Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Roster

Good suggestion. Thanks!
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      I'm on paternity leave and this baby is a great sleeper so I'm a little bored. Here is a preseason depth chart in my opinion.
      Good work. Couple questions/comments:

RB - You think Wallace will be behind Daniel in terms of carries? If I had to guess it would be Brady and Wallace getting the bulk with Daniel and Tolu vying for the power back role. I would like to see what Mulholland can do, but it's going to be tough to find carries.

WR - Someone is going to have a huge year with as much attention defenses will be paying to Weineke and Goedert. If Anderson, Lewis, or Wilde can become a consistent threat and win 1 on 1 situations, watch out.

Love how deep we are at both RB and WR.

CB and LB - Other than Rozeboom and Brown, these groups have a lot to prove and will determine how successful this season will be. With out high powered offense, teams will be throwing the ball a lot to play catch up. Getting off the field on 3rd down more consistently would be the biggest improvement and imo is the biggest key to becoming a championship caliber team this year.

SS - You think Romenesko will take over Balster's spot? I can see it, but idk if it will happen right away. Balster is good at stopping the run, but he seems to struggle in pass coverage, which is why I would like to see Romenesko step up.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Good work. Couple questions/comments:

RB - You think Wallace will be behind Daniel in terms of carries? If I had to guess it would be Brady and Wallace getting the bulk with Daniel and Tolu vying for the power back role. I would like to see what Mulholland can do, but it's going to be tough to find carries.

WR - Someone is going to have a huge year with as much attention defenses will be paying to Weineke and Goedert. If Anderson, Lewis, or Wilde can become a consistent threat and win 1 on 1 situations, watch out.

Love how deep we are at both RB and WR.

CB and LB - Other than Rozeboom and Brown, these groups have a lot to prove and will determine how successful this season will be. With out high powered offense, teams will be throwing the ball a lot to play catch up. Getting off the field on 3rd down more consistently would be the biggest improvement and imo is the biggest key to becoming a championship caliber team this year.

SS - You think Romenesko will take over Balster's spot? I can see it, but idk if it will happen right away. Balster is good at stopping the run, but he seems to struggle in pass coverage, which is why I would like to see Romenesko step up.
        I'm not sure on Wallace and Daniel. Wallace just can't seem to put it all together and Daniel had passed Paris on the depth chart before getting hurt last year.

I think Jacob Brown could also have a big year at WR. A lot of my predictions are based on comments Stig made while on the radio during the spring game. Anderson was just starting to come on last year before he got hurt.

One thing that still confuses me is that they moved Genant inside after he did a pretty decent job at RT as a true freshmen when he gave Carr a breather. It'd be nice if Wier had some game experience at tackle as he had only played guard and center if my memory is correct.

I'm hopeful about our defense. The young players have a huge chance to contribute. No one saw Roseboom coming last year and contributing how he did.

I chose Romonesko over Ballster because of Stigs comments. He spoke about the personal tragedy his family experienced last year and how it caused him to focus and work harder. He also had one of the best springs according to Stig. For whatever reason I just don't trust Ballster. I'm hoping we get some consistency and won't have to rotate on the backend as often this season.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jacob Brown will establish himself as the number 3 target and may even put up some pretty impressive numbers.

I don't believe it was a coincidence that the coaching staff pulled Jacob's redshirt last year even though we had a ton of depth at the position. He's very talented and must have been showing up and competing every day in practice over the course of last season to warrant using up a year of eligibility. There seemed to be some trust between Jacob and Taryn in the spring game too and a summer of working together should solidify it even more.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Nice work Westside. With how fast kids pick up technology, it shouldn't be too long before he/she teaches you how to take a screenshot
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              Nice work Westside. With how fast kids pick up technology, it shouldn't be too long before he/she teaches you how to take a screenshot
              I'm on my laptop from college. It might explode if I try to take a screenshot. Haha

Comment

Good job Westside, and God Bless your youngster. That had to take some work and time.

Comment

Tolu O. listed as a DE on the go jacks roster now.

I'm on paternity leave and this baby is a great sleeper so I'm a little bored. Here is a preseason depth chart in my opinion.

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jacob Brown will establish himself as the number 3 target and may even put up some pretty impressive numbers.

I don't believe it was a coincidence that the coaching staff pulled Jacob's redshirt last year even though we had a ton of depth at the position. He's very talented and must have been showing up and competing every day in practice over the course of last season to warrant using up a year of eligibility. There seemed to be some trust between Jacob and Taryn in the spring game too and a summer of working together should solidify it even more.
                    I think with Brown's explosiveness, he will have big year but I just want to say that I don't think you can take a lot from them pulling his redshirt. They pulled Brown's redshirt and he had 2 catches for 4 yards. Brown might have made it 6 WR's last year that had a reception.
                    The year before that, they pulled Wilde's redshirt. Wilde had 0 catches for 0 yards. I think SDSU had 5 other WR's that had a reception that season so if Wilde would have made a reception, there would have been the same number of WR's both years with receptions.
                    I know that after the top 5(?) WR's 2 years ago, they didn't have anybody so they might of had more of a need to pull Wilde's redshirt but I don't know how much. Another factor might have been two years ago we only have 1 stud receiver and last year we had 2 stud receivers so there might have been less of a need to pull a redshirt. On the other hand, Brown returned kicks so they didn't really pull his redshirt for just 2 receptions since he played some there, too.
                    You don't have Brown back returning kicks if you don't like his explosiveness (Wilde didn't do that) so there is a little difference between the two.
                    I just hope we have another WR step up and make about 40+ catches and have about 500+ yards receiving.
                    Last edited by 91jack; 07-12-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      Tolu O. listed as a DE on the go jacks roster now.
                      Looks like lots of roster adjustments and position changes. I'll update and repost soon.

