X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-17 Road to Sioux Falls SLT

https://twitter.com/argusmattz?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Zimmer Twitter
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Literally yelled out-loud when I read the tournament would stay at 8 teams with the addition of UND. The idea of adding an extra game Friday night sounded great; every team gets in and an extra game for extra income. How could anyone hate that! I hope they change their minds about it.
      Rollin' in my 5.0
      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

I'll just put these end of the year awards here in case someone wanted to read all of it.

Men's: http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...20170227mclx1c

Women's: http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...20170228dwy7tn
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
          Literally yelled out-loud when I read the tournament would stay at 8 teams with the addition of UND. The idea of adding an extra game Friday night sounded great; every team gets in and an extra game for extra income. How could anyone hate that! I hope they change their minds about it.
          I am not surprised. When we first joined and it was at 10 teams, the first 8 got in and the bottom 2 stayed home. It seems like they are not interested in changing the format.

Comment

I like that it is staying at 8 teams, makes the regular season conference race actually mean something. Also, if they let all 10 teams make it they would actually need to have two extra games to get from 10 down to 8 teams. For example, 10 vs. 7 and 9 vs. 8 "play-in" game.

I highly doubt those games would generate much attendance unless SDSU or USD were in them, which probably won't happen very often. Can you imagine what attendance would be for an IPFW vs. NDSU women's play-in game on a Friday afternoon? 500? 1000?

Comment

I really liked the idea of rewarding the top 2 seeds with a bye. I guess this makes the regular season mean a lot more, but how many conferences have an even number of teams and have some teams not qualify for their conference tournament? Maybe it's more common than I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I like that it is staying at 8 teams, makes the regular season conference race actually mean something. Also, if they let all 10 teams make it they would actually need to have two extra games to get from 10 down to 8 teams. For example, 10 vs. 7 and 9 vs. 8 "play-in" game.

I highly doubt those games would generate much attendance unless SDSU or USD were in them, which probably won't happen very often. Can you imagine what attendance would be for an IPFW vs. NDSU women's play-in game on a Friday afternoon? 500? 1000?
                This is correct. Having 2 "play in" games with the bottom 4 teams would not make for much of an attendance draw and would require considerable expense. They do it in the Big 12 tourney and you can go to those "first round" games for almost free. Makes little sense for a mid major conference. You want to play in the tournament you better take care of business during the conference season.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  I really liked the idea of rewarding the top 2 seeds with a bye. I guess this makes the regular season mean a lot more, but how many conferences have an even number of teams and have some teams not qualify for their conference tournament? Maybe it's more common than I think.
                  This is a better idea but gives such huge advantage to those 2 teams, too big an advantage with so much at stake in my opinion.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I don't feel strongly either way about allowing all 10 teams in the tourney. But if they would, the only way to go would be to have 7-10 and 8-9 play-in games on the home courts of the higher seeds on the Tuesday or Wednesday prior to the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      I don't feel strongly either way about allowing all 10 teams in the tourney. But if they would, the only way to go would be to have 7-10 and 8-9 play-in games on the home courts of the higher seeds on the Tuesday or Wednesday prior to the tournament.
                      I believe this is correct. If they were to allow all 10 teams in the tournament they would not be granting byes. The 7-10 and 8-9 would play each other early in the week or on Friday night. The Horizon League does this...they have the same set up as the Summit except that they have Friday night games between the 7-10 and 8-9 to see who gets to play on Saturday vs the 1 and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                        I believe this is correct. If they were to allow all 10 teams in the tournament they would not be granting byes. The 7-10 and 8-9 would play each other early in the week or on Friday night. The Horizon League does this...they have the same set up as the Summit except that they have Friday night games between the 7-10 and 8-9 to see who gets to play on Saturday vs the 1 and 2.
                        That's the way they have it this year... in previous years they gave byes to the top 2 teams all the way to the semifinals. Here's their 2016 bracket.

Comment

Matt Zimmer‏Verified account @argusmattz 13m13 minutes ago More

• Copy link to Tweet
                          • Embed Tweet

Matt Zimmer Retweeted Alex Heinert
                          To be clear, Douple also said there would be continued discussions about it. Seemed to suggest there are some that want all 10 in.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I like the 8 team set-up and glad they will stick with it. If team don't perform during the regular season they are not rewarded with tournament appearance.

Comment

Both the NEC and SWAC have 10 teams and only let 8 in, and the OVC has 12 and only lets 8 in (with a really odd 8 team bracket). Those are the only three conferences with an even number of teams (out of 23 total) that don't let some of them into the tournament. Only 3 out of 8 of the odd number teams have all of their teams qualify. The Summit League will definitely be in the minority with their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                Both the NEC and SWAC have 10 teams and only let 8 in, and the OVC has 12 and only lets 8 in (with a really odd 8 team bracket). Those are the only three conferences with an even number of teams (out of 23 total) that don't let some of them into the tournament. Only 3 out of 8 of the odd number teams have all of their teams qualify. The Summit League will definitely be in the minority with their decision.
                                If you want to put so much weight on the regular season conference performance just award the bid to the regular season winner. The NCAA national tourney doesn't have a "bye round". I don't think an autobid should be awarded to a team that wins 2 games in a tournament regardless of their regular season performance. Maybe that's just me.

That said, the financial side of things would greatly favor giving the top 2 seeds a bye and having the first round consist of 4 games, not 2 play in games.

Another option would be sending the 10 seed to the 7 seeds place and the 9 to the 8 seeds place for a play in game ahead of the actual tourney.

Comment

Working...
                                X