Best Case Scenario for a seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Case Scenario for a seed

Well we got one in the help department so far. CSU upset by Bucknell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
      Well we got one in the help department so far. CSU upset by Bucknell.

I think it was Gardner-Webb who beat CSU. Big game next week between CSU and Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
        I think it was Gardner-Webb who beat CSU. Big game next week between CSU and Liberty
        Very big. CSU can only make it as a auto bid winner now.

Comment

With the results of today's games so far, I think the following are locks for seeds:

NDSU
          EWU
          Citadel
          JMU
          JSU
          SHSU

As long as that holds true, which it should unless a major collapse happens, we are fighting for 1 of the last 2 seeds. Here are our biggest contenders for those spots imo.

Cal Poly - If they can beat EWU tonight, they would have the inside track on a seed. If not, it would come down to resume, and hopefully our NDSU win is weighed very heavily.

Richmond - After the loss to JMU today, they could be on the seed bubble with us. Again, it will come down to resume.

UND - After they won today, they only have one test left with Northern Arizona. It would really help if they lost that game. If they win, it will again come down to resume.

Chattanooga - We really need them to lose to Wofford next week, which would eliminate them. If they win, they will probably grab 1 of the 2 seeds.

So, if Chattanooga wins, it's 4 teams vying for 1 seed. If they lose, they're vying for 2 seeds. It will be interesting to see what the top 10 shows going forward to see if we creep into the bottom of the list or not.

Our chances of a seed at this point are probably less than 5%. In the case we don't get one, I assume we'll be matched up against either Montana or UND and funneled to Fargo. The committee claims they're going to avoid doing either of those things, but at this point I have little to no faith in them.

Comment

Basically we need to be Northern Arizona and Wofford fans next Saturday. If they beat UND and Chattanooga, we should definitely get a seed imo. If one of them happen, we have a better chance than we do now, with Wofford being more important than Northern Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Basically we need to be Northern Arizona and Wofford fans next Saturday. If they beat UND and Chattanooga, we should definitely get a seed imo. If one of them happen, we have a better chance than we do now, with Wofford being more important than Northern Arizona.
              Assuming we win out. We should be WIU fans this weekend as well. Would much rather be going to Cedar Falls to face a dejected UNI team instead of one fighting for their playoff lives.

Comment

Was going to make a new thread on this but decided against it. What team in the likely playoff field scares you in a matchup for SDSU? Or are you more scared of an off game by the Jacks than the opposition.

Personally there are only a couple teams that I would be really worried about matching up with in the playoffs. EWU, NDSU, The Citadel, and JMU. I think we are legitimately better than the rest of the teams in the country by a pretty decent amount. EWU scares me because our defense doesn't do well against offenses like theirs, same with JMU, NDSU is out of respect for what they do in the playoffs, and The Citadel because they are a great option team that has a better defense than Cal Poly had.

I am much more worried about our team coming out and playing their A game consistently. Part of that is likely because our offensive and defensive leaders are young. I think people confuse my frustration after a game like the ISUr game as negativity about the team instead of how much I personally believe in this team and what they are capable of, which is why I get so frustrated after losing a game we shouldn't have. I will always be more upset about missed opportunities than being beat in a close game to a good team. Our offense has proven that nobody can stop them. Our worst offensive games have had 500+ yards. Our defense has proven they are decent, and that's all they really need to be to be honest. I hate to sound like a Bison fan but there are very few teams out there that could line up and beat the Jacks at their best.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  Was going to make a new thread on this but decided against it. What team in the likely playoff field scares you in a matchup for SDSU? Or are you more scared of an off game by the Jacks than the opposition.

Personally there are only a couple teams that I would be really worried about matching up with in the playoffs. EWU, NDSU, The Citadel, and JMU. I think we are legitimately better than the rest of the teams in the country by a pretty decent amount. EWU scares me because our defense doesn't do well against offenses like theirs, same with JMU, NDSU is out of respect for what they do in the playoffs, and The Citadel because they are a great option team that has a better defense than Cal Poly had.

