GDT: vs USD in Round 2 of SLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: vs USD in Round 2 of SLT

Orris spent all season tricking teams into thinking he couldn't shoot so that they wouldn't guard him come SL tournament - well hot damn, that sand-bagging son of a gun showed them tonight! Bold strategy, Cotton!

Tonight he went from a 1 year, "flash in the pan" that nobody remembers, to going down in SDSU history. Impressive! [But if he didn't take another jump shot the rest of the season I'd be okay with that].

Great game.

Comment

All I have to go on are the ESPN game tracker and both fan boards. Lots of whining on USD's forum about the refs. Usually the case with USD, but the Jacks did have eight less fouls. I have nothing to go on but the stats and the tracker. Were the refs fair? Why the uneven calls, ganging up on Daum?

Comment

Originally posted by trackrabbit View Post
        Orris spent all season tricking teams into thinking he couldn't shoot so that they wouldn't guard him come SL tournament - well hot damn, that sand-bagging son of a gun showed them tonight! Bold strategy, Cotton!

Tonight he went from a 1 year, "flash in the pan" that nobody remembers, to going down in SDSU history. Impressive! [But if he didn't take another jump shot the rest of the season I'd be okay with that].

Great game.
        Honestly our season turned when Orris started running the point. Although over shadowed by Daum he's been really good the second half of the conference season.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
          All I have to go on are the ESPN game tracker and both fan boards. Lots of whining on USD's forum about the refs. Usually the case with USD, but the Jacks did have eight less fouls. I have nothing to go on but the stats and the tracker. Were the refs fair? Why the uneven calls, ganging up on Daum?
          USD settled for outside shots, and SDSU kept being aggressive to the hoop. SDSU outworked the **** out of USD on the boards. USD tried to make up their lack of positioning with loose ball fouls.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            USD settled for outside shots, and SDSU kept being aggressive to the hoop. SDSU outworked the **** out of USD on the boards. USD tried to make up their lack of positioning with loose ball fouls.
            This, and it seemed to me that the Yotes were trying to focus on being as physical as possible on Daum and Telly on D. Your going to get fouls eventually doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I can't stop posting about this game and had completely forgotten about this until now:

How bout the decision by TJ to let us play it out after that missed free throw? He had a timeout, didn't use it, and trusted his players to make a play. Nagy-esque
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                This, and it seemed to me that the Yotes were trying to focus on being as physical as possible on Daum and Telly on D. Your going to get fouls eventually doing that.

Just got home and unbeknownst to me, my dad recorded my reaction to the end of the game....

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                  Just got home and unbeknownst to me, my dad recorded my reaction to the end of the game....

LOL pretty sure I scared the hell out of my neighbors

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Be like Mike ! When Orris outscores Daum and you still win, it has to be a sign, right ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Be like Mike ! When Orris outscores Daum and you still win, it has to be a sign, right ?
                      The yotes held Daum down so his shots were rushed. First time for everything. Using that double and triple coverage open Howell up for some points.

Comment

Guess who leads off the SVP Sports Center...

Comment

I have something to say about some of the snarkiness on the Yotes' board, but don't want to have to register to express it. To the Yotes fans who occasionally lurk or post, this is for you.

I graduated fifty years ago. I came from the era when animals rained down on the court in both Brookings and Vermillion, when a USD home game had an outhouse painted yellow and blue dragged around. Even remember a Yote player who was clipped by a hurled pint in the old Barn as he went in for a layout.

However, once you got past the direct rivalry, I always cheered for the Coyotes when they were up against out of state competition. In grade school I was thrilled when USD with the Daniels brothers won the College Division tournament in '58. Coach Duane Clodfelter was a nice guy from the Woonsocket neighborhood. There's a great story posted when he died about his coaching at Forestburg, shooting pheasants out of the window and blaming the chemistry teacher when the superintendent ran into the classroom looking for the source of the explosion. Cloddy was a character but a gentleman.

