The Next Step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Next Step

A read option on the two yard line is a mistake. Defense was coming strong with all gaps plugged so running that play had failure before it was snapped.
    Last edited by Hareofthedog; 12-12-2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      A read option on the two yard line is a mistake. Defense was coming strong with all gaps plugged so running that play had failure before it was snapped he a safety

This.

Comment

IMO, the next step would be to win the games we are supposed to win. Year after year the jacks have a head scratcher game or two (Poly, ISUr in '16; UNI, WIU in '15; YSU in '14).

As fans we cannot judge the Jacks or Stig based off the bison. No team or coach has beat them in the playoffs six years counting.

If the trend continues where the Jacks keep losing to teams that they should beat, then you might have to look for a change.

Next year is very favorable for the Jacks to run the table with no FBS game, Duquesne and Drake at home, at Montana St and a great home conference schedule.

Undefeated next year = guaranteed top 4 seed, probably 1 or 2. 1 loss (NDSU) = more than likely top 4. 2 losses = probably 5-8 seed and funneled to Fargo. 3 losses = no seed (OOC SOS) funneled to Fargo. Win the games your supposed to, 50/50 with the bison, will be a great season. With the offensive weapons returning next year, I would be very disappointed if more than 1 loss, but that's just me.

Cannot wait for next year! GBGBGJ!

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
          This bend don't break defense thing drives me nuts. I understand it when we are out man but come on.
          Same. It's like footballs version of baseballs pitch to contact....
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            That's fine, but then I would counter that the shotgun offense will likely hinder us from making the next step.

How many high-flying spread offense dominated teams have won a championship at any level in the last 10 years?

We play in a northern climate. Our home field is not conducive to the type of offense we are running right now come late season/playoff games.

The record setting stats are great and all, but is this the type of offense philosophy that will actually win us games in the playoffs in December?
            So how many wins did that get us against the Bison and how many seeds did running that offense get us over the last 6 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Perhaps more than anything, the Jacks need to get more creative and aggressive in raising additional funding for recruiting, player scholarships, coaching salaries and regional promotion of the Jackrabbits to build the fan base. Winning is the most important step, of course, but winning is hard to maintain long term without strong, underlying support of the program.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                Perhaps more than anything, the Jacks need to get more creative and aggressive in raising additional funding for recruiting, player scholarships, coaching salaries and regional promotion of the Jackrabbits to build the fan base. Winning is the most important step, of course, but winning is hard to maintain long term without strong, underlying support of the program.
                How does the Jackrabbit Club compare to Team Builders in Fargo? How does it compare to other FCS schools? I'm assuming that any public institution has to have the financials for their booster clubs.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  One thing that was thrown around a couple years ago was a 50/50 raffle during football games. They do it in Fargo. I don't know why it wouldn't work in Brookings.

Now I understand that it would take a fair number of people to run successfully, but it could bring in a fair chunk of money over a year.

When I lived in Billings, I was part of a group of guys that sold beer at the Billings Mustang's games (local minor league affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds). I think there was a maximum of 40 guys in the club and the only way to get in was to be sponsored and hope someone dropped out. There was also a yearly fee to join ($250 I think). Our job was to sell beer at all home games (we'd get free beer!). The club would get a percentage of the proceeds that they would distribute to groups in the community. One cause they supported was the Big Sky Honor Flight which flew veterans to Washington DC to see the war memorials.

I don't know why something similar couldn't be done at SDSU. It'd just take some people to start the group. Sell 50/50 tickets with 1/2 going to the winner and the other 1/2 going to the football program. Maybe it goes to scholarships maybe it goes to increasing the pay of the assistants.

Here is a case study from NDSU: http://www.5050central.com/pdf/CaseStudy_NDSU.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    One thing that was thrown around a couple years ago was a 50/50 raffle during football games. They do it in Fargo. I don't know why it wouldn't work in Brookings.

Now I understand that it would take a fair number of people to run successfully, but it could bring in a fair chunk of money over a year.

When I lived in Billings, I was part of a group of guys that sold beer at the Billings Mustang's games (local minor league affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds). I think there was a maximum of 40 guys in the club and the only way to get in was to be sponsored and hope someone dropped out. There was also a yearly fee to join ($250 I think). Our job was to sell beer at all home games (we'd get free beer!). The club would get a percentage of the proceeds that they would distribute to groups in the community. One cause they supported was the Big Sky Honor Flight which flew veterans to Washington DC to see the war memorials.

I don't know why something similar couldn't be done at SDSU. It'd just take some people to start the group. Sell 50/50 tickets with 1/2 going to the winner and the other 1/2 going to the football program. Maybe it goes to scholarships maybe it goes to increasing the pay of the assistants.

Here is a case study from NDSU: http://www.5050central.com/pdf/CaseStudy_NDSU.pdf

This outside outfit 50/50 Central is a huge operation and NDSU Teamakers is one of many of their clients. I really thought is was a good idea until I started googling 50/50 and they are really involved in this type of thing, big time. I really doubt that SDSU would gain much from them being involved. It would take some people to get it started. 50/50 has all the software and makes it possible to tabulated all the tickets sold and draw the winner by half time.

I did discuss this with Brian Brunner who no longer with SDSU, and he told me that they had tried this at Central Michigan and it was so-so as I recall. We seem to have a bunch of people guarding Club 71, and maybe some of those people could be converted to selling raffle tickets. The big difference it that the Team-makers is not part of the Athletic Department at NDSU. They are kind of a associated group that works on the athletic department's behalf and for the benefit of the athletics at NDSU.

Comment

I don't disagree with the thought that raising funding would be a help. I do think its a tough environment for that given how steeply tickets have gone up as of late.
                      My football bill was pretty high this year.

With all that said, I don't know what a "fully funded" plan for the football program would be...does it exist? Hard to fundraise without a concrete goal.

Comment

I'm trying to remember how you guys are handling FCOA...is it a case by case basis for football? This could have quite an impact on creating more separation between the haves and have nots. As it is there are only probably 6 or so teams a year that realistically have a chance at a NC...my guess is that widens the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                          I don't disagree with the thought that raising funding would be a help. I do think its a tough environment for that given how steeply tickets have gone up as of late.
                          My football bill was pretty high this year.

With all that said, I don't know what a "fully funded" plan for the football program would be...does it exist? Hard to fundraise without a concrete goal.
                          Ugh...my tickets have gone up quite a bit every year...my bill is probably double what it was when our run began. Winning has its costs! It is nice once it hits the playoffs that a person only has to cover the ticket price...no extra fees (teammaker dues in my case).

Comment

JMU pregame speech by first year head coach was awesome and the team played like it. Attitude baby!

Comment

Maybe this has been talked about elsewhere. If so please move or delete.

https://twitter.com/jhoeck/status/814230596021026818

What is the scoop here? Was this expected? Is it a big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
                                Maybe this has been talked about elsewhere. If so please move or delete.

https://twitter.com/jhoeck/status/814230596021026818

What is the scoop here? Was this expected? Is it a big deal?
                                Good for Jessie! Hard worker and really a good person. He really worked his way up through the SDSU coaching program and I believe started as a student coach (could be wrong on that). Hopefully NSU treats him well and he can move on to something bigger in the future.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X