X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Recruits

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    It is a good chance she is retooled at the next level with a different roster. She is the tallest player on the team with the centers on the team 5'9"-5'11".
    Lennox (Vlastuin) plays St Thomas More at 5 PM today,girls SD 'A' basketball Tournament at the Premier Center, it should be televised on SDPB if anyone wants to see her play.

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
      Not really a concern for today, butttt are we going to be really hurting at the guard position moving forward? I know we'll have Theunick and RCJ next year. Just seems like all of the commits in the next couple classes are forward-types. Any true PG or SG's coming in?
      My assumption going in to next year is that RCJ and Theunick will probably be starter and back up at the point position. My biggest concern is the lack of a true shooting 2 guard type player. We have Lauren Rongisch who I think is slotted to fill that role on the roster, but who knows what she is at this point with injuries, etc. Syndney Stapelton is probably also a 2 guard type player, but she is really going need to improve on her 3 point percentage (18% on the year) before I would feel comfortable with her in that role. I suppose LT could be that player, but again she will need to up her game by next year for that. Starting both RCJ and Theunick would make us really small at the guard position and Lyndsey has been a weak link on the defense when she is forced to switch on the pick and role screen (which we like to do). I think AJ really wants a bigger 2 guard. Maddie was a tough nosed player that could pull it off, but not sure anyone else on this roster currently could do that.

I'm assuming that Thiesen is going to be a stretch 4 "big" in our lineup similar to Larson. She appears to be a bigger build than Larson, so it would be nice if she could step in right away and play more of a post on the defensive end and allow Larson to guard more of a 4 type player. That may be a big ask as a Freshman, but that would certainly help us if she could do that. Regan Nesheim seems to be in the similar mold, maybe a little less bulky than Kallie.

Tori Nelson seems to be more of 3-4 guard similar to Tylie Irwin. She seems like someone that can bring some scoring punch so I would love to see her make the rotation early in her career.

So my take on the roster:

PG: RCJ, Theunick
      2G: Stapelton, Rongisch
      2-3G: Irwin, Nelson
      3-4F: Selland
      4-5F: Larson, Thiesen (??), Ferrand, Nesheim (??)
      4-5P: Burckhard, Bultsma, Hirschman

Now in my position set up, some of the positions are pretty interchangeable (Selland could easily slot into a 2 guard or the 4-5F if needed). Also, we tend to play pretty positionless basketball so I don't really think this ultimately affects much of what we do. The difference b/w the 4-5F/4-5P is I wouldn't feel very good if the 4-5P players launched a shot from beyond 10 ft. from the rim. I put question marks by the bigger newcomers because I don't know if they can shoot outside effectively, but I am guessing that they can.

So by looking at this it really does appear that we are heavy in the "long" positions, but a little short on guard play. It will really depend on how well Stapelton/Rongisch develop to see if they can fill the outside sharpshooter role that Maddy has filled. My thought is that they can't, so I'm assuming we may slide Irwin into the 2 guard position. I had been down on her a lot during the year, but could see her confidence and game improve as the season went on. Hopefully she can get the 3 point shot dialed in to add to her penetration game. I'm concerned about the lack of 3 point shooters on this team, so we will likely have to be a team that spends a lot of time getting points in the paint.

So my projected starters for next year:

PG: RCJ
      G: Irwin
      G/F: Selland
      F: Larson
      F: Theunick

Comment

I think you are discounting Selland and Irwin as 3pt shooters. RCJ could knock down some and Theunick seems to be getting the stroke when open as well. If Larson gets out to the arc more, she has had some success in the past when she was not a fulltime 5. The biggest thing to take away is that Macy and Madi took nearly half of the team's 3 pt shots with great efficiency. 10 returning players have fewer shots taken than those 2 took. Madi took twice as many as Macy. Someone will likely step up some and/or pound the paint. We have a good nucleus to start.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The Iowa Girls Coaches Association has voted Regan Nesheim to the second team Class 5 team. The 6'1" forward lead the team with a 61% FG shooting.
          She is not a three point shooter as she attempted only one the entire season. Great rebounder.

