Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Kevin Jackson is stepping down at the end of the year.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ason/97304722/

Makes me very nervous about Bono leaving.

Re: Iowa State Head Coaching Position Open

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Kevin Jackson is stepping down at the end of the year.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ason/97304722/

Makes me very nervous about Bono leaving.
    I hope Bono stays put, but it certainly is a risk. Justin might have some difficulty sleeping tonight. There has to be a bunch of people ready to take Jackson place. I guess we dont get real nervous until the short list is announced and Bono name is on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I hope Bono stays put, but it certainly is a risk. Justin might have some difficulty sleeping tonight. There has to be a bunch of people ready to take Jackson place. I guess we dont get real nervous until the short list is announced and Bono name is on it.
      And that would be interesting to see what that means for reader too if Bono is on the short list. Reader might just be a name on our short list. But maybe would considering going too with Bono.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

All I'll say is this...IF Bono gets offered the ISU job, Justin Sell should station himself in Jon Reader's living room with a contract and check book. Reader is so good and ready for a head job. Can't afford to lose both of them to the same job.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Somebody tweeted to Zimmer, that if Bono were to leave he would double his salary. But the salaries I could find online were Bono currently is at $110,000 and Jackson latest figure I could find was $155,000.

Comment

I took a hiatus from posting on here but wanted to sign in and let the wrestling fans know that there have already been discussions between Iowa State and Bono. Don't be alarmed by that because Iowa State knew they were firing their coach. I'd definitely be worried he's the choice, though. It's only a matter of time before Bono leaves. He's been great for SDSU.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              All I'll say is this...IF Bono gets offered the ISU job, Justin Sell should station himself in Jon Reader's living room with a contract and check book. Reader is so good and ready for a head job. Can't afford to lose both of them to the same job.
              Lol. exactly what I was thinking. We have Bono 2.0 waiting in the wings.

Comment

From what I have heard, which are very reliable people, is that Sellhas known
                Bono will leave, and that Sell will go after Reader as the replacement. Bono almost had the Oklahoma job last year and they gave Bono a raise. i think the biggest question is if Schopp stays or goes with Bono. If Reader stays this program keeps going.

Comment

Blog posting on some contenders.
                  http://www.bloodround.com/blog/2017/...d-isu-go-after

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    Oh boy, we could loose our coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Oh boy, we could loose our coach.
                      That's a real possibility. But then again, we are a mid-major school, so coaching turnover is to be expected. Especially if you have good run of success like Coach Bono has had.

If he does decide to leave, he would probably be considered the savior of our program. Let's face it, the program was pretty much on the outs during the transition. And there was even talk on this board as to whether or not to continue to support the program. Fortunately Justin realized that wrestling is important in South Dakota and was able to get the right person to come in and not only rebuild the program, but to make it a national power.

I hope Coach stays. He's a lot of fun to talk to and his passion is infectious. But if he decides to go back to his Alma Mater, I can't blame him for that. But I also have confidence in Justin that he will find another good coach that can keep the culture of success going and continue to push the team to greater heights.

My $.02, anyway.
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                        That's a real possibility. But then again, we are a mid-major school, so coaching turnover is to be expected. Especially if you have good run of success like Coach Bono has had.

If he does decide to leave, he would probably be considered the savior of our program. Let's face it, the program was pretty much on the outs during the transition. And there was even talk on this board as to whether or not to continue to support the program. Fortunately Justin realized that wrestling is important in South Dakota and was able to get the right person to come in and not only rebuild the program, but to make it a national power.

I hope Coach stays. He's a lot of fun to talk to and his passion is infectious. But if he decides to go back to his Alma Mater, I can't blame him for that. But I also have confidence in Justin that he will find another good coach that can keep the culture of success going and continue to push the team to greater heights.

My $.02, anyway.
                        Your 2 cents is very on target. I can not think of anyone who has turned a program around so quickly. I would agree he inherited shambles and turn it around. I hope we can find a replacement such as Assistant Reader if Bono decides to leave.

Comment

While I agree that as a mid major program we should expect coaching turnover in about every sport we have, but I legitimately think we have the capability to become a high end wrestling program with our location in a part of the country where wrestling is a big deal, as well as the fact that high end wrestling coaches salaries aren't nearly as out of reach as basketball or football. Especially since I believe we are capable of having a wrestling following that rivals most programs, looking at what we have been able to draw recently. But I could be way out of line in that thinking, I just look at programs like Lehigh that are very successful and have to think we could duplicate that if we can keep someone like Bono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Coach Bono was at the WBB game tonight. He was an active guy talking to the crowd.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              While I agree that as a mid major program we should expect coaching turnover in about every sport we have, but I legitimately think we have the capability to become a high end wrestling program with our location in a part of the country where wrestling is a big deal, as well as the fact that high end wrestling coaches salaries aren't nearly as out of reach as basketball or football. Especially since I believe we are capable of having a wrestling following that rivals most programs, looking at what we have been able to draw recently. But I could be way out of line in that thinking, I just look at programs like Lehigh that are very successful and have to think we could duplicate that if we can keep someone like Bono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I don't think you are out of line. However, I would say there are four to five positions that any coach will take if they are not at one of those 5. Oklahoma St., Iowa, Iowa St., Penn St., and Minnesota are the traditional power houses of wrestling. If the SDSU coach is offered one of those jobs, it would be hard to turn it down. There is so much tradition and passion at those schools, it is hard to top. I do believe SDSU can be competitive salary-wise, but money isn't always the deciding factor.
                              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Working...
                              X