The name: "South Dakota"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The name: "South Dakota"

I noticed the Summit League's story on the Jackrabbits' third-straight conference title in soccer (link is below) included the following:

"...Oral Roberts senior forward Tahlor Lyman fed a lead pass to sophomore forward Chloe Basnett who took a heavy shot in front of the net, but had it saved by South Dakota freshman goalkeeper Maggie Smither."

Notice the reference is to "South Dakota". I seem to read more frequently use of "South Dakota" in a story about South Dakota State. It may be that the writer, having made clear in the story that the story was about SDSU, uses the abbreviated "South Dakota" in the remainder of the story. Will the Yotes get upset because it seems we're known as SDSU, SD State, South Dakota State and South Dakota?

I recall after SDSU announced it was moving to D1, USD decided to call themselves "South Dakota's team". Citizens of South Dakota probably should have considered some sort of class-action lawsuit brought on behalf of South Dakota citizens who wanted nothing to do with THAT claim! (Totally kidding, of course ... even if such a cause of action would be recognized, how would one prove any damages--it was common knowledge they weren't South Dakota's team and only took on that moniker because they were going through what seemed to be an annual change in marketing ideas: 605; South Dakota's team; paying for highway billboards advertising a game at SDSU; etc.). The name didn't last long...they couldn't earn it and keep it. I think every time someone mentioned South Dakota's team, there were increased sales of Jackrabbit gear at the SDSU Bookstore locations, Scheels, Dunhams etc.

In interviews following Saturday's win over Missouri State, Coach Stig and players noted the upcoming USD game is going to be treated as another tough Missouri Valley contest. I think it was Stig who commented that they'll talk about rivalry but the players on the team really do not know what it was like in the past. Comparing that to the NDSU game, Stig said the coaches may have over-hyped that game a little. The players, however, certainly know the rivalry with NDSU and they wanted that game badly.

This week will be an ugly one. With the backdrop of an embarrassing Presidential election, we have to think about letting 'Yotes into our new stadium. Bring Lysol.

Here's the link to the Summit League website story: http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...20161105thh7vm
    Last edited by JackJD; 11-06-2016, 09:57 PM.

Re: The name: "South Dakota"

It's probably fitting that SDSU gradually take over the name "South Dakota," if it wants. SDSU starts with "South Dakota," it's the bigger school and the "SD" stretch logo is well established. USD starts with University. As for "South Dakota's team," we know who that is, and it isn't the Coyotes.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Re: The name: "South Dakota"

The playoffs are within a victory of locking up a bid. But victory in the Valley is never a certainty. And “little brother” comes calling this week. Next, vs. South Dakota.
      http://onpressrow.com/test/2016/11/0...lance-week-10/
      Even Gary Rima down in Cedar Falls calls USeD our little brother lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
      X