2016 MVFC Playoff Contenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 MVFC Playoff Contenders

STATS has released their latest playoff projections and they currently have five MVFC teams qualifying. The surprise fifth team is USD.

SDSU is the automatic qualifier and NDSU is the #1 seed at this point. Here are the projections:

Western Illinois-North Dakota winner at No. 1 seed North Dakota State
    Eastern Illinois-Villanova winner at No. 8 seed James Madison

Samford-Charleston Southern winner at No. 5 seed The Citadel

South Dakota-Cal Poly winner at No. 4 seed Sam Houston State

San Diego-Montana winner at No. 7 seed South Dakota State

Saint Francis-Youngstown State winner at No. 2 seed Eastern Washington

Central Arkansas-Chattanooga winner at No. 3 seed Jacksonville State

Lehigh-Stony Brook winner at No. 6 seed Richmond

Re: 2016 MVFC Playoff Contenders

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    STATS has released their latest playoff projections and they currently have five MVFC teams qualifying. The surprise fifth team is USD.

SDSU is the automatic qualifier and NDSU is the #1 seed at this point. Here are the projections:

Western Illinois-North Dakota winner at No. 1 seed North Dakota State
    Eastern Illinois-Villanova winner at No. 8 seed James Madison

Samford-Charleston Southern winner at No. 5 seed The Citadel

South Dakota-Cal Poly winner at No. 4 seed Sam Houston State

San Diego-Montana winner at No. 7 seed South Dakota State

Saint Francis-Youngstown State winner at No. 2 seed Eastern Washington

Central Arkansas-Chattanooga winner at No. 3 seed Jacksonville State

Lehigh-Stony Brook winner at No. 6 seed Richmond
    No way can NDSU be seeded above us when the MVFC feels we are the auto qualifier. Can't happen.

Comment

Honestly, a top 4 seed would be amazing to be able to get 2 home games, but if it comes down to a 5-8 seed, I could care less what seed we get as long as our 2nd game doesn't have us heading up to Fargo again. Not that I don't think we can beat them again or that we should be scared of going to Fargo in the playoffs. I'm just so sick and tired of seeing it happen.

Comment

Only 4 mvfc teams will get in, if seeds are to hold for mvfc teams. Only way usd makes playoffs is to win out and tied for title. If that happens, USD will need to beat SDSU and NDSU. If usd gets the w's, Jacks likely not seeded, Bison fall to a 4 to 6 seed. I believe USD is the only team that could possibly wrestle the auto bid from Jacks if Yotes win out. After Sat, we' ll know if UNI is legit if beat NDSU.

Comment

Jacksonville State has beaten no one of any status. Be that as it may, I feel like Cappin does about going through Fargo again.
          Frankly I think beating them there once in a year entitles one to not get to go back. Monkey should be on their back after that game.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Only 4 mvfc teams will get in, if seeds are to hold for mvfc teams. Only way usd makes playoffs is to win out and tied for title. If that happens, USD will need to beat SDSU and NDSU. If usd gets the w's, Jacks likely not seeded, Bison fall to a 4 to 6 seed. I believe USD is the only team that could possibly wrestle the auto bid from Jacks if Yotes win out. After Sat, we' ll know if UNI is legit if beat NDSU.
            I disagree on USD. If they are 7-4, one of those wins will be against SDSU or NDSU, they will be in for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              No way can NDSU be seeded above us when the MVFC feels we are the auto qualifier. Can't happen.
              Not sure if you are being serious but even though SDSU has the head to head win, NDSU has a top 15 FBS win and wins over EWU and CSU as well as only 1 loss in the Valley (assuming they win out along with SDSU). They would have the better overall resume than SDSU imo.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                Not sure if you are being serious but even though SDSU has the head to head win, NDSU has a top 15 FBS win and wins over EWU and CSU as well as only 1 loss in the Valley (assuming they win out along with SDSU). They would have the better overall resume than SDSU imo.
                http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...739#post302739

Not serious. scbison was puffing bison chest about how they got screwed being ranked below ISU last year when NDSU had the MVFC autobid.

Comment

If the Jacks lose one game and NDSU wins out the Jacks would still get the auto-bid (assuming the one loss isn't to USD and they win out). I think in that scenario the 7 seed is a rightful seed. If the Jacks win out, once again getting the auto, not getting a top 3 seed is a flat out screw job. 8-0 in the hands down best top to bottom conference in the country. And my blue and yellow glasses says they should be 1 or 2 in that scenario, thus having all games in Brookings until Texas.

Comment

While its not impossible for the Valley to get 5 teams in, I just don't see them getting 5 teams while also having NDSU and SDSU seeded.
                    USD gets in if they beat either NDSU or SDSU and get to a 7-4 record.

If USD beats SDSU, that gives us 3 losses, which would keep us from a seed.
                    If USD beats NDSU, that gives them 2 losses, which could keep from a seed as well, certainly from the #1 overall anyways.

Now WIU did get in last year with a 6-5 record, so theoretically USD could lose to both SDSU/NDSU and still get in. In that case they best hope that UND and Weber State keep winning, to make those OOC games look better.

Comment

Working...
                    X