Who's hot, Who's not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's hot, Who's not.

I don't think anybody is better then SDSU right now. USD is still the favorite based on merit. NDSU seems to have owned the Jackrabbits since the first half in Brookings.

That said, everyone has at least a week off before they play again. Who knows how it's going in practice this week. The post-season is very unpredictable and that's what makes it so much fun. Having a guy like Daum is huge. You know what you're going to get from him every night. Having two 5th years seniors that are committed to the program is huge. Last year the Jacks couldn't shoot it and that nearly cost them. Could see the same thing this year.

USD is very talented on offense and Mooney can stretch the D allowing their athletic bigs and penetrating guard to take advantage. They are well coached. They won't go down without a huge fight.

NDSU is similar with Miller and they have Werner, that SOB creates all kinds of problems.

UNO and IPFW just haven't been consistent enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them makes a run however.

I don't see Denver, WIU or IUPUI having what it takes to win the tourney. Doesn't mean they couldn't pull a first round upset. Happens every year.

If the kids want to cut down the nets let them do it. Just realize your program might take a little flack for being hokey.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ahhh the fake outrage!!

Cutting down the net has been done for conference championships, tournament championships and ncaa championships, and even final 4 berths, if I recall correctly. Simply a piece of memorabilia for the players to remember the time and effort put into the season, tournament, what-have-you.

But lord, USD did so it must be the stupidest thing ever! Damn fools!!

Now, having said that, if they go on to win the tournament, I'd think the conference championship net would lose some meaning, but if they don't then at least those players will have some piece of history.

40 years later...."Yeah, this net is from 2017 when we won the summit regular season....to bad our season was ended in the tournament that year by SDSU...." (I had to.)
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        ...NDSU is similar with Miller and they have Werner, that SOB creates all kinds of problems....
        LOL. I dislike Werner but I walk away from games against NDSU thinking about how he epitomizes the worn out cliché: when he plays, he's giving 110%. Every opponent would like having that guy on their squad and you have to respect the effort and, consequently, the effectiveness and results that kid brings to the Bison.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
          Ahhh the fake outrage!!

Cutting down the net has been done for conference championships, tournament championships and ncaa championships, and even final 4 berths, if I recall correctly. Simply a piece of memorabilia for the players to remember the time and effort put into the season, tournament, what-have-you.

But lord, USD did so it must be the stupidest thing ever! Damn fools!!

Now, having said that, if they go on to win the tournament, I'd think the conference championship net would lose some meaning, but if they don't then at least those players will have some piece of history.

40 years later...."Yeah, this net is from 2017 when we won the summit regular season....to bad our season was ended in the tournament that year by SDSU...." (I had to.)
          I guess it was just a question I had. Don't really have a problem outside of USD wasting resources (it's OK just raise student fees I kid, kind of.). I just hadn't recalled doing this at frost wither outright winners (women) or shared (men). To me it is a bit hokey, but not enough to point out USD tires to pontificate every victory large or small. I get it. everything is a big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as the nets go, there's no shame in cutting them down (and it sounds like USD did not make a big deal out of it). Nagy would not have done it but I would not be surprised if TJ did. I saw the WIU women cutting theirs down after they beat USD saturday too. Life is too short to be uptight all the time.

Yesterday Zimmer mentioned that TJ is still deciding whether or not to start Hess and that he hopes to play 4 or 5 off the bench. Let's hope that Theisen is having a good week of practice and can help give Daum a break. The NSIC tournament seems to be wrapping up tonight, which should free up Zimmer for more SDSU coverage as we approach the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              As far as the nets go, there's no shame in cutting them down (and it sounds like USD did not make a big deal out of it). Nagy would not have done it but I would not be surprised if TJ did. I saw the WIU women cutting theirs down after they beat USD saturday too. Life is too short to be uptight all the time.

Yesterday Zimmer mentioned that TJ is still deciding whether or not to start Hess and that he hopes to play 4 or 5 off the bench. Let's hope that Theisen is having a good week of practice and can help give Daum a break. The NSIC tournament seems to be wrapping up tonight, which should free up Zimmer for more SDSU coverage as we approach the weekend.
              I too hope Theisen can shake off some of his rust. Before he got hurt he was playing well. We could count on him for 6-8 pts/game. He also gives us a bruiser down low that can spell Daum from some of the wear and tear. I just worry that it's going to be tough to regain that since he spent 2-3 weeks doing little to no physical activity. Although Hess was out longer, he had been shooting for a couple weeks before he got into game action.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

I'd like to see them start Orris, Howell, Daum, Telly and either Flatten or Severyn. Bring Hess and/or King off the bench if anyone is shakey. I think it's going to tough to expect anything more from Theisen then to spell Daum for a few minutes each half. Soon as the opponent sees him on the floor they are going to go right at him. Here's hoping the boys are in the best shape of their life. Rebound, rebound, rebound get Daum the ball and make open looks on the perimeter at least 30% and I like our chances.

