• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Next Step

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    He did today on that trick play....
    Well hot dang....consider me satisfied!
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I think everyone should be excited about next year. Those who take time to study the roster have indicated a gaggle of returners. A real thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        Well hot dang....consider me satisfied!
        What happened on that play the resulted in a safety. I don't think you can hang that one Mengerilli. Someone in O line?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          What happened on that play the resulted in a safety. I don't think you can hang that one Mengerilli. Someone in O line?
          I'll hang that on a poor play call. Even Paris had issues getting anything the play before on what was essentially a dive. A stretch play to your scat back is not ideal against a D with their ears pinned back.

Not sur what should've been called but not that play. I guess I'm aggressive in nature anyhow, I'd have gone play action naked boot and taken my chances with 3 hitting 19 or 86 on a seam route. At least TC could've thrown it away if it was dire.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            I'll hang that on a poor play call. Even Paris had issues getting anything the play before on what was essentially a dive. A stretch play to your scat back is not ideal against a D with their ears pinned back.

Not sur what should've been called but not that play. I guess I'm aggressive in nature anyhow, I'd have gone play action naked boot and taken my chances with 3 hitting 19 or 86 on a seam route. At least TC could've thrown it away if it was dire.
            Thank you! That one does not look good for Eric Eidness. Privately he would tell you that his staff and him made a big mistake, but he is not one to speak openly about individual plays. I notice ESPN focused on the NDSU O coordinator who told them that he made some calls in the October game that he would like to take back. So coaching is not an easy job. Once you decide to go with a play, you live with the results. I just think everyone has a piece of blame to this 38-10 schalacking.

Comment

Thank you! That one does not look good for Eric Eidness. Privately he would tell you that his staff and him made a big mistake, but he is not one to speak openly about individual plays. I notice ESPN focused on the NDSU O coordinator who told them that he made some calls in the October game that he would like to take back. So coaching is not an easy job. Once you decide to go with a play, you live with the results. I just think everyone has a piece of blame to this 38-10 schalacking.
              I agree, The coaches job is not an easy one. Especially the coordinators because they are also held to the HC standards. We all know Stig and I for one am glad he is our HC and I hope we have several more years. That said he has shifted a few ideals(Shotgun wide open O) so I can only hope a few others are changing and we have the athletes to carry it out now.

Comment

Hey now; don't want to make it worse than it was. It was 36-10, but it did feel like they scored double that at the end

Comment

For those wishing for a power run game. It's not going to happen in our offensive scheme (shot gun, spread option offense). A college coach and I have talked about this many times as I also follow Notre Dame football - talk about a train wreck. ND ran exclusively out of the shot gun this season. I asked him about having some under center plays for short yardage. He said it's a mentality. In his opinion offensive lineman take on the mentality of their offensive scheme. He said it's very difficult to run shotgun 95% of the game and then lineup in the eye formation and smash someone in the mouth. Just his two cents.......

I would also like to see some smash mouth football on short yardage but it's not a easy as it may seem.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                    For those wishing for a power run game. It's not going to happen in our offensive scheme (shot gun, spread option offense). A college coach and I have talked about this many times as I also follow Notre Dame football - talk about a train wreck. ND ran exclusively out of the shot gun this season. I asked him about having some under center plays for short yardage. He said it's a mentality. In his opinion offensive lineman take on the mentality of their offensive scheme. He said it's very difficult to run shotgun 95% of the game and then lineup in the eye formation and smash someone in the mouth. Just his two cents.......

I would also like to see some smash mouth football on short yardage but it's not a easy as it may seem.

Go Rabbits!
                    That's fine, but then I would counter that the shotgun offense will likely hinder us from making the next step.

How many high-flying spread offense dominated teams have won a championship at any level in the last 10 years?

We play in a northern climate. Our home field is not conducive to the type of offense we are running right now come late season/playoff games.

The record setting stats are great and all, but is this the type of offense philosophy that will actually win us games in the playoffs in December?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                      Hey now; don't want to make it worse than it was. It was 36-10, but it did feel like they scored double that at the end
                      Oops I knew better, nothing like another safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        That's fine, but then I would counter that the shotgun offense will likely hinder us from making the next step.

How many high-flying spread offense dominated teams have won a championship at any level in the last 10 years?

We play in a northern climate. Our home field is not conducive to the type of offense we are running right now come late season/playoff games.

The record setting stats are great and all, but is this the type of offense philosophy that will actually win us games in the playoffs in December?
                        How about Auburn in 2010? Their opponent, the Ducks, also utilized that style, right?

Maybe we should be looking at DE rather than focusing largely on offense. It'd be great if we saw the emergence of an edge rusher in the Batten/Peete mold.

Comment

How about Auburn in 2010? Their opponent, the Ducks, also utilized that style, right?

Maybe we should be looking at DE rather than focusing largely on offense. It'd be great if we saw the emergence of an edge rusher in the Batten/Peete mold.
                          I think that may be what we'll see out of Elijah Wilson. I believe Smenda has that ability as well. Both Kern and Banasiak have the skill set but have yet to explode with it. I ultimately think our best pressure will be when we send an extra guy. Several times when either, D Brown, J Brown or Rozeboom were sent it wreaked havoc and I don't remember them ever getting burned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

An intermediate passing game can actually thrive in snowy/slick conditions. The offensive player knows where he is going and can plan for his cuts.

Bad conditions hinder the run. Just look at the Cal Poly/San Diego game in this year's playoffs.

It comes down to making plays regardless of the conditions.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              I think that may be what we'll see out of Elijah Wilson. I believe Smenda has that ability as well. Both Kern and Banasiak have the skill set but have yet to explode with it. I ultimately think our best pressure will be when we send an extra guy. Several times when either, D Brown, J Brown or Rozeboom were sent it wreaked havoc and I don't remember them ever getting burned.
                              Hope my post didn't imply that the player definitely isn't on the roster now. It was more about my belief that long conversions like NDSU had become less likely with effective edge pressure.

Regarding blitzing, I agree. The blitzes I recall were disruptive due to effective tackling by blitzer(s) and great timing/planning by the coaches
                              Last edited by jakejc795; 12-12-2016, 03:01 PM. Reason: "definitely" redundance

Comment

Hope my post didn't imply that the player definitely definitely isn't on the roster now. It was more about my belief that long conversions like NDSU had become less likely with effective edge pressure.

Regarding blitzing, I agree. The blitzes I recall were disruptive due to effective tackling by blitzer(s) and great timing/planning by the coaches
                                No, I understood where you were going with it. I think we will arguably have the most athletically talented roster top to bottom that we've ever had next year. Think about it, there are potentially 4 seniors that will be on NFL draft boards in Jake, Dallas, Kellen and possibly Ohnesorge. Exciting times
                                Last edited by Jackedforlife; 12-13-2016, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X