Jackrabbit Journal - November 9 Episode - Midco Sports Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit Journal - November 9 Episode - Midco Sports Network

The latest edition of Jackrabbit Journal is now online here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdkjjej-4n0

Segment 1: A quick recap of SDSU's win over Missouri State, including their emphasis on the running game.

Segment 2: Host Tom Nieman and head coach John Stiegelmeier break down the 1st half highlights vs. Missouri State.

Segment 3: Tom and Stig break down the 2nd half highlights vs. Missouri State.

Segment 4: Tom and analyst Hank McCall break down the rivalry matchup with USD.

Segment 5: A recap of SDSU wrestling's win over Iowa State.

Should you not be at Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium on Saturday, Midco Sports Network has you covered! We will have a live pregame show starting at 1:30 and then the rivalry game when it kicks off around 2:05.

Re: Jackrabbit Journal - November 9 Episode - Midco Sports Network

I know its not the most popular sport, and its football season, but I think the wrestling team deserved more than 1 minute and 20 seconds on this episode. It was a big win over a big opponent, and it was fantastic night! Also, no mention of women's soccer winning the Summit League Tournament again, or cross country heading to the Midwest Region today.

I realize most people don't pay much attention to the sports teams besides football and basketball, but if they are going to talk about Jackrabbit Athletics shouldn't they spend some time talking about the other teams, as well, especially when they are doing well or win conference titles?

Does anyone else feel the same way?
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
      I know its not the most popular sport, and its football season, but I think the wrestling team deserved more than 1 minute and 20 seconds on this episode. It was a big win over a big opponent, and it was fantastic night! Also, no mention of women's soccer winning the Summit League Tournament again, or cross country heading to the Midwest Region today.

I realize most people don't pay much attention to the sports teams besides football and basketball, but if they are going to talk about Jackrabbit Athletics shouldn't they spend some time talking about the other teams, as well, especially when they are doing well or win conference titles?

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Yeah, I wish the had an hour long show, or one show a week for football/basketball, one for everything else. the more coverage the better, but I am sure there needs to be demand from the viewers for more content like that.

A little off the topic, but I would love to see WNAX do a 30min -1 hour after the game sports talk show or call in show. Have more coverage and talk about the game, take callers, talk about the conference and playoffs etc. I like the breakdown after the game with Tyler and recap and stats but sometimes leaving the stadium, the post game wrap up is over even before leaving the parking lot. that's leaves a lot of fans who could be listening to show for the drive home.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Just as an FYI to some of the concerns that have been raised: we are contracted to produce at least 24 episodes of Jackrabbit Journal during a school year (the show is in its 5th season and we have always gone over, usually doing 26-28 episodes due to success in the Summit League Tournament) and during that time, football and basketball are the primary showcases, no question. We have exclusive interviews with the football and basketball coaches through the show, so that's what we primarily choose to do.

With this week's show in particular, had it not been rivalry week with USD, a little more time probably would have been spent on wrestling. We are fully aware how big of a win it was for the program and Chris Bono has been very gracious with his time with us over the past couple of years. We were planning on talking with him on Monday, but due to some scheduling issues, we were unable to do so. Hence, we had to rely on some post-match sound provided to us by the school.

Because Midco Sports Network is based in Sioux Falls, we have to drive 45-50 minutes each way on Mondays to get our coach interviews (whether it's Coach Stig or Bono in the fall or Coaches Otz/AJ in the winter). We have to do this on Mondays in order to have enough time to produce a full 30-minute show for Wednesday at 6 PM (when the show gets its original airing). As the producer, this involves not only getting the interviews with the coaches, but editing them down for timing, making sure we have the correct game footage, making graphics, making transitions, selecting show music, filming segments in our studio, editing other video like feature stories, and piecing it all together. This isn't meant to be an excuse, but an explanation of the process we go through every week.

As far as soccer is concerned, we didn't put it in our show because we have another original program "Inside The Summit League" that covered it. That show is also hosted by Tom Nieman and airs Thursdays at 6:30 PM (if you have Midco), but is also readily available on our YouTube page. Here is this week's episode, where the soccer team is addressed right away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYWxG5lmTk

I feel we do quality work and we do make an earnest effort to cover some of the non-football, non-basketball sports when warranted. But football and basketball will always be the primary sources for this show for a few reasons: 1. They're the most popular. 2. They're simply the easiest when it comes to getting our own video or accessing other video and 3. They're the best for having content that can fill a brand-new show every single week.

There are some weeks where we'll have more than enough time to cover wrestling. Then there are weeks like this where they get 1 minute and 20 seconds. These are just the realities of the situation when it comes to the workflow I deal with and the content readily available to us. I hope this brings a better understanding of what we do.

Comment

Midco is a great asset to the Dakota schools. This quick response to questions indicates the level of service many MVFC or Summit schools do not enjoy. Although, the feedback of other Summit schools for the tournament coverage is a plus for many. We are not quite to the Big 10 Network, but the ground work is there is demand continues.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
          X