Other teams, will of course, try to get Daum to the bench as early as possible. That happens, the Jacks have major issues.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I think it's going to tough to expect anything more from Theisen then to spell Daum for a few minutes each half. Soon as the opponent sees him on the floor they are going to go right at him.
                  How dare you suggest that Theisen is a liability... I suppose since you put it in more politically correct terms no one will jump on you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    How dare you suggest that Theisen is a liability... I suppose since you put it in more politically correct terms no one will jump on you for it.

I think Theisen will be ready for the Tournament. He won't be playing at the level he was at before he went out for a month, but he will be a key contributor off the bench. He will be needed to give others a break, atleast, and will get back in his stride with the more time he's given.
                    Rollin' in my 5.0
                    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      During conference play (excluding last Saturday), Theisen was averaging almost 8 ppg and shooting 65% from the field and 57% from three. Not exactly my definition of a liability.

Comment

I don't think Ian was expected to play huge minutes. He started with Nagy because he doesn't really turn it over, he scores effectively etc. He might not be the most athletic guy on the team, but he can contribute none the less. He will never be a "great athlete", but he can take up space, and make other posts work hard. he plays physical. TJ wants to run and score a bunch. Ians style of play doesn't really fit that, but he can still be helpful. Guys like King or Flatten or Wallace or Severyn, need to be able to score and or play solid defense. They have been inconsistent on both ends of the floor. Those are the guys we need to step up more IMHO to help us win 3 games then Ian. With his Ankle injuries, he can only do so much, and the Denver game was probably the worst he has had that I can recall. I am not worried about him being able to help us win.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I don't think Ian was expected to play huge minutes. He started with Nagy because he doesn't really turn it over, he scores effectively etc. He might not be the most athletic guy on the team, but he can contribute none the less. He will never be a "great athlete", but he can take up space, and make other posts work hard. he plays physical. TJ wants to run and score a bunch. Ians style of play doesn't really fit that, but he can still be helpful. Guys like King or Flatten or Wallace or Severyn, need to be able to score and or play solid defense. They have been inconsistent on both ends of the floor. Those are the guys we need to step up more IMHO to help us win 3 games then Ian. With his Ankle injuries, he can only do so much, and the Denver game was probably the worst he has had that I can recall. I am not worried about him being able to help us win.
                          I completely agree. I'm just less confident we can win 3 games in 3 nights without at least some contribution from Ian. Whether that's a small amount of scoring or at least allowing Daum to get some rest.

As far as the Denver game, I'm willing to give the guy a pass on that game considering he'd been sidelined for nearly a month.

Is it Sunday yet?

Comment

I think we are going to be in about as good of shape as anyone else when it comes to depth and surviving three games in a row.

Starters: Orris, Howell, Telly, Severyn, and Daum
                            Bench: King, Flatten, Hess, Theissen
                            Deep Bench: Wallace, El Darwich, Brown, Dykman

We regularly see 9 guys play which is fairly deep. Then you have Wallace and El Darwich who have also seen extensive minutes at one time or another. For a 10th and 11th option they aren't bad. Dykman could get some time helping out in this situation.

Obviously, it would be great to get way up in a game and not have to play a few key players a ton of minutes but that isn't very likely. It is a grind. Just have a feeling these guys are ready to go.

The X factor? Let's call it the Denny factor! Jacks fans need to be crazy all weekend and make some serious noise! That would help! The team feeds off that stuff!

The other thing in the Jacks favor is the bracket. We have USD on our side but nobody else that really scares me. The other side is loaded with NDSU, Omaha, and IPFW.

Mentally I'm already in Minnehaha County! Can't wait!

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              I completely agree. I'm just less confident we can win 3 games in 3 nights without at least some contribution from Ian. Whether that's a small amount of scoring or at least allowing Daum to get some rest.

As far as the Denver game, I'm willing to give the guy a pass on that game considering he'd been sidelined for nearly a month.

Is it Sunday yet?
                              Yeah, he cant just go in and take 2 fouls in 2 minutes and hit the bench. He needs some stats such to help out.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                I think we are going to be in about as good of shape as anyone else when it comes to depth and surviving three games in a row.

Starters: Orris, Howell, Telly, Severyn, and Daum
                                Bench: King, Flatten, Hess, Theissen
                                Deep Bench: Wallace, El Darwich, Brown, Dykman

We regularly see 9 guys play which is fairly deep. Then you have Wallace and El Darwich who have also seen extensive minutes at one time or another. For a 10th and 11th option they aren't bad. Dykman could get some time helping out in this situation.

Obviously, it would be great to get way up in a game and not have to play a few key players a ton of minutes but that isn't very likely. It is a grind. Just have a feeling these guys are ready to go.

The X factor? Let's call it the Denny factor! Jacks fans need to be crazy all weekend and make some serious noise! That would help! The team feeds off that stuff!

The other thing in the Jacks favor is the bracket. We have USD on our side but nobody else that really scares me. The other side is loaded with NDSU, Omaha, and IPFW.

Mentally I'm already in Minnehaha County! Can't wait!

SUPERBUNNY
                                I thought it was Friday and work today.....till a co worker mentioned it was only Tuesday.......then I got crabby. Guess I am just ready for the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X