2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Season

I just had to check to make sure that we still had volleyball. We haven't had a post about volleyball in over a year. We haven't had a winning season since 2012 and this year's squad is off to a 3-19 start. We do have two conference wins, but we can only draw 400 fans for a match against cross-state rival USD. It wouldn't surprise me if the 19-4 Coyotes may have brought more fans than we did to that home match.

We used to have a good program, even at the D1 level. In 2007, we won the Summit championship and made it to the NCAA Tournament where we lost to Nebraska. Granted, at that time we had a coach who was very good and we've always been in an area where there are many elite high school volleyball players. I want to believe that third year coach Nicole Cirillo just needs time to develop the program. After all, she had success at IUPUI where they won three regular season Summit titles in her five years as associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.

I hate the thought that our program may only exist to support Title IX requirements for equality in collegiate sports. We are Jackrabbit nation and we expect to be competitive for conference championships on a regular basis. Our women's basketball program has set the bar higher than any of our teams, so why can't volleyball even post a winning season since 2012? This is disappointing and I'm hoping it's not because of poor facilities for volleyball. Is our expectation that we need not compete in volleyball because USD needs to win something in the Corny Showdown? (USD currently leads this year's showdown 2-0.)

Any thoughts? Or is this just a waste of forum fodder?

Re: 2016 Season

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    I just had to check to make sure that we still had volleyball. We haven't had a post about volleyball in over a year. We haven't had a winning season since 2012 and this year's squad is off to a 3-19 start. We do have two conference wins, but we can only draw 400 fans for a match against cross-state rival USD. It wouldn't surprise me if the 19-4 Coyotes may have brought more fans than we did to that home match.

We used to have a good program, even at the D1 level. In 2007, we won the Summit championship and made it to the NCAA Tournament where we lost to Nebraska. Granted, at that time we had a coach who was very good and we've always been in an area where there are many elite high school volleyball players. I want to believe that third year coach Nicole Cirillo just needs time to develop the program. After all, she had success at IUPUI where they won three regular season Summit titles in her five years as associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.

I hate the thought that our program may only exist to support Title IX requirements for equality in collegiate sports. We are Jackrabbit nation and we expect to be competitive for conference championships on a regular basis. Our women's basketball program has set the bar higher than any of our teams, so why can't volleyball even post a winning season since 2012? This is disappointing and I'm hoping it's not because of poor facilities for volleyball. Is our expectation that we need not compete in volleyball because USD needs to win something in the Corny Showdown? (USD currently leads this year's showdown 2-0.)

I think this is a tough spot. I'm not so sure that we don't have too many sports? I don't believe it is realistic to be able to fully fund and be competitive in everything. Most schools are really only known for 1. When you think of Alabama - football ,Duke-basketball , I know these are bigger fish than we are but you get my point. IMO schools try an load up in a certain sport to hang their hat on. I think it also gets tougher in the non revenue sports. There is only so much $ and resources to go around?

Comment

Do they even have scholarships for volleyball? Are they just pretending to be a D1 program. By program I mean all sports that are offered. How many schools have top level programs in all sports, not many. It's all about what the school takes serious.
      I have no answers, just stating the obvious. They've been good at baseball, soccer, wrestling, OK at others. Volleyball and softball seem to be the ones that are down now, maybe that will change. All in all, they have been competitive in most.

Comment

I get the lack of revenue to support so many sports, but this is embarrassing!

USD has to be in a tougher situation with revenue yet both their women's basketball and volleyball are competing for conference championships each year. Outside of student fees, their revenue has to pale in comparison to ours. Yes, we do have more women's sports than they do. I also have to believe that the cost difference between supporting a competitive team and just having one is not a major difference in funding. You still have to pay scholarships and traveling expenses. The difference in money spent on coaching could be different, but would it really make that much of a difference? The Press & Dakotan did a study a few years ago comparing head coach salaries and at that time (2012), SDSU spent $4,500 more than USD. Travel expenses for recruiting can add up, but the Midwest is a hotbed for recruiting volleyball players. I believe you can find all the talent you need from within 250 miles of Brookings.

