2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Season

Coach McDaniel wasn't a very good coach,didn't we get him from a MVC team.I think he had a losing record from where he came,so it was not like we stole him back so much as they cut loose a losing coach themselves JMO....I remember silently thinking this while he was coaching here.....didn't say anything though,let it work it's own course.Sell pulled the plug on him.....but the program still suffers....don't know if we will ever find the coach who can resurrect the program.If only Kelli Fiegen hadn't got hurt,especially how it happened was really disconcerting,and the timing was horrible,right before Tournament time if I recall.

Comment

Coach went to Drake a program that hadn'the made the MVC tournament for awhile and got them to the tournament, and got that program on track. I think he had a 20 win season while he was there and the MVC is alot tougher that the Summit League.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        How many schools with our budget offer as many sports as we do? Ends up holding us back and makes us fairly mediocre across the board at best outside of a few bright spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I find it a little hard to understand your statement that we are "fairly mediocre" across the board when we have won the Commissioner's cup in the Summit league the last three years in a row, and for the sports not in the Summit have seen football make the playoffs 5 years in a row and the wrestling squad quickly become competitive in the Big XII, perhaps the strongest wrestling conference in the nation. I don't understand the the rankings in equestrian enough to comment on their success. A little unofficial review I did a couple months ago indicated that we have made more combined appearances in the fcs football and men's and women's basketball NCAA tournaments than any other FCS school in the nation over the 8 years we have been eligible. That all seems a little better than "mediocre at best."

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
          Coach McDaniel wasn't a very good coach,didn't we get him from a MVC team.I think he had a losing record from where he came,so it was not like we stole him back so much as they cut loose a losing coach themselves JMO....I remember silently thinking this while he was coaching here.....didn't say anything though,let it work it's own course.Sell pulled the plug on him.....but the program still suffers....don't know if we will ever find the coach who can resurrect the program.If only Kelli Fiegen hadn't got hurt,especially how it happened was really disconcerting,and the timing was horrible,right before Tournament time if I recall.
          McDaniel's return to SDSU apparently did not go well, on that we can all agree. My impression was that he seem to have lost interest or perhaps his relationship with Justin Sell may have gone sour. This could be number of things. Sell hired him since he took over in May 2009 and McDaniel was let go in 2014. Now he has turned up as an assistant at Northern, which seems to be a real step backwards. I dont have much other than the internet to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
            I find it a little hard to understand your statement that we are "fairly mediocre" across the board when we have won the Commissioner's cup in the Summit league the last three years in a row, and for the sports not in the Summit have seen football make the playoffs 5 years in a row and the wrestling squad quickly become competitive in the Big XII, perhaps the strongest wrestling conference in the nation. I don't understand the the rankings in equestrian enough to comment on their success. A little unofficial review I did a couple months ago indicated that we have made more combined appearances in the fcs football and men's and women's basketball NCAA tournaments than any other FCS school in the nation over the 8 years we have been eligible. That all seems a little better than "mediocre at best."
            I dont either but then I disagree with Thumper on a number of issues.
            In terms of budget costs, some of these of what we refer to as minor sports do not cost that much and there will not be much savings by dropping them.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
              Coach went to Drake a program that hadn'the made the MVC tournament for awhile and got them to the tournament, and got that program on track. I think he had a 20 win season while he was there and the MVC is alot tougher that the Summit League.
              Thanks,as the years pass and relying on my memories,my recollection of past events seem to become more conjecture than fact it seems....thanks for setting the record straight,funny how misconceptions remain firmly in place through the years.

Comment

Phil did come here from Drake from the MVC. They had a 7-25 record the season before he went to Drake.
                His records at Drake were-
                2008- 12-20
                2009- 22-12
                2010- 23-11

They made it to the MVC tournament to last two years. If he had those last two years records here, I think we would be fairly happy but he didn't and we need to hope that coach Cirillo can turn things around soon.

Comment

The defection of a large part of a pretty good recruiting class,who followed Coach Palileo to Washington (?) really hurt too,don't forget that.But,it seems there's been enough time that's lapsed since then to say we should have recovered from that,but adding all the misfortunes together,we just can't seem to scratch and claw our way back.Here's hoping coach Nicole Cirillo can do it,not putting any pressure on her or anything.....hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                    That is partially why I was talking about giving Phil one more year. He had 4 years which is a recruiting cycle but he did have 5 seniors and 5 juniors on the team. Could he have made something with his recruits(his last year was just too much)? He would of also had his top 2 players coming back and his 3rd best player coming in. Of course Tiara Gibson transferred out. I don't know if she would of stayed if Phil was here but I think she would of helped coach Cirillo if she stayed.
                    I don't think it's fair to get rid of coaches before 4 years and then you look at the program.
                    Here's what the Argus reported,not good.This is all old stuff,it's all water under the bridge,I don't like dwelling in the past anymore than anyone else does.Coaches come and go,it'll always be that way.Time to look forward,build for the future.

