SDSU Wrestling in Top 20!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Wrestling in Top 20!!!

After this weekends performance, the Jackrabbits are in the top 20 for the first time ever.

Flowrestling - 18:
    http://www.flowrestling.org/ranking/...016-11-07/team

Coaches poll - 21:
    http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling...es-poll-top-25

Re: SDSU Wrestling in Top 20!!!

Is it a fair question to be concerned about coach Bono, possibly being hired by Iowa State University, in the near future? The man, has proven to be very successful wherever he's gone and he is an Iowa State alum.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
      Is it a fair question to be concerned about coach Bono, possibly being hired by Iowa State University, in the near future? The man, has proven to be very successful wherever he's gone and he is an Iowa State alum.
      I'm not very familiar with college wrestling, but it would seem to be a sport where we could keep our pay much more competitive to the big boys. With our location in the Midwest and popularity of wrestling in SD I honestly don't see why we couldn't become a national power if we really try to be. I mean we drew 1800 for the last meet, I could see it growing more than that. If a tiny school like Lehigh can be a power I don't see why we couldn't if we invested in keeping a coach like Bono. Maybe we can't and I'm crazy as hell though, someone more familiar with college wrestling can fill me in. This is an instance where the number of sports we offer could really end up holding back the opportunity to become something really special due to lack of resources though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        I'm not very familiar with college wrestling, but it would seem to be a sport where we could keep our pay much more competitive to the big boys. With our location in the Midwest and popularity of wrestling in SD I honestly don't see why we couldn't become a national power if we really try to be. I mean we drew 1800 for the last meet, I could see it growing more than that. If a tiny school like Lehigh can be a power I don't see why we couldn't if we invested in keeping a coach like Bono. Maybe we can't and I'm crazy as hell though, someone more familiar with college wrestling can fill me in. This is an instance where the number of sports we offer could really end up holding back the opportunity to become something really special due to lack of resources though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Kevin Jackson salary is around $150,000.

Comment

If they want to get better they need a D1 room and locker room and 9.9 scholarships to compete for the top recruits.

Comment

I think the biggest thing for recruiting and drawing in better kids is the success of the current team. I think Bono has an energetic personality but I am sure it can be hard to get his foot in the door against the traditional wrestling powers. I think the decision to partner with Flowrestling will help a lot with the teams exposure. With the win over Iowa State and a successful Dak Open, there were a lot of headlines for the program and its wrestlers. Getting an all-american this year is important to the continued rise of the program. Currently, Gross and Rotert are ranked 6th and should have a good chance to place in the top 8.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
              Yes. Iowa State will have more money to offer Bono than SDSU. There is also a bit more heritage at ISU (Gable, Sanderson, etc.).
              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I wouldn't worry about Bono leaving here anytime soon. He is driven and also believes that it is possible to go big time right here (and the 27-9 pasting of his alma mater Iowa State) at least indicates that possibility. Let's not jump to quickly on that thought though, as we will have our work cut out for us competing against the three other Big 12 teams on our schedule this year. Still he and his assistant coaches have moved the needle tremendously already. Just signed some very good wrestlers this week and the coaches are very happy with the additions.

Comment

Jackrabbits National Rankings

1/17/2017
                  WIN Wrestling Magazine #14
                  Division I Wrestling Coaches Poll #19
                  InterMat Tournament Rankings #22
                  InterMat Dual Meet Rankings #17

1/16/2017
                  FloWrestling Dual Team #19

1/12/2017
                  The Open Mat #24