When I moved to Milwaukee in 1967, I rooted for the Yotes when Marquette was stupid enough to go in there as a visiting team. Al McGuire said the Armory was a snake pit and he'd never go in there again, EVER. I cheered when your women's team won the NIT, and I hope you win the men's NIT. I would have cheered for you against UNO had you played for the championship.

I guess I'm just old, but I don't think I ever wished ill on USD when they weren't playing the Jacks-- hurled coyotes, dead bunnies, pep bands playing Old McDonald aside (actually both sides did that). I loved the whole nasty politically incorrect series. It was rough, but not as bad as KU vs. Missouri which dated all the way to the Civil War. When a South Dakota team played out of the state I cheered them because they were a South Dakota team. Guess times change and I've been left behind.

BTW-- Your web page shows you won tonight's game.
                          03.06.17 6 P.M.

NO. 4 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
                          SIOUX FALLS, S.D. TV: MIDCOSN, ESPN3
                          W 74-71
                          BOX SCORE
                          GAME RECAP
                          Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 03-06-2017, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Did you usd get some tough breaks on calls...yeah possibly. But you also missed free throws to nearly lock up the game.

ive hammered on Howell all year but I honestly give him credit for the win, if he didn't punish Peterson about 4 times in a row I think it would have been a different outcome. He was huge. Still scares me every time he has the ball

Comment

I know there are bad fans in every bunch, but I just have to mention the USD fan that was sitting behind me. A couple of SDSU fans in front of me stood up during play at a crucial point in the game and the guy behind me laid into them, even though it didn't effect his view at all. Then later in the game a set of USD fans 2 rows in front of me were standing during multiple possessions, he didn't say a word. He topped of the evening by yelling "miss it cross eyes" and chuckling when Reed was shooting free throws late. Stay Classy USD fan.

Comment

According to the USD thread, the SF Sports Authority, the Summit League, Tom Douple, Mike Daum, and Frank Spencer/Darryl Smith/Lamont Simpson (three longtime experienced officials) all colluded to take down the Coyotes tonight. And the Summit League Conference can now burn in hell. Seems about right.

Daum draws fouls for a reason. Defenders close hard and, yes, he does have a very natural way of leaning in to draw contact. The problem is that defenders hardly ever maintain verticality. He's also long enough and subtle enough with it that guys never do a good job of setting up for a charge or blowing backwards like Telly is so good at.

Also, if you want to whine about Daum only having one foul tonight, look straight at Flack. He settled for mid-range jumpers all night. He didn't challenge Daum hardly at all down low.

SDSU won this game in the second half because they were more aggressive offensively. Meanwhile, USD was just slightly worse on the other end. Telly had two HUGE, clean blocks on Mooney. Dickerson double dribbled. Everything was well-contested and SDSU did much, much better on the glass than the first half. USD didn't get second chance points and SDSU didn't turn it over for USD to get run outs. In the second half, Flack wasn't aggressive, Hagedorn wasn't aggressive, Dickerson wasn't aggressive, Simpson wasn't aggressive, Hurst wasn't aggressive (except for the missed dunk attempt). All settled for a lot of jump shots. Mooney was aggressive and got rewarded for it with impressive buckets and and-1 opportunities (like at the 13:30ish minute mark).

That's great if you have a couple calls you didn't agree with, everyone always will. But when you're starting to throw out the conspiracy theory card, it's time to step away from the computer. Truthfully, SDSU was lucky to walk away with a win and wouldn't have done so without Michael Orris playing the best 40 minutes of basketball of his life. But USD didn't make free throws to ice the game, didn't rebound nearly as well in the second half, settled for a lot of jumpers, made some costly turnovers, and SDSU made some pivotal plays defensively at the rim (Orris clean strip, Telly two blocks). Flack was terrific defensively against Daum and other guys stepped up.

Comment

Working...
                                X