GDT: @IUPUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @IUPUI

Some terrible lazy passes from out on top - not just Howell, but Hess and Orris as well. That last full offensive possession left a lot to be desired as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      Beat the spread anyway.
      Yep, I keep winning. Took the Jacks and the points....so I won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Tough loss. Really could have went either way but unfortunately for us that doesn't matter.

man 2 man really looked good IMO , had some great stretches. Iupui just back cut the crap out of us when we were in the zone.

Comment

They took it to the basket on us playing man as well. We didn't protect the basket very well in either defense.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            1-5 with 2 games left vs. IPFW, at Omaha, at NDSU, at USD...gonna need a good accountant to make this pencil out...
            ORU defeats USD and the Jacks are all alone in last place.

With that road gauntlet left, Jacks are in big trouble

Comment

" I like how Orris played on offense. He stepped up"

Seems like someone steps up in almost every game, but absolutely no consistency. Someone else will step up next time and Orris will be back in single digits.

Comment

Kind of amazing the Jacks got it to overtime when Daum and Reed combined for just 12 points in regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  Just wondering, who started? The twitter feed didn't say. But it mentioned Thiessen and Wallace both early.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  As I recall, the starters were Daum, Telly, Hess, Orris and Wallace. Orris had a good game.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    As I recall, the starters were Daum, Telly, Hess, Orris and Wallace. Orris had a good game.
                    Correct on the starters.

Glad we sprinkled in some man. At least now we can judge if we are truly as bad as we appear on paper.

Comment

• Re: GDT: @IUPUI

Thoughts on the game:

Even though we didn't pull out the win, there were a lot of positive signs that have me optimistic enough to believe we won't be in last place for long.

Though we are still a ways away from being a servicable defensive team, there were points throughout the game where the defense was actually forcing errors and missed shots, rather than IUPUI just missing them. The best defense we played all year was for a stretch where we went on a run in the 2nd half, and we were playing man-to-man. There was also a period in the 2nd half were the 1-3-1 was being aggressive and having a negative effect on the Jaguars' offense. We have some liabilities on defense, so I'm not sure we can man up all the time, but I would definitely like to see more of that route with the right personnel on the floor.

Daum only had 9 points and was in a bit of foul trouble, but actually had an okay game. He was immediately double teamed every time he touched the ball inside the arc and overall did a very nice job of passing out of it. I'm a little surprised he only had 3 assists, as it seemed like more. I liked that he didn't just settle for passing back to the player that entered the ball, but actually looked under the basket and cross-court for teammates running toward the basket when their man doubled.

Michael Orris has surprised me greatly. I honestly never expected him to be much of a factor this season, but since conference play has started he's been our most consistent guard. He's doing a good job of providing energy and leadership, but he has also become a legitimate threat when attacking the basket to either finish or get the defense in a scramble, opening up other players.

Speaking of attacking the basket: Chris Howell. The kid actually might have the best combination of size, athleticism, and ability to finish near the hoop the Jackrabbits have ever had from the wing position. Sure he gets out of control now and then and makes a pass that makes you say "WTF," but the overall positives of his game out-weigh the negatives and he's only going to get better with more experience (he's only a sophomore who's never played DI ball before this year and sat out all of last year due to an injury). Also, he actually makes things happen on the defensive end.

Ian Theisen has been playing well as of late. He's been taking advantage of not drawing the double teams in the post and has shown a soft touch around the basket.

Tevin King was a big part of a couple runs we went on. Limited minutes, but I'd like to see him on the floor when we go man-to-man. Just a tough kid.

Like to see Telly attack the basket more. He had a fantastic slam over a defender that should make the season highlight reel for sure.

AJ Hess can be a boon or a boondoggle for this team, sometimes minutes apart. If he is hitting his shots, he can really carry the offense, but when he's not, he basically just a defensive liability.

Wallace, like most games, has been very inconsistent. Needs to make his free throws. Too good of a jump shooter to have that kind of percentage from the line.

Jacks rebounding has been pretty terrible all year, and even though we strangely won the battle tonight (36-33), I believe that had more to with us nearly shooting 60% from the floor (less opportunities for them) and turning the ball over 16 times (again, less opportunities) than us "out rebounding" them. Just giving up way too many second chance points, and it's actually cost us a lot of games this year.

Too many lazy/sloppy/sh*tty (whatever you want to call them) passes for stretches of this game. Bunch of live-ball turnovers that lead to uncontested layups the other way. Needs to be cleaned up.

Overall, I hope we can look back at this game as the turning point in the conference season, because there were plenty of positives to build off of.
                      Last edited by Kemo; 01-19-2017, 03:04 AM.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Is Flatten hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          Thoughts on the game:

Jacks rebounding has been pretty terrible all year, and even though we strangely won the battle tonight (36-33), I believe that had more to with us nearly shooting 60% from the floor (less opportunities for them) and turning the ball over 16 times (again, less opportunities) than us "out rebounding" them. Just giving up way too many second chance points, and it's actually cost us a lot of games this year.

Too many lazy/sloppy/sh*tty (whatever you want to call them) passes for stretches of this game. Bunch of live-ball turnovers that lead to uncontested layups the other way. Needs to be cleaned up.

Overall, I hope we can look back at this game as the turning point in the conference season, because there were plenty of positives to build off of.
                          that is one downfall of running a zone, it's easy for the opposition to get rebounds because defenders are not always in a spot to box out their man. I thought the mix of zone to man was a fine ratio, but personally I thought the man was very effective and iupui didn't have a whole lot of easy looks from it.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            Is Flatten hurt?
                            Possible as he's been hurt most of his entire career here. But I don't think you can deduce that from one game. My take on his situation. He's the most athletic guy on our team and most would agree he should see the floor more. But there are obviously things that are keeping him on the bench. What those "things" are I think only the coaching staffs know. It was that way with Nagy and now TJ. He's in his 4th year with the program. If he's not seeing the floor enough at this point I would argue a lot of that falls on his shoulders.

Disclaimer: this is pure conjecture and I have no inside information to back this up. Simply my opinion.

Comment

Our two primary point guards tonight (Orris and Howell): 2 assists, 9 turnovers. Several of those turnovers were live ball run-outs. IUPUI had a 22-13 edge in points off turnovers.

And we missed 8 free throws.

Should have won this game.

Comment

Someone last night mentioned that Otz must be good at coaching offense because he is getting others to contribute, even when Daum can't get his due to double teams. 1. I would hope that others could contribute, considering the other team is leaving a guy wide open when doubling Daum. 2. I have been less than impressed with the adjustments that have been made to teams doubling Daum. It seems like we're banging our head against a wall just trying to feed it to Daum and hoping he can either score or find the open guy (not unlike we have been banging our head against the wall on defense). I am sick of watching him get doubled, our guys standing there and watching him, waiting for him to do something, and having to throw it way out to the top and reset, giving teams plenty of time to recover. A good coach will adjust his game plan to either take advantage of the double team better, or come up with more creative ways of getting Daum involved. For example, he doesn't get the ball on the perimeter near enough. When he does happen to, he will either knock down a 3 or dominate his guy on the dribble. I understand that this is not a good defensive team, which is why Otz is trying creative ways to play defense, but I have been less than impressed with the offense in many situations as well (especially last night), and we should be a solid offensive team at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X