GDT: vs USD in Round 2 of SLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: vs USD in Round 2 of SLT

Here's a tweet from Reed's brother (maybe? Or cousin? Idk) showing a video of the jacks on sportscenter tonight with SVP sporting the Go Jacks net hat.

https://twitter.com/ross_20/status/838979112815460352

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Here's a tweet from Reed's brother (maybe? Or cousin? Idk) showing a video of the jacks on sportscenter tonight with SVP sporting the Go Jacks net hat.

I like that he kept the hat. Only person I know that looks good in a net hat.
      Rollin' in my 5.0
      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

It will be interesting to watch the replay and see what some of the foul calls looked like on tape. It shouldn't matter, but I think that the way Smith reacts to officiating doesn't do him any favors when it comes to future calls. As well as some of the Coyote players, especially Birch-Manning. I love Otz's demeanor on the sidelines, and I think it carries over to the players. They don't seem to get flustered by much.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Ross is Reed's Brother, his wife is a teacher at West Central.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            It will be interesting to watch the replay and see what some of the foul calls looked like on tape. It shouldn't matter, but I think that the way Smith reacts to officiating doesn't do him any favors when it comes to future calls. As well as some of the Coyote players, especially Birch-Manning. I love Otz's demeanor on the sidelines, and I think it carries over to the players. They don't seem to get flustered by much.
            After that last shot Otz doesn't even take his hands out of his pockets. Kinda justifies your demeanor comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7vKDzgRdEY

revel for now...this was a great comeback!

im not tech savvy, if I was I'd take the above video and put the coyote face and rabbit face on there...funny stuff.

Good night to be a Jack!

Then again, every night is but this one is especially sweet. 

https://twitter.com/JonnyAsh11/statu...34055009857536

Comment

I'm quite sure Reed's brother is a Jackrabbit Pharamcy grad.
                Thanks for the link to that tweet with the video clip!

The refs started the game by not calling the barrage of chest bumps and grabbing and pushing -- by USD -- which often get called as fouls in other games. I thought the Jacks were slow to adjust to what was being allowed. We didn't fully adjust until the second half. When we did adjust, I thought the calls were predictable and the players on both teams had a sense for what was being called and what was not. In the end, as is almost always the case, the refs had nothing to do with the outcome.

Compare Michael Orris's MVP-worthy effort to any impact of the refs. Compare changes made by the Coyotes (not nearly as aggressive in second half, shooting dropping off etc.) to any impact of the refs. Compare Howell's key shots and Telly's key blocks to anything the refs did.

No one is talking much about the coaching. We've been watching Coach Otz mold this group into his first team and as the season unfolded, you could see the potential for what happened last night.
                Last edited by JackJD; 03-07-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  I'm quite sure Reed's brother is a Jackrabbit Pharamcy grad.
                  100% correct. He was a pretty good player himself. Carried our intramural team to a few victories on the nights he wasn't officiating.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

So this is funny: https://twitter.com/TitanicHoops/sta...90843293876224

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                      According to the USD thread, the SF Sports Authority, the Summit League, Tom Douple, Mike Daum, and Frank Spencer/Darryl Smith/Lamont Simpson (three longtime experienced officials) all colluded to take down the Coyotes tonight. And the Summit League Conference can now burn in hell. Seems about right.

Daum draws fouls for a reason. Defenders close hard and, yes, he does have a very natural way of leaning in to draw contact. The problem is that defenders hardly ever maintain verticality. He's also long enough and subtle enough with it that guys never do a good job of setting up for a charge or blowing backwards like Telly is so good at.

Also, if you want to whine about Daum only having one foul tonight, look straight at Flack. He settled for mid-range jumpers all night. He didn't challenge Daum hardly at all down low.

SDSU won this game in the second half because they were more aggressive offensively. Meanwhile, USD was just slightly worse on the other end. Telly had two HUGE, clean blocks on Mooney. Dickerson double dribbled. Everything was well-contested and SDSU did much, much better on the glass than the first half. USD didn't get second chance points and SDSU didn't turn it over for USD to get run outs. In the second half, Flack wasn't aggressive, Hagedorn wasn't aggressive, Dickerson wasn't aggressive, Simpson wasn't aggressive, Hurst wasn't aggressive (except for the missed dunk attempt). All settled for a lot of jump shots. Mooney was aggressive and got rewarded for it with impressive buckets and and-1 opportunities (like at the 13:30ish minute mark).

That's great if you have a couple calls you didn't agree with, everyone always will. But when you're starting to throw out the conspiracy theory card, it's time to step away from the computer. Truthfully, SDSU was lucky to walk away with a win and wouldn't have done so without Michael Orris playing the best 40 minutes of basketball of his life. But USD didn't make free throws to ice the game, didn't rebound nearly as well in the second half, settled for a lot of jumpers, made some costly turnovers, and SDSU made some pivotal plays defensively at the rim (Orris clean strip, Telly two blocks). Flack was terrific defensively against Daum and other guys stepped up.
                      Coach Smith said during the press conference that his guys just fouled too much. Sometimes players are too aggressive on defense. Also, it seems like the more aggressive team on offense, the one getting into the lane more, gets the benefit of the calls on that end.

Regarding the officials, and USD's claim of bias. Lamont Simpson was on that crew. He officiates in the Big Ten, the Horizon, the MAC, the Summit, and the WNBA. So... obviously, he is not accustomed to officiating before large partisan crowds. [/snark]
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I decided to go over to the Coyote fan board just to soak in all the lame excuses....the best one.....God hates the Coyotes.... LOLOLOLOL

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                          I decided to go over to the Coyote fan board just to soak in all the lame excuses....the best one.....God hates the Coyotes.... LOLOLOLOL
                          I actually agree with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            I can't stop posting about this game and had completely forgotten about this until now:

How bout the decision by TJ to let us play it out after that missed free throw? He had a timeout, didn't use it, and trusted his players to make a play. Nagy-esque
                            Yeah, I thought the exact same thing as it went down....he's going to let them do this thing on their own...

Also lost in the bedlam, how about Reed's two HUGE blocks late?
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              I guess I no longer hate that song! Awesome!

Whatever happens tonight, that was one for the books. It was a microcosm of the SDSU season, which I'm now way more than happy with. We've sure had some good times at the SLT....

Comment

Some soft moderation here: probably should avoid dragging over to this board junk from the Coyote board. (SDSUSmitty and Jack power: I'm still laughing about your posts! New T-shirt idea?). This thread may still have its place in the basketball section but it may be degenerating into smack.

In fairness to the rank and file Coyote fans: had roles been reversed, Jacks fans would be as emotionally crushed. We'd hate to see a warrior like Flack have an ending like that one. I, too, took a look at the Coyote message board (something to do with the fascination of staring at a car wreck) and noticed that there were about four or five posters who are in a blind rage about the refs. I saw thousands of USD fans at the game and they were being great fans. Don't judge a fan base by the extreme edge of it. That's what those same extremists do about Jacks fans (judge by the ranting of those --like me --crazy enough to post here . ).

Coach Smith's post-game interview accurately sums it up from a guy who deserved the Coach of the Year recognition

Comment

Working...
                                X