MVFC Playoff Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVFC Playoff Outlook

I am stealing this from Professor Chaos for AGS. I thought it was thoughtful analysis that laid out the playoff picture for all of the MVFC teams.

Two teams were eliminated in week 10 leaving only 6 teams still in contention for a playoff spot. Due to Illinois St's stunning turnaround I think there's now an outside shot of 5 MVFC teams making it to the playoffs but it's still looking like 4 is more likely given that with the way the conference season has gone there's probably going to be some head scratching losses in the last two weeks by teams that can't afford them. I've ordered the teams according to who I think has the easiest path, or is already locked in, to the playoffs to the toughest along with my thoughts on where each is shaking out.

Locks

North Dakota St (8-1, 5-1)
    Quality wins: CSU, EWU, @Iowa, @WIU, YSU
    Bad losses: None
    Remaining games: ISUb, @USD
    The Bison locked themselves into the field picking up yet another quality win against YSU. I'd think they're in position to have homefield throughout the playoffs once again as a top 2 seed if they win out but whos knows with this selection committee's curious initial rankings. I think even if they split their final two they'll be seeded but they should be heavily favored to win both.

Should be in

South Dakota St (6-3, 5-1)
    Quality wins: WIU, @NDSU, YSU
    Bad losses: @ISUr (although this loss isn't looking as bad as it did a week ago)
    Remaining games: USD, @UNI
    The Jacks got on track today knocking MSU out of playoff contention in convincing fashion. I think one more win locks them in and they face a reeling USD team at home next week with a good chance to get that. They better not mess around with that one though because that season finale in Cedar Falls has the potential to be a big game for UNI so that definitely won't be a gimme. I still think if they win out they've got a shot at a seed but they'd need help, especially considering the committee's odd placement of NDSU doesn't appear to show they value SDSU or the MVFC very strongly right now.

Work left to do

Youngstown St (6-3, 4-2)
    Quality wins: None
    Bad losses: None
    Remaining games: SIU, @MSU
    No good wins but no bad losses for YSU means they need to win their last 2 to lock themselves in which is definitely doable given they're facing two teams that are essentially just playing for pride at this point. However, if they only win 1 they'll find themselves in a familiar place firmly on the bubble come Selection Sunday given their weak non-conference schedule and complete lack of quality wins. Their chances at a bye went by the wayside with their loss today but making the playoffs for the first time in 10 years would be a great step forward for this program.

Western Illinois (6-3, 3-3)
    Quality wins: NIU
    Bad losses: ISUr (like SDSU it's tough to call this a bad loss - the timing of it is bad moreso than the opponent)
    Remaining games: UNI, @SIU
    The Necks were the latest team to fall victim to a suddendly revitalized ISUr squad and they're now very much on the bubble with a UNI team coming to town next week that's desperate for a win. They need to win both of their final games to take out a Selection Sunday sweat. I think they'll be fine even if they only win one to finish at 7-4 but they'd have to depend on bubble teams elsewhere helping them out a bit. Their seeds chances also went out the window today but they've got bigger worries than that right now.

Must win out

Illinois St (5-5, 3-4)
    Quality wins: @Northwestern, SDSU, @WIU
    Bad losses: @ISUb, @USD
    Remaining games: MSU
    The roller coaster season for the Redbirds hit probably it's highest point today with a huge road win against WIU. All they need to do is beat Missouri St at home next week and I think they've got a great shot at 6-5 with 3 quality wins (but boy does that ISUb loss look bad right now). They're obviously no sure thing and not playing a game in week 12 may hurt them (out of sight, out of mind for the comittee) but considering where they were at just 8 days ago this a stunning turnaround for them.

Northern Iowa (4-5, 3-3)
    Quality wins: @Iowa St
    Bad losses: @USD
    Remaining games: @WIU, SDSU
    The Panthers cruised to an easy victory in Terre Haute behind their 3rd string QB and did what they needed to do to stay alive. However things now get tougher with their final two games against solid playoff contending teams. Next week's game at WIU is huge for both teams but even moreso for UNI because they absolutely cannot afford a loss. If they do win out they'll add two great wins to their Iowa St win and would look pretty good at 6-5. Interestingly they don't play ISUr this year which could make for a pretty interesting comparison between the two teams if they both finish 6-5. I think ISUr's Northwestern win trumps UNI's Iowa St win so not only do they need to win out but they need help inside the MVFC and out of it to make the postseason. Winning out is a tall order though - they have the talent to do it but we will see.

