• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Hawks To Join Summit League

The I-29 Corridor is complete...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...s9N-Cw.twitter
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Fighting Hawks To Join Summit League

Well, it was going to happen eventually, I guess.

(Now waiting to see if NDSU joins the Big 12... )

Comment

And the MVFC in 2020.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        And the MVFC in 2020.
        Wonder how this affects schedules for the MVFC. SDSU already misses an eastern school every year. Missing 2 could create an unbalanced schedule problem come playoff time.

Like could Youngstown St miss both SDSU/NDSU or NDSU/USD in the same season? Wouldn't be fair to the northern schools.

Comment

Not a problem with basketball scheduling , as I'm guessing we go from a 16 game conference schedule to 18. But if the football part happens, it increases the schedule variability, with each Valley team not playing two other conference teams. So what happens if USD misses NDSU and Youngstown, and the Jacks don't play Missouri State and ISU-Blue, as an example. Pretty hard to compare their conference records.

Comment

I think Und doesn't get voted into the mvfc unless members know there will be one departure prior to 2020. The weird scheduling without any other changes would drive me nuts, but I don't think we have to worry about it.

Comment

Imo, pull a CAA schedule, with all teams played vs teams in division, then remainder versus a portion of the other division. If I'm an eastern school that divide is Summit/ non-Summit (YSU is horizon, not MVC). So 4&4 for Summit teams and 5&3 for the other side. So if this year's result 3 Summits 2 non Summits. Doubt all the 3 Summits would have been seeded.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                Wonder how this affects schedules for the MVFC. SDSU already misses an eastern school every year. Missing 2 could create an unbalanced schedule problem come playoff time.

Like could Youngstown St miss both SDSU/NDSU or NDSU/USD in the same season? Wouldn't be fair to the northern schools.
                Really screws the western schools. For UND to get in they likely sold the eastern schools on being able to drop another game against a western school, saving them a trip West every year instead of every other year right now. Then used their possible move to the Summit to leverage those schools, all the whine UNI doesn't even have a president at the moment.

So like the year that ISUr tied the conference title with NDSU but never played in season, could end up worse if say YSU gets to drop SDSU and NDSU off the schedule and wins the conference by one game over one of the xDSUs who had ISUb and SIU dropped off their schedule instead.

I don't mind them in the Summit at all, but unless someone is leaving or the eastern schools didn't demand what I detailed above (doubtful, they have severe budget problems in Illinois) I'm 100% against them in the MVFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

It may be a bit radical, but why not schedule another conference football game? The Big 10 and Big 12 have 9 conference games.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                    It may be a bit radical, but why not schedule another conference football game? The Big 10 and Big 12 have 9 conference games.
                    FBS have 12 games every year (they still have 3 non-conference games)
                    MVFC is brutal. IMO, you need out of conference games to show how good the MVFC teams are compared to other conferences. NSIC (a very good Div II conference) plays all conference games and they don't get rewarded when playoff teams are announced and they beat each other up.

Comment

The Almighty demands that conferences have even memberships and travel partners. Paying little attention, I thought the IPFW game was in Fort Wayne (why not after IUPUI?). I could have driven up there from St. Louis. Even numbers, paired for ever and ever, Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                        FBS have 12 games every year (they still have 3 non-conference games)
                        MVFC is brutal. IMO, you need out of conference games to show how good the MVFC teams are compared to other conferences. NSIC (a very good Div II conference) plays all conference games and they don't get rewarded when playoff teams are announced and they beat each other up.
                        The Jackrabbits had a couple years(2013 & 2014) of 12 games. Was that an anomaly of the rules?
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                          It's probably not complete until Kansas City joins the Summit.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

I welcome UND into the Summit and the Mo Valley. Now UND should re-add baseball.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

At least for the Summit, it made too much sense not to happen. On the men's side, I definitely would not mind replacing two OOC games with additional conference games. It could be a lot less beneficial to the SDSU WBB team (assuming we continue to play at a very high level).

I wonder how this will affect the Summit Tourney. Two teams left out? Some sort of bye system?

Comment

Working...
                              X