hs sports participation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hs sports participation...

just curious. never really put much thought into this question: have 7th and/or 8th graders always been allowed to participate at a varsity level in south dakota (as long as they meet the scholastic requirements)? i was recently asked this question, and, even though i played sports in sd, i couldn't really answer the question with any certainty.

i understand the "tightrope" coaches may walk with this, and, with the smaller schools sometimes it is out of necessity (especially bb and track).

Re: hs sports participation...

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
    just curious. never really put much thought into this question: have 7th and/or 8th graders always been allowed to participate at a varsity level in south dakota (as long as they meet the scholastic requirements)? i was recently asked this question, and, even though i played sports in sd, i couldn't really answer the question with any certainty.

i understand the "tightrope" coaches may walk with this, and, with the smaller schools sometimes it is out of necessity (especially bb and track).
    For the most part I believe so. If the athlete is good enough and stays eligible it is pretty common. Most of the time they are participating in wrestling and gymnastics where their smaller sizes don't necessarily work against them. Less common in sports like basketball and football. Mors in Yankton this year is more the exception than the rule. I remember playing football in the mid 90's against Mitchell and their running back (Matt Evers) was only an 8th grader.

Comment

You may find that individual school systems have different criteria for different sports. The rule that exists for the athletic association may be more liberal than the individual school. Football may have a local written rule that would hold 7th grader or 8th grader from playing. Parents may have some input as well. I have heard the conversations at the local level that referred to the "special" consideration to allow younger players on varsity programs.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post

Simple answer. Yes, although some schools may have rules against it.

Jill Young played as a 7th and 8th grader for Mitchell Christian. Bits mentioned wrestling. It's common in wrestling.

Comment

I remember when I was a kid and Shannon Schlagel was allowed to play varsity GBB as an 8th grader. Big controversy in the little town of Clark.

I don't think there was an official policy before but I think there is now. Since Shannon there have been lots of other athletes who have competed for Clark while in middle school. I'm guessing its a district by district decision.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            I remember when I was a kid and Shannon Schlagel was allowed to play varsity GBB as an 8th grader. Big controversy in the little town of Clark.

I don't think there was an official policy before but I think there is now. Since Shannon there have been lots of other athletes who have competed for Clark while in middle school. I'm guessing its a district by district decision.
            Shannon was well prepared when she came to SDSU. A very good athlete. I suppose its usually a Senior or Junior athlete that gets bumped in favor of a 7th or 8th grader and there is something about seniority that should hold presences over youngster and its a big deal in small towns, but nothing like a brave coach who plays the kid over the older athlete.

Comment

It is up to the school from what I know. Back in the mid-90s our high school started allowing middle schools kids compete for the HS team if there wasn't a program for middle school kids (track, golf, wrestling and other smaller sports).

Comment

http://www.sdhsaa.com/Portals/0/PDFs...ligibility.pdf

Page 4 & 5 talks about Grade levels that can compete at varsity level.

7th & 8th grade are allowed. 6th grade is not.

Comment

thank you, everyone, for adding your comments to the thread! greatly appreciated. got another question. i remember reading an article when AA added the clock. it mentioned whether it would trickle down to the other classes and mentioned that cost could be a problem for the smaller schools. it mentioned the equipment, training, and if i remember correctly the schools would have to pay the "operator" around $30/game? i am not sure about the "operator" costs, but, just wondered if anyone could add any info on the setup/operator costs?

edit: ok, did find this article about costs, i will post in case someone look like to glance at it...
                  http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...y-the-numbers/

Comment

Working...
                  X