Grading MVFC Team Recruiting Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grading MVFC Team Recruiting Classes

I know that recruiting is only one element to what transpires on the gridiron, but you have to recruit the horses to perform. How would you evaluate how the MVFC schools did with this year's class?

SDSU (A-): As coach Stig said, he believes he may have found five difference makers who will be able to perform this fall. That says a lot when you look at how many returning players we have. Offensive line depth was a big need, not only excellent numbers, but a few blue chippers in the mix. We missed out on some very good ones, some to FBS schools and some to our peers in the MVFC. Defensive line was a hit! Callender is arguably the best recruit in the conference as he's the only Parade All-American to sign with an FCS school. The other d-linemen are more projects, but you've got to love the size and potential. Our linebacker corps rivals any FCS class. Brown, Hodge, Wilson, and Urbanek all have high ceilings. Getting four of them allows for a potential bust or two. Solid group of DBs and skill players on offense. Getting Ethan Bullock adds another quality QB to our stable. We've had some good ones since we've jumped to FCS. Missed out on Jordan Paup to the Huskers late and there were a number of others who ended up going FBS. But on paper before they've played a down, it would be hard to find a better class.

USD (A-): I'd argue that no school upped their talent level more than the Coyotes. For a program that has dwelled in the cellar since joining the MVFC, they made an immediate impact with this class. Losing three studs in the last few days kept them from getting an A in my book. HERO Sports ranked WR Reggie Crawford from Saint Louis as the best recruit in the MVFC. (Southern Illinois late signing of Emare Hogan could be argued as better.) This 3-star stud turned down offers from Illinois, Ball State, Wyoming and New Mexico to play in the Dakota Dome. The Yotes also added one of the best offensive linemen in this year's conference class in Tyler Ciurej. There class was complete with talent and depth on both sides of the ball.

NDSU (A-): Until proven wrong, the Bizon will continue to get talent that has few peers. It was fun to win a few more battles against the Bison this year, but we'd be lying if we said we got all the ones we wanted. Safety - Michael Tutsie, DE - Tanner Sundt, LB - Jack Begley, OG - Nash Jensen, TE - Noah Gindorff, and DE Spencer Waege are all recruits we wanted - bad! Now we will have to face them. Like the Coyotes and Rabbits, the Bison got a good QB from the Sunshine State. Losing Isaiah Hill to the Jackrabbits didn't help. One observation, TE was a key position for many schools and the Bison nabbed three including Gindorff. It appears that Dallas Goedert really altered priorities for many MVFC teams. Not only quality TE's, but tall/big safeties too.

Southern Illinois, Indiana State, Illinois State, Northern Iowa and Youngstown State all had some blue chippers. I just haven't seen the depth of their classes to give an honest opinion. Honestly saw nothing from some of the others to give any breakdown from the rest. It will be interesting to see how the addition of UND to the MVFC changes the dynamics of recruiting for SDSU, NDSU and USD. Recruits may check out the Fighting Hawks if they don't have to travel to the west coast to play a lot of their games.

I'd love to hear what others thought, including fans from other teams.

Re: Grading MVFC Team Recruiting Classes

It doesn't appear USD has even one commitment for 2018. SDSU has locked up most of the FCS caliber talent in the state for 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      It doesn't appear USD has even one commitment for 2018. SDSU has locked up most of the FCS caliber talent in the state for 2018.
      Coyotes either have a different recruiting strategy or they've been snubbed at every corner with this class. We have 13 verbals, NDSU has been giddy with the numbers and quality for their class, and the Coyotes are still throwing up a goose egg with this class.

Having a different strategy than the peers you are chasing isn't a bad idea. On paper they had an excellent class that they signed in February. This may be the year to try and save slots open for the 3 star players that fall through the cracks with the FBS schools. Early signing period will have a little more chaos for the recruits in late December and until the early February date.

They continue to find cast off Gophers to improve their roster. On Saturday they got word they are getting a 3 star LB transfer from the Gophers.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. The answer won't reveal itself for at least two years.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
        Coyotes either have a different recruiting strategy or they've been snubbed at every corner with this class. We have 13 verbals, NDSU has been giddy with the numbers and quality for their class, and the Coyotes are still throwing up a goose egg with this class.

Having a different strategy than the peers you are chasing isn't a bad idea. On paper they had an excellent class that they signed in February. This may be the year to try and save slots open for the 3 star players that fall through the cracks with the FBS schools. Early signing period will have a little more chaos for the recruits in late December and until the early February date.

They continue to find cast off Gophers to improve their roster. On Saturday they got word they are getting a 3 star LB transfer from the Gophers.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out. The answer won't reveal itself for at least two years.
        No idea how the Gopher transfer linebacker will turn out, but he played in a total of two games in three years, and had zero tackles and zero assists.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

I found the radio silence on commits for the U equally odd. Since then, however, the class has filled in nicely:

1. OT TREVOR SCHOHONEY - 6'4" 285 lbs - Franklin HS, Franklin, WI HUDL

2. OG KIAN REXROAT - 6'6" 310 lbs - Oconomowoc HS - Oconomowoc, WI HUDL

3. TE NATHAN STOFFEL - 6'5" 225 lbs - Marathon HS - Marathon, WI HUDL

4. RB CANAAN COX - 5 '8" 170 lbs - Statesville Christian, Statesville, NC HUDL

5. OLB HUNTER HEADLEE - 6'1" 200 lbs - Harrisburg HS - Harrisburg, SD HUDL

6. OT BRYCE KENNEDY 6'7" 295 lbs - Virginia HS - Virginia, MN HUDL247

7. OLB JAVONE HUNE 6'2" 230 lbs - Timberland HS - Wentzville, MO HUDL

8. DE ETHAN BURSON 6'4" 250 lbs - Willard HS - Willard, MO HUDL247

9. QB TYLER FOOTE 6'2" 220 lbs - John Burroughs HS - St. Louis, MO HUDLRivals

10. MLB BROCK MOGENSON 6'2" 215 lbs - Farmington HS - Farmington, MN HUDL

Comment

SOOOO!!!!!!! Your point is????

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
              I found the radio silence on commits for the U equally odd. Since then, however, the class has filled in nicely:

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how things were going. Seems like Bob and crew are doing pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post

"South Dakota's Team"
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I got bored a week or so ago and counted how many USD and SDSU had on their roster. Usd had something like 13 and I quit counting at 30 for SDSU.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    I got bored a week or so ago and counted how many USD and SDSU had on their roster. Usd had something like 13 and I quit counting at 30 for SDSU.
                    https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...6;src=postname
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                    X