I am much more worried about our team coming out and playing their A game consistently. Part of that is likely because our offensive and defensive leaders are young. I think people confuse my frustration after a game like the ISUr game as negativity about the team instead of how much I personally believe in this team and what they are capable of, which is why I get so frustrated after losing a game we shouldn't have. I will always be more upset about missed opportunities than being beat in a close game to a good team. Our offense has proven that nobody can stop them. Our worst offensive games have had 500+ yards. Our defense has proven they are decent, and that's all they really need to be to be honest. I hate to sound like a Bison fan but there are very few teams out there that could line up and beat the Jacks at their best.

I was actually thinking about this today and the first two teams that came to mind were EWU and NDSU. Both great teams, especially at home, and proven to be great in the playoffs. I'm more confident with the Jacks taking on pretty much anyone else on the road, but there's a good chance with a deep playoff run the road goes through one of those two schools. I think I'd actually prefer the Jacks to take on a NDSU team again looking for payback than playing on EWU's red field. (It's ugly and hard to see the ball. Also, offense is fantastic.)
                  Rollin' in my 5.0
                  With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                  Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                    I was actually thinking about this today and the first two teams that came to mind were EWU and NDSU. Both great teams, especially at home, and proven to be great in the playoffs. I'm more confident with the Jacks taking on pretty much anyone else on the road, but there's a good chance with a deep playoff run the road goes through one of those two schools. I think I'd actually prefer the Jacks to take on a NDSU team again looking for payback than playing on EWU's red field. (It's ugly and hard to see the ball. Also, offense is fantastic.)
                    I'm actually more worried about injuries in the last two games impacting the playoff run than I am considering possible opponents. Could be selective perception, but UNI has seemed prone to tackling in head/neck area, and I'd hate to lose a player to injury. Admittedly, I haven't watched many USD games, but sometimes rivalry games can get "chippy" too.

In general, I'd prefer the Jacks not face an option team in 1st round, and this is where I identify with thumper's (and others') point regarding the bye's importance, as it gives the team an extra week to develop schemes and heal.

Hopefully the Jacks stay healthy and the weather allows me to make it to a home playoff game.

Comment

I'd like a shot at either of the entries. Personally, I believe the winner of the two, SHSU or UCA gets a seed, other doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        I'd like a shot at either of the Southland entries. Personally, I believe the winner of the two, SHSU or UCA gets a seed, other doesn't.

4 char

Comment

Since I don't pay attention year to year who the seeds are or what the records are, but how often does a 3 loss team make a seed? does it happen consistently or is it pretty rare?
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Since I don't pay attention year to year who the seeds are or what the records are, but how often does a 3 loss team make a seed? does it happen consistently or is it pretty rare?
                            Depends on the year really. It's not an extremely rare event though I don't think.

Comment

Obviously, the Jacks need to win out or all this is moot.

If they do, this could be quite interesting. The Jacks would be Co-MVFC champs with NDSU who we beat (and everyone knows how hard that is to do in Fargo). The MVFC is the undisputed toughest conference in the FCS and it would be awfully hard to not award the conference champs a seed. Yep, we have a couple more losses which will give NDSU the nod.

It still stings how we played at ISU. Such a golden opportunity to have the road to Frisco going through Brookings rather than Fargo. Can't do anything about it now.

1-0 this week against the pups is all we can do!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Committee released this weeks poll. Some shifting at the top.

We need UND to lose to NAU this week, along with a couple others. I'm hesitant to cheer for their loss though, because I feel if we aren't a seed I would rather get sent to UND than Fargo in the second round, and that's the only way we don't go to Fargo. We definitely need some chaos above us and who knows what happens if UCA knocks off SHSU. This does show the rankings are rather fluid though so we need to take care of business this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X