RECOMMENDED READING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RECOMMENDED READING

"Imperfect Union: A Father's Search for His son in the Aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg", Raasch, Chuck (Non-Fiction; Stackpole Books, 2016).

Synopsis from amazon.com: On the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, Union artillery lieutenant Bayard Wilkeson fell while bravely spurring his men to action. His father, Sam, a New York Times correspondent, was already on his way to Gettysburg when he learned of his son’s wounding but had to wait until the guns went silent before seeking out his son, who had died at the town’s poorhouse. Sitting next to his dead boy, Sam Wilkeson then wrote one of the greatest battlefield dispatches in American history.

Raasch, a Castlewood native, loyal Jackrabbit (SDSU '77, BS Journalism); and accomplished professional writer and commentator on politics and the Washington, DC scene, has completed his first book, the telling of a captivating story about the Civil War that isn't the usual story about battles and the people who fought them.

I had the pleasure of attending Chuck's book signing at DDR Books in Watertown. I'm well into the book -- it's a compelling story with universal appeal. The publication of "Imperfect Union", puts Chuck in the company of those rare recorders of history who have the ability to tell a true story in page-turner fashion.

Buy it.
    Last edited by JackJD; 12-17-2016, 09:01 PM.

Re: RECOMMENDED READING

Any relation to Paul? Played baseball against Paul.

Comment

Not sure. Chuck has a lot of relatives in the Castlewood area.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Any relation to Paul? Played baseball against Paul.
        Yes. He is Paul's brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
        X