The Midwest is loaded with quality collegiate volleyball teams. Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are all elite D1 programs. At the DII level, the Midwest regional tournament is often more challenging than the national tournament as teams from this area often win the DII national championship. I have my doubts that we'd even be competitive at that level right now. After spending Saturday afternoon on campus, I can see why so many kids are choosing to make SDSU their home for collegiate sports and studies. This place is amazing! Our volleyball is not.

Comment

I want to believe that third year coach Nicole Cirillo just needs time to develop the program. After all, she had success at IUPUI where they won three regular season Summit titles in her five years as associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.
          You have said it right there.

I think that guy from Hiawaii departure was the start of things going south. His assistant did not seem to have his heart in it. Plus about that time we had a change in AD's. Sells has made some good hires such as the one for softball, that lady from Wayne St and played softball at UNO,that took over that program and she does not expect to lose. How do I know? I sat by her at an endowment banquet. I am disappointed that this year's record is not better, but there might be reasons for being 3-19. I haven't looked at the scores, but they might have lost a few close ones.

I dont think we have too many sports. I used to think that, but I am sure someone has set up a volleyball only scholarship and that alone makes it tough to drop that or any other sport. There are for a fact golf and tennis scholarships and dropping either sport will piss off some very loyal fans.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
            Do they even have scholarships for volleyball? Are they just pretending to be a D1 program. By program I mean all sports that are offered. How many schools have top level programs in all sports, not many. It's all about what the school takes serious.
            I have no answers, just stating the obvious. They've been good at baseball, soccer, wrestling, OK at others. Volleyball and softball seem to be the ones that are down now, maybe that will change. All in all, they have been competitive in most.
            Yes I had a volleyball athlete receive my scholarship last year. I set my scholarship up to be used for any sport and football players got it since 1992, then Dione Parks got it 2014 and 2015, Carley Gervig received it. My scholarship is only partial and Ms. Gervig received about $1,100. This year a equestrian athlete received it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Yes I had a volleyball athlete receive my scholarship last year. I set my scholarship up to be used for any sport and football players got it since 1992, then Dione Parks got it 2014 and 2015, Carley Gervig received it. My scholarship is only partial and Ms. Gervig received about $1,100. This year a equestrian athlete received it.
              You are a good man Nidaros,true to your beliefs.Thanks for giving to help others.

Comment

I think we should give coach Cirillo more time but just because she had success at IUPUI doesn't mean a ton to me. When Phil McDanial was the assistant under Andrew Palilao we won the conference and played Nebraska in the NCAA Tournament. Phil was the associate head coach and recruiting coordinator at SDSU. I think Phil left SDSU about one month before Andrew took the job at Washington State(why he didn't let Phil know he was leaving is beyond me). Phil went to Drake and had successful team there. According to the Argus Leader, "He turned around the Drake program in no time". He left there to come back here. He struggled back here. I think his last two years at SDSU he only had about 2 seniors on the team. He was here long enough to spread out his scholarships but didn't/couldn't. Last year, coach Cirillo had 5 seniors on the team. This year she has another 5(or so) seniors. Hopefully the young players she is brining in are good and fit her system because we will be much younger for the next two years. She has talked about injuries a lot on the Sports Show. I don't know how beat up we are. She wanted to redshirt two (I think) of the 5 freshman but I think only 2 have been playing. So next year, she will be brining in about 8 players with no college experience(unless she brings in some juco's).
                I don't know if Phil should of got one more year because his last year was dreadful. His record of 6-27 and 0-16 are as bad as you can get. He did have 10 junior/seniors on the team for the next year though.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  I think we should give coach Cirillo more time but just because she had success at IUPUI doesn't mean a ton to me. When Phil McDanial was the assistant under Andrew Palilao we won the conference and played Nebraska in the NCAA Tournament. Phil was the associate head coach and recruiting coordinator at SDSU. I think Phil left SDSU about one month before Andrew took the job at Washington State(why he didn't let Phil know he was leaving is beyond me). Phil went to Drake and had successful team there. According to the Argus Leader, "He turned around the Drake program in no time". He left there to come back here. He struggled back here. I think his last two years at SDSU he only had about 2 seniors on the team. He was here long enough to spread out his scholarships but didn't/couldn't. Last year, coach Cirillo had 5 seniors on the team. This year she has another 5(or so) seniors. Hopefully the young players she is brining in are good and fit her system because we will be much younger for the next two years. She has talked about injuries a lot on the Sports Show. I don't know how beat up we are. She wanted to redshirt two (I think) of the 5 freshman but I think only 2 have been playing. So next year, she will be brining in about 8 players with no college experience(unless she brings in some juco's).
                  I don't know if Phil should of got one more year because his last year was dreadful. His record of 6-27 and 0-16 are as bad as you can get. He did have 10 junior/seniors on the team for the next year though.
                  Agree we have to give Cirillo some time to be successful. This is her 2nd year right?

