Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Coyotes

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Here's what I was told from a knowledgeable fan in my area: When the ball landed in the endzone untouched by a player, it was a touchback so it comes out to the 25. The play looked weird because there was no whistle. So, when the ball bounced back to the field of play, the player, not hearing a whistle, did the safe and smart thing by falling on the ball at the two. the refs sorted it out quickly.
    I'm still trying to figure out if that official ten feet from the play either had bad eyesight or forgot how the rule works. He was stationed right on the goal line, and you could see him on the replay the entire time, and he never made any move to call the play dead until the scramble trying to recover the ball was over. It would have been unfortunate if someone had gotten injured in that pile on a play that shouldn't have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      I'm with you on this one. With it being a three day weekend, I was very happy with the student turn-out, and the % that stayed until the end was as high as any game this season. And kudos to them for keeping it classy - I heard a couple faint Screw the U chants, but they were very faint.
      Agree regarding the students. In terms of class, I was disappointed by the vulgarity displayed by adult fans in Section 120 in front of me. I'm all for people being fired up, but for fans who bring kids (or consider bringing younger relatives, like me), it's off-putting to witness fellow Jacks fans swearing at officials, 'Yote redshirts, etc. Let's keep it loud but classy, especially during rivalry games, as we strive to expand the fanbase (and possibly even encourage younger fans to attend SDSU).

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out if that official ten feet from the play either had bad eyesight or forgot how the rule works. He was stationed right on the goal line, and you could see him on the replay the entire time, and he never made any move to call the play dead until the scramble trying to recover the ball was over. It would have been unfortunate if someone had gotten injured in that pile on a play that shouldn't have happened.
        My thought on this was he was playing it safe and let the play go on, knowing that it could be reviewed and determined that the ball hit in the end zone. If he calls it hit in the end zone and it was determined it didn't, would be hard to figure out where to actually place it. I was fine with him letting them play on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Listening to radio coverage, they gave the player of the game award to the offensive line for the pass protection and opening many holes for the running backs. Two of them Wallace and Mangerilli had over 100 yards. I don't have the trained eyes to recognize good plays, but thanks Mike Struck, being an old defensive player did recognize our guys.
          The offensive line was maybe the biggest question mark going into the season, and they have turned into a strength. Coach Eck has to get credit for that with teaching technique and maybe more so creating enthusiasm. And with Genant sharing time with Carr, we will have an entire starting unit back next year. And a number of highly regarded recruits coming in.

Comment

The offensive line was maybe the biggest question mark going into the season, and they have turned into a strength. Coach Eck has to get credit for that with teaching technique and maybe more so creating enthusiasm. And with Genant sharing time with Carr, we will have an entire starting unit back next year. And a number of highly regarded recruits coming in.
            Eck was a good hire IMO, lets hope he can hold on to him.

Comment

Definatly have to give Eck a lot of credit in a short time
              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Rant: I know there is nothing we can do about it now, but we are really missing Trey Carr and/or Shak Taylor. They are not here for a reason, but the #2 and #3 CB position has been a weakness all year. Mosley and Washington struggled again yesterday.

!
                Has Mosley been playing more the last couple of weeks, or have I just been noticing him more as he has gotten beat deep 3 or 4 times ? Was surprised to see him and Washington in the game together yesterday and Brown sitting at times. Hopefully the corners will be better next year with a year of experience, and some good prospects redshirting.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  My thought on this was he was playing it safe and let the play go on, knowing that it could be reviewed and determined that the ball hit in the end zone. If he calls it hit in the end zone and it was determined it didn't, would be hard to figure out where to actually place it. I was fine with him letting them play on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I'm going to have to look up official rules on this (and I'm not going to do that), but my decent football knowledge is telling me that the officials screwed up that play. In High School football, the ball is dead when it crosses the plan, whether it lands in the end zone or the returner catches it in the end zone. If that official is correct, then in college, the ball is dead if it bounces in the end zone, but not if it is caught in the end zone? Then why do we see players catching the ball and kneeling it in the end zone? Because it is a live ball!

The ball landed on the goal line, then bounced out to the 2. The USD player jumped on the ball, therefore returning the ball to the 2 yard line? How is that different than letting the ball bounce in the end zone, then fielding it and returning it to the 10 yard line, and then saying, "oh, since it bounced in the end zone we want to take the touchback and move the ball to the 20?"

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                    I'm going to have to look up official rules on this (and I'm not going to do that), but my decent football knowledge is telling me that the officials screwed up that play. In High School football, the ball is dead when it crosses the plan, whether it lands in the end zone or the returner catches it in the end zone. If that official is correct, then in college, the ball is dead if it bounces in the end zone, but not if it is caught in the end zone? Then why do we see players catching the ball and kneeling it in the end zone? Because it is a live ball!

The ball landed on the goal line, then bounced out to the 2. The USD player jumped on the ball, therefore returning the ball to the 2 yard line? How is that different than letting the ball bounce in the end zone, then fielding it and returning it to the 10 yard line, and then saying, "oh, since it bounced in the end zone we want to take the touchback and move the ball to the 20?"
                    I just looked up the official rules. I also thought he got it wrong, but if the ball lands in the end zone it is a touchback.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

From the rule book

Touching Ground On or Behind Goal Line
                      ARTICLE 9. When a scrimmage kick untouched by Team B beyond the neutral
                      zone touches the ground on or behind Team B’s goal line, the ball becomes dead
                      and belongs to Team B. (Rule 8-4-2-b) (A.R. 6-3-9-I-II).
                      I feel like there have been times when the SDSU returners have just let the ball bounce in the end zone and the ball just gets taken out to the 20. As long as no one touches it in the end zone, the play is dead.

Comment

Working...
                      X