Comment

I feel RJC will fill the starting point guard role just fine. She certainly can handle the ball well enough and if she just has a slight uptick in 3pt % then that would be good. I'll go on the record saying that I feel Irwin will have a breakout year next year. She's a complete player and has shown the ability at times to be able to shoot it. AJ has also been very vocal about her much improved defense. I feel the women are going to be just fine next year despite losing a phenomenal senior class. I just hope Myah can stay healthy over the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
              My assumption going in to next year is that RCJ and Theunick will probably be starter and back up at the point position. My biggest concern is the lack of a true shooting 2 guard type player. We have Lauren Rongisch who I think is slotted to fill that role on the roster, but who knows what she is at this point with injuries, etc. Syndney Stapelton is probably also a 2 guard type player, but she is really going need to improve on her 3 point percentage (18% on the year) before I would feel comfortable with her in that role. I suppose LT could be that player, but again she will need to up her game by next year for that. Starting both RCJ and Theunick would make us really small at the guard position and Lyndsey has been a weak link on the defense when she is forced to switch on the pick and role screen (which we like to do). I think AJ really wants a bigger 2 guard. Maddie was a tough nosed player that could pull it off, but not sure anyone else on this roster currently could do that.

I'm assuming that Thiesen is going to be a stretch 4 "big" in our lineup similar to Larson. She appears to be a bigger build than Larson, so it would be nice if she could step in right away and play more of a post on the defensive end and allow Larson to guard more of a 4 type player. That may be a big ask as a Freshman, but that would certainly help us if she could do that. Regan Nesheim seems to be in the similar mold, maybe a little less bulky than Kallie.

Tori Nelson seems to be more of 3-4 guard similar to Tylie Irwin. She seems like someone that can bring some scoring punch so I would love to see her make the rotation early in her career.

So my take on the roster:

PG: RCJ, Theunick
              2G: Stapelton, Rongisch
              2-3G: Irwin, Nelson
              3-4F: Selland
              4-5F: Larson, Thiesen (??), Ferrand, Nesheim (??)
              4-5P: Burckhard, Bultsma, Hirschman

Now in my position set up, some of the positions are pretty interchangeable (Selland could easily slot into a 2 guard or the 4-5F if needed). Also, we tend to play pretty positionless basketball so I don't really think this ultimately affects much of what we do. The difference b/w the 4-5F/4-5P is I wouldn't feel very good if the 4-5P players launched a shot from beyond 10 ft. from the rim. I put question marks by the bigger newcomers because I don't know if they can shoot outside effectively, but I am guessing that they can.

So by looking at this it really does appear that we are heavy in the "long" positions, but a little short on guard play. It will really depend on how well Stapelton/Rongisch develop to see if they can fill the outside sharpshooter role that Maddy has filled. My thought is that they can't, so I'm assuming we may slide Irwin into the 2 guard position. I had been down on her a lot during the year, but could see her confidence and game improve as the season went on. Hopefully she can get the 3 point shot dialed in to add to her penetration game. I'm concerned about the lack of 3 point shooters on this team, so we will likely have to be a team that spends a lot of time getting points in the paint.

So my projected starters for next year:

PG: RCJ
              G: Irwin
              G/F: Selland
              F: Larson
              F: Theunick
              I see no reason why Irwin can't play the 2 with Selland at the 3. Both are athletic enough to play those spots, and would create size mis-matches against many teams. Cascio-Jensen and Theuninck share the point. Add in Larson, and let Burckhard and Theisen battle it out for the other spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                I see no reason why Irwin can't play the 2 with Selland at the 3. Both are athletic enough to play those spots, and would create size mis-matches against many teams. Cascio-Jensen and Theuninck share the point. Add in Larson, and let Burckhard and Theisen battle it out for the other spot.
                Yeah, I had a brain fart there. The forward spot should have been Theisen and not Theunick.... I don't think she's going to grow the 5-6" needed by next year to play that spot!

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                  Not really a concern for today, butttt are we going to be really hurting at the guard position moving forward? I know we'll have Theunick and RCJ next year. Just seems like all of the commits in the next couple classes are forward-types. Any true PG or SG's coming in?
                  Maybe we are getting ready for the trade deadline.

We just signed 3 new players today
                  - Madysen Vlastuin- 6' 1" forward
                  - Emily Herzberg 6' GUARD
                  - Mesa Byom 6' 2" forward

I really hope that Emily can come in and make an immediate impact.

After this year SDSU will have 2 players 5' 7"(Rongisch and Theuninck), 1 player 5' 10" (Stapleton) and the rest of the roster (11- players) will be between 6'-6' 2".
                  Irwin can play guard but Selland looked a little slow last night. I hope that was just because of the competition. I don't know who I feel really comfortable with bringing the ball up the court from this group. I have not seen Herzberg or Rongisch play so there might be studs!!

Comment

Working...
                  X