Comment

I assume we don't fund some sports well,too few scholarships given out and probably partial scholarships to boot.There's got to be a reason why we've changed the coaching staff so many times with no real benefit to the volleyball program noted.Can't be just coaching that's lacking.Can't blame anyone if it's just lack of funds that's keeping us from being competative ,the Athletic Department is under budget constraints too I suppose.

Comment

I assume we don't fund some sports well,too few scholarships given out and probably partial scholarships to boot.There's got to be a reason why we've changed the coaching staff so many times with no real benefit to the volleyball program noted.Can't be just coaching that's lacking.Can't blame anyone if it's just lack of funds that's keeping us from being competative ,the Athletic Department is under budget constraints too I suppose.
                        According to the FY2015 report, SDSU volleyball received $495K and USD Volleyball $510K. USD manages to have a successful program. Seems like this level of funding can work.

http://www.sdbor.edu/administrative-...c%20Report.pdf
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          Basketball, football, soccer, baseball, and recently wrestling have been doing very well. XC seems to do pretty decent. A bunch of those sports are going to need more $ to stay competitive. Wrestling has done great because of coach Bono from what I gather, but it's going to cost some good $ to keep him I would think after a while. I could see us becoming a midwestern power with our location in wrestling country and Big XII affiliation, but that will cost $. To keep coaches to get to the level we want to be in basketball will eventually start to approach MVC level and we aren't even close to the $ there. Plus for football it's going to cost more once Stig is gone I would imagine. Plus the cost of FCOA is more with all those sports isn't it? What programs have been consistently winning their conference/making post season runs outside of those? Don't we sponsor close to 20 teams? There's a reason most university's our size don't. The sports that being the most attention to the university by a long shot are football, basketball, and if they make a lucky run to the CWS baseball. I'm not anti any of the sports we offer, but it isn't crazy to say that it could possibly be limiting to us offering as many sports as we do.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            Basketball, football, soccer, baseball, and recently wrestling have been doing very well. XC seems to do pretty decent. A bunch of those sports are going to need more $ to stay competitive. Wrestling has done great because of coach Bono from what I gather, but it's going to cost some good $ to keep him I would think after a while. I could see us becoming a midwestern power with our location in wrestling country and Big XII affiliation, but that will cost $. To keep coaches to get to the level we want to be in basketball will eventually start to approach MVC level and we aren't even close to the $ there. Plus for football it's going to cost more once Stig is gone I would imagine. Plus the cost of FCOA is more with all those sports isn't it? What programs have been consistently winning their conference/making post season runs outside of those? Don't we sponsor close to 20 teams? There's a reason most university's our size don't. The sports that being the most attention to the university by a long shot are football, basketball, and if they make a lucky run to the CWS baseball. I'm not anti any of the sports we offer, but it isn't crazy to say that it could possibly be limiting to us offering as many sports as we do.

Agreed. There is only so much to go around.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              According to the FY2015 report, SDSU volleyball received $495K and USD Volleyball $510K. USD manages to have a successful program. Seems like this level of funding can work.

http://www.sdbor.edu/administrative-...c%20Report.pdf
                              15K should not make that much difference, its about building a desire to win, and that we dont have right now, but if there have been injuries to deal with that might explain why we dont have more wins. Mc Daniel continues to be a mystery in my mind going 0-16 in conference play.

Comment

When you look at the $15,000 difference, you also have to figure in the travel budget. In 2015, both schools traveled to four tournaments hosted by other schools. Travel expenses had to be fairly close on those based on the locations. The biggest difference is that we had one out of conference match against Drake at Frost Arena. USD traveled to Fargo for the Summit League Championships where they played multiple days. I'd expect that when you factor in that trip, our budgets would be real close. USD has just developed a better culture recently and that momentum has translated into a successful program. Unfortunately, we've gone the other way.

Cirillo is only in her second season heading our program. It will definitely take some time to redirect this ship. Quick changes to programs rarely happen like in wrestling with Bono. I hope it doesn't take as long as it did with men's basketball during the transition to D1, but I'm sure Sell will give her plenty of time. I'm just thankful that there is some support and interest based off of this thread. It has shown that Nidaros is funding scholarship money that has found its way to volleyball and we've had 30 posts on volleyball in a couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                                X