Eliminated

South Dakota (4-5, 3-3) - They're technically not completely dead as if they win out to finish 6-5 they'd have a road win @SDSU and a home win vs NDSU to tout but let's be honest... that ain't happening. Handing SIU their first conference win of the year today was their death knell for 2016.
    Missouri St (4-5, 2-4) - The Bears hung on for longer than most anyone thought they would this year but the clock struck midnight on their playoffs hopes for 2016. They've got something to build on going into next year though.
    Indiana St (4-6, 2-5) - The Sycs are trending in the wrong direction as the season comes down the stretch. How did ISUr lose to this team?
    Southern Illinois (3-6, 1-5) - Well, the Salukis showed today they're still capable of spoiling some playoff dreams. They'll have more chances to do it again with remaining games vs YSU and @WIU.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Re: MVFC Playoff Outlook

Western Illinois beating UNI this Saturday would be big for the Jacks. Then UNI is playing for pride only in the season finale.

Comment

Its unlikely we will get a seed or at least a longshot which means we will be playing Thanksgiving weekend. The Jack men are playing basketball Fri, Sat and Sun of Thanksgiving weekend. If we get a home first round game, do we decide gametime? The basketball game on Saturday is 4:30 so we could play an 11am football game and then drive to SF for a basketball game.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        Its unlikely we will get a seed or at least a longshot which means we will be playing Thanksgiving weekend. The Jack men are playing basketball Fri, Sat and Sun of Thanksgiving weekend. If we get a home first round game, do we decide gametime? The basketball game on Saturday is 4:30 so we could play an 11am football game and then drive to SF for a basketball game.
        I was wondering about that too. Already have tickets for the games in SF. What a great day of SDSU Athletics that could be! Followed by Hairball at Badlands Pawn or I Love the 90's Tour at The Denny. Would love to have my cake and eat it too.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Western Illinois beating UNI this Saturday would be big for the Jacks. Then UNI is playing for pride only in the season finale.
          Was thinking the same thing, it elevates our win against WIU and hopefully crushes UNI's spirit to make it an easier game for us to finish the year on a 3 game winning streak.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            I was wondering about that too. Already have tickets for the games in SF. What a great day of SDSU Athletics that could be! Followed by Hairball at Badlands Pawn or I Love the 90's Tour at The Denny. Would love to have my cake and eat it too.

SUPERBUNNY
            Swing by Hairball and I'll buy you a PBR...or 2. 😃
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              I also have my tickets for the basketball weekend. If it came down to choosing the football playoff game or the basketball game, i would choose the basketball game.

Comment

Standings
                SDSU (6-1) (7-3)
                NDSU (6-1) (9-1)
                YSU (5-2) (7-3)
                UNI (4-3) (5-5)
                ISU-red (4-4) (6-5)
                WIU (3-4) (6-4)
                USD (3-4) (4-6)
                MSU (2-5) (4-6)
                ISU-blue (2-6) (4-7)
                SIU (1-6) (3-7)

So the top 3 are locks to get in. But the three after that are interesting. All three have FBS wins with the Redbirds being the best win. Obviously UNI has to win to have a chance. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Western should beat SIU to go 7-4, but they've only beaten the teams in the lower half of the conference. Is the win against Northern Illinois quality enough to get them in? I think the Redbirds are in. They've heated up and have the Northwestern win. I also think UNI will make it if they win based on past playoff history and the FBS win.

Comment

Bison call out Michigan
                  NDSU Athletics ‏@NDSUathletics 13h13 hours ago NDSU and Michigan both occupied this locker room at Kinnick Stadium this fall. One team walked out with a win...pic.twitter.com/YvuuceRdRR

0 replies 4,646 retweets 6,320 likes

Retweet
                  Retweeted

Liked

More

• Copy link to Tweet
                  • Embed Tweet
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

FCS Gameday ‏@FCS_Gameday 58m58 minutes ago More from WKBN Youngstown possible suspension story leading into semifinal game:pic.twitter.com/fepbJSsmEZ

Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

http://wkbn.com/2016/12/12/sources-y...medium=twitter

Comment

But are these sources reliable?
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          But are these sources reliable?
                          Good question. At least it appears all quarter finalist are subject to drug testing by the NCAA.

Comment

Go James Madison! 7-0 over the Bison. Don't think it's healthy for FCS to have a team win a 6th consecutive championship.

Comment

Aaaaaaand, 10-0 Dukes.
                              Rollin' in my 5.0
                              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Working...
                              X