Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @ Drake Bulldogs

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    For those of you who thought Ian was "lazy" vs. Drake - you should watch the video of TJ talking to the team in the locker room.
    If you're referring to the RO, and Kemo posts (posts #34 and #35), I think you may have missed the facetiousness in them.

I'm pretty sure they were taking a dig at people who've said he's a lazy player.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      He plays his role and plays it well IMO.
      I think we have a bingo!
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        If you're referring to the RO, and Kemo posts (posts #34 and #35), I think you may have missed the facetiousness in them.

I'm pretty sure they were taking a dig at people who've said he's a lazy player.
        I'm sure that I'm one of those people are taking a "dig" at. To be fair, I've never felt he was lazy. I just don't think he's very good. And I think he is getting beat back not because he is lazy, but because he is slow.

I am happy that you all actually finally got a game to give us an "I told you so." In 13 games it's the 3rd game that he has scored more than 6 points, so I guess use it while you can. However, it's interesting in the previous 4 games when he scored 11 total points (and had 6 total rebounds) you were all pretty quiet... So it's fair to say I don't agree that he is good in his role, but unfortunately he is the best we have. Now, I certainly would love to see him consistently give us 8 point, 6 rebound games. If he does that, then I will be happy to admit I'm wrong. But I guess this is a point where a number of us can just agree to disagree, but please understand if you want to "dig" at me I certainly can bring up plenty of numbers to refute you. So I'm all for just leaving this topic be and I will be happy to move to talking bright spots since we all obviously want to see the men do well.

Now I didn't actually see this game, but based off recent games I did see and the numbers from the Drake game, that Wallace is really starting to play well. I groaned every time I watched him shoot early in the year, but now he is really shooting with confidence. It's really good to have a player coming off the bench that can give a spark like he can. Really, the key to our turnaround has been a few players finally finding their stroke and giving us some scoring punch.

And I agree with others, the 1-3-1 just scares me. It seems like we have had games where we build up a lead and then the other team uses open 3's to shoot themselves back in the game. Against Murray State we mixed up the zone a bit with some 2-3 which at least forced the other team to adjust their offense somewhat. I still would like to see us get to where we at least play some man-to-man so we can make it difficult on the other team to get open looks (from 3 especially). Lucky for us, it appears that outside of IPFW and UNO, they rest of the Summit League teams look really down from last year. I haven't been impressed in the 2 outings of the Bison that I watched (Xavier and UND). Based off their results with common teams, I think we are really at about the same level as them. But considering how far the men have come from where they started, I'm hoping there is still a new level to move to where they can compete with the top teams come playoff time.

Comment

I actually think Ian is a "quality" player, particularly for a backup Center in the Summit league.

As a freshman he was the primary backup for Cody Larson on a Guard Centered team.

As a sophomore he was a starter who split even minutes with the backup on a Guard Centered team.

Now, as a Junior, he's taken a demotion, and doesn't play that much.

At 6'9" and 250+... he's as good of a post player as many of the teams in our conference have. Period.

It's ok, if you disagree. But I honestly feel like anyone who isn't a "star" gets overlooked. Nothing wrong with being a solid player and contributor.

I'm not a fan of the 1-3-1 as a "primary" defense. I do think it's useful, and has it's place. Last night, saw both a 2-3 look, and a 1-2-2 look with Telly at the point of that defense. They mixed it up some.

It would be good to work in some man to man defense too... this team is going to be a continual growth project this season. They'll probably win a few they shouldn't, and lose a few they shouldn't.

There were times last night, that I thought they looked really good. The zone defense was active, the players were boarding, and the offense was flowing. And then they started the 2nd half sluggish, not active on defense, and some bad turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
            I am happy that you all actually finally got a game to give us an "I told you so." In 13 games it's the 3rd game that he has scored more than 6 points, so I guess use it while you can.
            I just want to point out that Ian has only shot the ball more than 3 times in three games all season. Those are the 3 games that he has scored more than 6 points. In several of the games, he's only shot once. We can discuss if he should he shoot more but I've always thought that the people that shoot more shots should score more points.

SDSU needs to have some shooters on the floor and if Ian, El Darwich, Howell, Orris and King all struggle(don't shoot or can't make outside shots) it is tough on the rest of the players. I don't know which one of those 5 I would take in a 3-point shooting contest. That is why Wallace's turnaround has helped this team greatly. I hope another one or two of these players can do the same thing.

Comment

There is a certain amount of consistency involving Ian. Last year he averaged 17.3 minutes and this year it is clocked at 17.7 minutes per game. Last year he averaged 52.6% FG and 43.8% from 3pt line compared to 50% and 33%. Last year he averaged 3.4 rebounds per game and this year it is 3.2. He averaged 1 turnover per game both years. What is it that Ian is expected to accomplish? That is a trick question unless you have the inside information from the coach/player meetings that establish this baseline. SteelSD has set his player expectation that Ian become more efficient in the 40 yard dash. I will bring my timer to the games to mark any progress in this goal. All kidding aside, Ian would not be playing any minutes the past 2.5 years if the coaches thought he was just too slow.

PS Ian is also a 79% free throw artist.
              Last edited by OldHare; 12-20-2016, 03:16 PM.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

Rowdy's interpretation is correct.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Every team needs players to do the dirty work. Ian fills that role and we don't have anyone on the roster that could do a better job.

Comment

Working...
                  X