I think one of the worst things about sports this day and age is expecting things to turnaround instantly. Look at the NFL and college football. How many coaches get 2-3 years? It's simply not realistic.

If in year 4 we are still winning 2-3 games a year....it might be time to take a good hard look.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Agree we have to give Cirillo some time to be successful. This is her 2nd year right?

I think one of the worst things about sports this day and age is expecting things to turnaround instantly. Look at the NFL and college football. How many coaches get 2-3 years? It's simply not realistic.

If in year 4 we are still winning 2-3 games a year....it might be time to take a good hard look.
                    That is partially why I was talking about giving Phil one more year. He had 4 years which is a recruiting cycle but he did have 5 seniors and 5 juniors on the team. Could he have made something with his recruits(his last year was just too much)? He would of also had his top 2 players coming back and his 3rd best player coming in. Of course Tiara Gibson transferred out. I don't know if she would of stayed if Phil was here but I think she would of helped coach Cirillo if she stayed.
                    I don't think it's fair to get rid of coaches before 4 years and then you look at the program.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      This was an excellent review. When you have coaching changes that do not move the program in a positive direction, this is what happens. I was very over simplified in my details. Seems like there was a coach in between Coach Palileo and the return of Phil Baker. My appraisal of him was probably not correct. At any rate, we need to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        This was an excellent review. When you have coaching changes that do not move the program in a positive direction, this is what happens. I was very over simplified in my details. Seems like there was a coach in between Coach Palileo and the return of Phil Baker. My appraisal of him was probably not correct. At any rate, we need to move forward.
                        Nana bahama Allison Brewer was in between Coach Pallileo and Coach McDaniel which is where the program began to falter. I believe there was some recruiting mistakes and internal problems. It will take a bit to get through this, but I would expect Coach Cirillo to have it worked out within the next 2 years if she can keep everyone healthy.

Comment

Oh yeah Brewer. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
                            Nana bahama Allison Brewer was in between Coach Pallileo and Coach McDaniel which is where the program began to falter. I believe there was some recruiting mistakes and internal problems. It will take a bit to get through this, but I would expect Coach Cirillo to have it worked out within the next 2 years if she can keep everyone healthy.
                            Boy, I wouldn't be for two more years. If you're posting a 3-19 record in year three you are showing zero improvement. And we do offer too many sports IMHO. How many schools with our budget offer as many sports as we do? Ends up holding us back and makes us fairly mediocre across the board at best outside of a few bright spots. With growing in other sports like we are, we're going to need to be able to fund them appropriately if we want to stay competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

It's a lot harder to raise a program up from the dead than it is to take a program over that's had some success.The volleyball team for the Jacks has been pretty awful for a long time,hard to get recruits to believe it's all going to change with just a new coaching staff.It's going to take an exceptional recruiting class to turn it around and the odds are not in our favor for that to happen anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X