Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    But I also have confidence in Justin that he will find another good coach that can keep the culture of success going and continue to push the team to greater heights.

My $.02, anyway.
    This should probably go into another thread but I have heard several times that people have faith in Justin for good hires at SDSU. I don't remember when he came and who all he hired. If somebody wants to move this post or start a new thread they can do that.
    I know that he hired Bono and that is a home run but it seems like most of the other really good coaches (AJ, Stig, Lang, Nagy, Ericsson- 2nd in the conference but losing to Denver is almost a given, DeHaven- CC) were hear before Justin arrived at SDSU.
    I think that Van Damme looks like he will be a really good coach and I still have faith in TJ. Baseball seems to have a good year and then a bad year. They are probably right around .500 in the conference over the last 10 years or so. I don't know about tennis, volleyball, softball and equestrian. Those all have new coaches but are any of them near winning conference championships?
    Can someone help me with the hires that Justin has made and how they are doing? Did he hire Lang?
    I think Justin seems like a good guy and I like him but I just can't remember who were his good/bad hires at SDSU.

Comment

I certainly hope that we are able to retain Coach Bono. What he has done has not only turned around his sport but inspired many within the AD. Personally, I've gotten to know him fairly well. You can't be around and not be motivated to do better. That's just who he is. He lives it every day.

If he were offered the job at ISU it would be surprising if he didn't take it. He's an alum and what he has done here has been noticed by everyone in college wrestling. The fact that SDSU has been added to the Big 12 has probably been a big part in keeping him to this point. Wrestling is a sport that is really struggling and many programs have dropped. Like some have mentioned above. SDSU could have gone either way when they brought Bono in. We're all glad they didn't cancel the sport at SDSU. SDSU is a real shining star in the NCAA Wrestling ranks right now. What is going on here is remarkable and frankly it would be hard to see why his alma mater wouldn't jump at the chance to bring him back.

Bono has a good thing here in Brooking without the pressure that being the coach of such a venerable program. He is the pied piper of wrestling around here. The pay difference can probably be figured out and not knowing how Iowa taxes individuals it may not be much of a difference anyway. It will come down to what he and his family want for the future.

As many have said, being a mid-major, this is reality. It isn't a bad thing in any way. It means that we are having real success at SDSU. There aren't a lot of D1 head coach opportunities out there and even fewer in a major conference. If Bono leaves we will have an incredible pool of talent to choose from. And we may very well already have that guy on staff in Reader.

Jacks fans should consider this exciting not scary. If we keep Coach Bono here we should be ecstatic. The biggest thing we can do as fans is buy tickets and go watch them wrestle. Bono wants to build the program here and grow fan interest so that this is one of the special places in wresting. He's off to a great start. A lot of it is now up to us. We can start by showing up tonight to watch the Jacks take on one of the "Top 5" programs JimmieTuba mentions in the post above. If you haven't gone to one of the matches this year you are truly missing out. And that comes from a football and basketball guy. The matches are a blast. Wrestling fans are into it more than any other.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        This should probably go into another thread but I have heard several times that people have faith in Justin for good hires at SDSU. I don't remember when he came and who all he hired. If somebody wants to move this post or start a new thread they can do that.
        I know that he hired Bono and that is a home run but it seems like most of the other really good coaches (AJ, Stig, Lang, Nagy, Ericsson- 2nd in the conference but losing to Denver is almost a given, DeHaven- CC) were hear before Justin arrived at SDSU.
        I think that Van Damme looks like he will be a really good coach and I still have faith in TJ. Baseball seems to have a good year and then a bad year. They are probably right around .500 in the conference over the last 10 years or so. I don't know about tennis, volleyball, softball and equestrian. Those all have new coaches but are any of them near winning conference championships?
        Can someone help me with the hires that Justin has made and how they are doing? Did he hire Lang?
        I think Justin seems like a good guy and I like him but I just can't remember who were his good/bad hires at SDSU.
        Lang was an Oien hire, the Liberty press release says he was SDSU for 17 years.

Comment

Justin has now hired most of our current head coaches. The following were hired before he arrived:

WBB: AJ
          FB: Stig
          Swimming & Diving: Brad Erickson (retiring at the end of this year)
          Track/CC: Rod DeHaven

Correct me if I'm wrong but only tennis, volleyball and baseball are on their 2nd head coach since Justin arrived. He hired Phil McDaniel for VB which didn't work out so well. The previous tennis coach, Michael Engdahl, did a phenomenal job raising that program from out of the mud and then he left for a better opportunity in the tennis realm. Not really sure how well our current tennis coach is doing. Our prior head baseball coach, Dave Schrage, left for the job at Butler to be closer to his grand kids.

With that said, he's only had to fire 1 of his own hires. I'd say that is a pretty good track record.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            Justin has now hired most of our current head coaches. The following were hired before he arrived:

Correct me if I'm wrong but only tennis, volleyball and baseball are on their 2nd head coach since Justin arrived. He hired Phil McDaniel for VB which didn't work out so well. The previous tennis coach, Michael Engdahl, did a phenomenal job raising that program from out of the mud and then he left for a better opportunity in the tennis realm. Not really sure how well our current tennis coach is doing. Our prior head baseball coach, Dave Schrage, left for the job at Butler to be closer to his grand kids.