Comment

Okay... so here are the updates

Josh Manchigiah went from CB to S
                        Brandon Thomas- S to LB (Dallas Brown-esque?)
                        Tolu Ogunrinde- RB to DE (Everyone was worried he was going to get too big from day 1 so this isn't shocking)
                        Jeremy Christner- RB to LB (Should allow him to see the field and contribute more)

New names (maybe... at least I don't remember them)
                        Bobby Zavagno- Sophomore LB from Ohio
                        Andrew Mueller- Freshman DE from Emo, MN
                        Bradley Sorenson- Long Snapper from Yankton. He was originally part of the 2016 recruiting class but did not participate with the team last year.
                        Dylan Winegar- R-Freshman DE from Waseca, MN
                        Zach Dorgan- Sophomore from Ralston, NE. Was on the team previously but not in the spring
                        Tristen Leiseth- Sophomore DE from Hamlin via USF. Particpated in spring ball.

Missing
                        Alex Schiefelbein, Mitch Van Beek, and Chase Templeman- Freshman walk-ons. Will join team in the spring
                        Skyler Monagen- Transfer from NIU. Particpated in 2017 spring ball. Caught the long TD. His twitter bio says he still plays football. Not sure what is going on.
                        C.J. Wilson and Malachi Johnson- Grayshirt. Will join team in the spring.

This is the big one... Dominic Simpson. He is attending IWCC. Coaches are afraid that if he does well, we will lose him to a BIG 10 or BIG 12 school. Bummer as he probably would have played for us this year.

Let me know if you see anything else!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tolu come in on offense for heavy packages, much like Langer did.

Comment

Tolu Ogunrinde- RB to DE (Everyone was worried he was going to get too big from day 1 so this isn't shocking)
                            Jeremy Christner- RB to LB (Should allow him to see the field and contribute more)

Bradley Sorenson- Long Snapper from Yankton. He was originally part of the 2016 recruiting class but did not participate with the team last year.
                            Zach Dorgan- Sophomore from Ralston, NE. Was on the team previously but not in the spring

Missing
                            Alex Schiefelbein, Mitch Van Beek, and Chase Templeman- Freshman walk-ons. Will join team in the spring
                            Skyler Monagen- Transfer from NIU. Particpated in 2017 spring ball. Caught the long TD. His twitter bio says he still plays football. Not sure what is going on.

This is the big one... Dominic Simpson. He is attending IWCC. Coaches are afraid that if he does well, we will lose him to a BIG 10 or BIG 12 school. Bummer as he probably would have played for us this year.

Thanks. That is a big loss (Big Dom)!

Comment

Missing

Big loss in Dom, hope he has a great year and we have a great year and he sees it as a way of increasing his playing time and experience to come back here. If Soulek lights it up, gets drafted and we win in January that will certainly bode well for us...

Tolu is a little of a surprise, it looked like he was doing well in spring ball update tapes. Already know the kid is a weightroom stud. Must be incredibly well stocked at RB to make that move...or we are semi-desperate at DE. I'm going to say a little of both. I think Daniel has impressed and will be a big part of the offense. Mulholland has that ZZ intangible I think but could be like Mengarelli too. Not that that is a bad thing. I think in the end Mulholland will end up reminding us of a quicker Minnett. We'd all be smiling if that happens. I'm afraid it's time to show up for Mr Wallace. Is he able to play like he's built or will he forever be plagued with injury and concussion issues. Pierre Strong is a dark horse but the kid already has the look to play, most likely red shirts but I look for him to impress when he gets his chance.

Thomas to LB is a real surprise, he's undersized at safety still. Yet coach Brown and Rogers see something in the young man, I'll trust their gut. My dad and I sat by Brandon's mom and brother at the spring game, super nice people and they said he loves Brookings.

I think it was mentioned Stig said he could see as many as 5 true freshman contributing this year...I'll go out on a limb and say the following:

DE- Callender(man-child, what happens when he gets to 250-260? he could be the Goedert of the D)
                              KR/WR- Campbell(too fast)
                              OT- Gruetzmacher(mountain of a man)
                              LB- Urbanek(smart and tough) or Wilson(Ditto)
                              WR- Hill(much like Campbell, speed kills)

Dark horse offense, WR- Orr(seems to have the "it" factor, size and speed), I know WR is brand new to him but the kid played QB and understands O and was lights out on the back end of the D in HS.
                              Dark horse defense, DB- Lofton(there's a chance that we score fast and often. Build up a big lead and teams will be in all out pass mode, nickel and dime a lot. We will need fresh legs and smart talent on the back end. need to get off the field on 3rd downs.

I honestly could see as many as 8-9 WR's getting a decent amount of rec, so many fast/quick guys running underneath patterns too...19 and 86 will take away so much of the attention. Teams are going to have 3-4 guys concentrating on those 2, either that or they will be blitzing like Buddy Ryan is calling the D. Either way it will end in many favorable matchups.
                              Last edited by Jackedforlife; 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Who is Dom Simpson and why am I drawing a blank on his name?
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X