into half when Gary Bell (our two guard and best defender) left the game with a broken hand. Wichita came out in the second half and got SCORCHING HOT from outside. They chased us down with a barrage of threes that we couldn't stop without Bell and the rest is history. Oh, and BTW, Wichita went on to play in the Final Four.

Zags DESPERATELY want that FF appearance and feel like this is perhaps our best shot (since 2013). I don't expect them to be looking past SDSU and are focused on that game only.

Congratulations on your your season and looking forward to seeing the Jackrabbits play.
                  I agree with everything you posted. Wasn't meaning to imply anything more then the fact that I think the Zags will be a tough out for any team much less a first round lost.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We were in SLC for the Wichita State game. The Zags were unfortunately on the receiving end of the Shocker's coming out party for their Final Four run and historic 2013-14 season.

One of the Bracketology predictions a few weeks ago had Wichita playing in the 8/9 game in Salt Lake with a possibility of setting up a second round rematch. My wife about fainted when I showed her.

Comment

Here is your tourney history. http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2016...adness-history

In 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, and 2013 you were eliminated by seeds lower than yours. By my count this is your 20th appearance in the dance. Damn impressive. I'm guessing since 1995 there aren't many major conference teams that could say they've been to the tourney 20 times and even fewer can say they've only failed to win a game 3 of 19 years thus far.

I remember back in the late 90's and early 2000's when Gonzaga became a thing.

The Jacks have a steep mountain to climb but we are playing with house money. I also don't think we are a typical 16 seed. If you look at our season we struggled mightily. We had a new coach and a ton of new players. They have finally meshed and have been playing outstanding ball the last month and a half. Although a 4 seed in the Summit tourney you could argue we were the favorite.

I'm hoping the dogs are looking towards the second round and we can sneak up on'em. Major long-shot but I'm not going to say we have no shot.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I agree with everything you posted. Wasn't meaning to imply anything more then the fact that I think the Zags will be a tough out for any team much less a first round lost.
                        Thanks Jackmd. Wish I knew more about your team. From what I've read your big guy, Daum, is a force and will be hard to contain. West Coast Conference has some good bigs this year, including our Przemek (pronounced Shemek) Karnowski. Three of the ten Kareem Abdul Jabbar award finalists came from our conference: Erik Mika (BYU), Jock Landale (Saint Mary's) and Shem. For the most part we've done well against them, with the exception of Mika in our only loss.

What can you tell us about a he Jackrabbits?

Comment

I will be interested to see how the Zags guard Daum. If Mike plays from the outside in like he has been, I don't think there is any way Karnowski can come out to the perimeter and guard him. Fort Wayne tried to do this twice with Calhoun and Daum scored over 90 points. They can put the 6'9 Williams on him, but then Karnowski has to guard Telly - same problem. Either way, the big post is going to get pulled away from the basket which should help Howell to be able to post up a guard, which he has gotten pretty good at. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jacks go back to playing some zone when on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I will be interested to see how the Zags guard Daum. If Mike plays from the outside in like he has been, I don't think there is any way Karnowski can come out to the perimeter and guard him. Fort Wayne tried to do this twice with Calhoun and Daum scored over 90 points. They can put the 6'9 Williams on him, but then Karnowski has to guard Telly - same problem. Either way, the big post is going to get pulled away from the basket which should help Howell to be able to post up a guard, which he has gotten pretty good at. And I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jacks go back to playing some zone when on defense.
                            Ahem...

You're talking about "The Gazelle"
                            http://giphy.com/gifs/fultz-transiti...KnGFEtYj9Vyfvy

Comment

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                              Ahem...

You're talking about "The Gazelle"
                              http://giphy.com/gifs/fultz-transiti...KnGFEtYj9Vyfvy
                              Lol. We are going to have our hands full with him. He's a beast.

Comment

Working...
                              X