2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Season

OK...time for a few facts in this discussion. Softball first, just so another thread isn't needed. Both softball and volleyball get their share of scholarships funded. We have 21 sports, while USD has fewer (I'm not going to go count them...but they have neither baseball or wrestling). Krista Wood has the softball team on the comeback trail (they were just as low as volleyball). Nana Brewer was a total failure with volleyball, and we went in a deep slump. McDaniel did pretty good in trying to get the program back up, but failure to bring in better athletes left us again in a quagmire in his last two years. Cirillo was then hired with the program at complete bottom (0-16) in the conference in his last season. With basically the same players, her first year wasn't good either. This year, there have been a few glimpses of moving ahead just a little. In all fairness, she recruited 6 freshmen players and four of them have not played because of injuries.

Next year will be very important for her. Forget the number of seniors departing, because only a couple have been playing. But next year will probably show whether she can get it back to a midpoint in the conference. Then we can all jump back in again.

Comment

Yikes - just thought I'd check in on how the volleyball team did this year. Last year we won a whopping 4 games in conference, this year...same mark to finish 2nd to last in the Summit League. And 3 of our 4 wins this year came against the bottom 3 teams in the league. I decided to check this out after seeing we lost 2 points in the SD Corn Showdown series due to volleyball. Despite football getting two points for their win last weekend, we still trail the series 4-3. Basketball is going to have to pick up the slack as losing the soccer point for the first time in the D-I era hurt as well!

www.sdcornshowdown.com

Comment

I'm all for giving Coach Cirillo one more year but we have been nothing short of irrelevant since Coach Palileo left in 2008.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but he left for "greener pastures (Pac-10/12)" and Washington State back then. I don't remember if he burned bridges when he left. (I seem to remember some verbals going with him) but I also thought a point of contention was the lack of multi year contracts.

Since leaving Washington State - he was an assistant at Ohio State for a couple of years and I think he had some success again as a head coach at North Texas. Would it be worth a call to have him visit campus? (A LOT has changed since he left -, he might not recognize the joint. He has young kids, I believe. Brookings is a pretty nice place to raise a family). Lastly, Dr. Oien was AD when he left, if memory serves. Could it hurt to bring back a coach that took us to the Tournament for our first D1 post season qualifier (or at least have a conversation)?

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
          I'm all for giving Coach Cirillo one more year but we have been nothing short of irrelevant since Coach Palileo left in 2008.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but he left for "greener pastures (Pac-10/12)" and Washington State back then. I don't remember if he burned bridges when he left. (I seem to remember some verbals going with him) but I also thought a point of contention was the lack of multi year contracts.

Since leaving Washington State - he was an assistant at Ohio State for a couple of years and I think he had some success again as a head coach at North Texas. Would it be worth a call to have him visit campus? (A LOT has changed since he left -, he might not recognize the joint. Hhas young kids, I believe. Brookings is a pretty nice place to raise a family). Lastly, Dr. Oien was AD when he left, if memory serves. Could it hurt to bring back a coach that took us to the Tournament for our first D1 post season qualifier (or at least have a conversation)?
          Two of Cirrilos freshman made all league. Gotta give her time to get some decent recruits.

I think Palileo left us in pretty bad shape and took a vet or two with. I actually think we refused to release a player or two. Good riddance to that guy.

Comment

I'm certainly not saying we should get rid of a coach - I should have made that more clear. I did also notice after I posted that two of her freshmen were on the SL All-Newcomer team. That is a positive sign and certainly can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Two of Cirrilos freshman made all league. Gotta give her time to get some decent recruits.

I think Palileo left us in pretty bad shape and took a vet or two with. I actually think we refused to release a player or two. Good riddance to that guy.
              I think you nailed it. I really don't think we should mess with Palileo again. There are all kinds of coaches out there looking for a new opportunity.

Comment

No reason to start a 2017 thread. This team stinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Absolutely,he set the program back more than he pushed if forward.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Absolutely,he set the program back more than he pushed if forward.
                    Can’t keep blaming him. That is over 10 years ago now and 3 different head coaches.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      Can’t keep blaming him. That is over 10 years ago now and 3 different head coaches.
                      Agreed. Any influence he had on the program is no longer there. Good or bad.

Not sure we need to move on from Cirrillo yet, but she needs to show some progress here soon.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

I'll agree no more influence from Palileo but I'll also say Cirillo deserves another year. The record is terrible and although they lost a ton of matches 3-0 they were in a lot of those sets. Seemed to be quite a few 25-22/23 type sets. Next year is her 5th year, correct? Give her one more season, let her know she's on the bubble though...although she can look at the record and know that.

Comment

EH......,give her some more time,we've been so bad for so long,what's another couple years.But results starting to show up would inspire more confidence in her coaching ability,jus say'n......wink,wink!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            Agreed. Any influence he had on the program is no longer there. Good or bad.

Not sure we need to move on from Cirrillo yet, but she needs to show some progress here soon.
                            No, but we don't have to forgive him for putting the program into such a deep hole to have to climb out of either.Stripped the roster of our best recruits to take with him at his new place of employment...real nice of him...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                              I'll agree no more influence from Palileo but I'll also say Cirillo deserves another year. The record is terrible and although they lost a ton of matches 3-0 they were in a lot of those sets. Seemed to be quite a few 25-22/23 type sets. Next year is her 5th year, correct? Give her one more season, let her know she's on the bubble though...although she can look at the record and know that.
                              It looks like SDSU signed 4 more players (for a total of 6 new players) to play for the program today. We will see how they turn out. I've heard that there were some bad apples in the program before but there was only 1 senior last year. If there is only one bad apple does that spoil the bunch?

I'm just wondering how the recruiting/retaining players is going.
                              2016 roster-
                              There were 5 freshmen- Makenzie Hennen, Ashlynn Smith, Fiona Hardin, Alexandra Morrison and Emily Czapiewska.
                              The only players from that list that are still on the team are Ashlynn and Makenzie. The other 3 players are no longer with the program.

2017 roster-
                              There were 6 freshmen- Kari Brucker, Hanna Jellemsa, Macy Smith, Erin Cutts, Brie-Anna Armstrong and Maddie Fay.
                              The only players from that list that are still on the roster are Maddie and Kari. The other 4 players are no longer on the roster.

I think the roster is updated because it has the 6 new players including the 4 players that were signed today.
                              That is some serious turnover. That means 11 players came to SDSU and only 4 of them MIGHT still be on the team.

I'm not saying SDSU needs a new coach but I hope she gets this worked out soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X