With that said, he's only had to fire 1 of his own hires. I'd say that is a pretty good track record.
            Thanks for the insight! That is a solid track record indeed. I'm more worried about hanging on to Sell than the coaches.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

I think you could add equestrian to that list but don't know for sure.

It looks like Justin has been busy. He's had to hire MBB, Baseball, S&D, Tennis, Soccer, Equestrian, Volleyball, Wrestling, Golf and Softball all in the last 3 years or so. That's probably twice as many coaches as he's had to hire in the first 5 years here. That is a lot of information to run through in a short period of time. Of course, now that we are DI, this might be more of the norm.

Comment

I think you could add equestrian to that list but don't know for sure.

It looks like Justin has been busy. He's had to hire MBB, Baseball, S&D, Tennis, Soccer, Equestrian, Volleyball, Wrestling, Golf and Softball all in the last 3 years or so. That's probably twice as many coaches as he's had to hire in the first 5 years here. That is a lot of information to run through in a short period of time. Of course, now that we are DI, this might be more of the norm.
                I would like to think that its pretty common to have a short list of coaches on a short list or first contacts. considering we had 1 year contracts for ever, that I would like to think the Admin would be able to move quickly and with out much surprise to get a coaching search going.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm biased with this, but let me just throw some thoughts out. Iowa State isn't the elite landing pad it once was. I believe they haven't sniffed a national championship in almost 30 years. Recruiting in state will be tougher, as you are competing with Iowa and Northern Iowa who currently better programs. $ isn't that far off, the big divide will be multi year contracts. I'm not sure you can throw the mid-major tag out their for SDSU in wrestling. We have superior facilities and everything else vs Iowa State is a tie.

Iowa State is the Noter Dame of wrestling. Their time was in the past.

Again...this is me praying to the 6lb 8oz baby Jesus that we keep Bono.

Comment

Sell better give Bono a pay nice raise
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

At some point the boosters have to step up to the plate ajd help offset pay for our coaches. There is no way that the athletic department can be the only one to fund the salaries that will be required.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Fast tracking the phase of Frost Arena upgrades that includes the new wresting room will be just as important as a salary bump. I'm not sure if Phase I currently includes wrestling or not.

Comment

Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                          I'm biased with this, but let me just throw some thoughts out. Iowa State isn't the elite landing pad it once was. I believe they haven't sniffed a national championship in almost 30 years. Recruiting in state will be tougher, as you are competing with Iowa and Northern Iowa who currently better programs. $ isn't that far off, the big divide will be multi year contracts. I'm not sure you can throw the mid-major tag out their for SDSU in wrestling. We have superior facilities and everything else vs Iowa State is a tie.

Iowa State is the Noter Dame of wrestling. Their time was in the past.

Again...this is me praying to the 6lb 8oz baby Jesus that we keep Bono.
                          Current wrestling facilities at SDSU are not superior to Iowa State. Honestly, ours are subpar. ISU has a much larger and newer practice room, and dedicated space for a team room as well as a dedicated weight room for wrestling. As someone mentioned above, fast tracking the facility piece at SDSU may be critical to this process.

Other stuff is not equal either. Coaching salary isn't far apart, but I believe budgets for the programs are significantly different. One could argue that recruiting area is stronger there as well - taking into consideration that IA produces more division 1 talent than SD and they can recruit more nationally based on past prestige.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            Sell better give Bono a pay nice raise

Like some kind of ultimatum, huh?
                            There are always more places to put money than there is money in college athletics. It troubles me when some suggest the AD controls a fund that he can just tap into for a pay raise.

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            At some point the boosters have to step up to the plate and help offset pay for our coaches. There is no way that the athletic department can be the only one to fund the salaries that will be required.

SoDakJack is focused.SDSU athletics boosters generally (and probably the die-hard wrestling fans in particular) will have to open up their pocketbooks and pour some money into the athletic department to so that the AD can offer a raise to Coach Bono. As a practical matter, won't the people who donate to athletics be the ones who give the raise?

I hope that happens. He's driven the Jackrabbit name into prominence in relatively short order.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Like some kind of ultimatum, huh?
                              There’s always more places to put money than there is money in college athletics. It troubles me when some suggest the AD controls a fund that he can just tap into for a pay raise.

SoDakJack is focused.SDSU athletics boosters generally (and probably the die-hard wrestling fansin particular) will have to open up their pocketbooks and pour some money intothe athletic department to so that the AD can offer a raise to Coach Bono.

I hope that happens. He's driven the Jackrabbit name into prominence in relatively short order.
                              Yikes. I'm just saying that Sell needs to give Bono a raise otherwise Bono is gone. It's not some ultimatum or anything. Lmao
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                                Current wrestling facilities at SDSU are not superior to Iowa State. Honestly, ours are subpar. ISU has a much larger and newer practice room, and dedicated space for a team room as well as a dedicated weight room for wrestling. As someone mentioned above, fast tracking the facility piece at SDSU may be critical to this process.

Other stuff is not equal either. Coaching salary isn't far apart, but I believe budgets for the programs are significantly different. One could argue that recruiting area is stronger there as well - taking into consideration that IA produces more division 1 talent than SD and they can recruit more nationally based on past prestige.
                                agree to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X