GDT: Hobo Day 2016 SDSU vs YSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Hobo Day 2016 SDSU vs YSU

The reviews that Bo called for reminded me of a game way back. I told the person sitting next to me about the 1956 game when SDSU was defeated by Augustana for the first time in history. Augie, had hired Bob Burns, the successful coach at Washington High, and just at the end of the first half Bob started arguing with the refs and he argued and argued. Meanwhile the Jacks retreated to the dressing room in the Barn across the then street from Old State Field. Finally the refs gave in and have no idea why they did, but both teams returned to the field for one more play as he had argued that the timer ran the clock when he should not have. I thought Saturday if they at that time they had cameras and footage to review, that would have settled it in a hurry. So all these reviews are good things to have in these modern times.

Oh yes this game was the first time, I had seen on-side kicks, and guess who used them to win 21-20? The Augie Doggies.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-25-2016, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      The reviews that Bo called for reminded me of a game way back. I told the person sitting next to me about the 1956 game when SDSU was defeated by Augustana for the first time in history. Augie, had hired Bob Burns, the successful coach at Washington High, and just at the end of the first half Bob started arguing with the refs and he argued and argued. Meanwhile the Jacks retreated to the dressing room in the Barn across the then street from Old State Field. Finally the refs gave in and have no idea why they did, but both teams returned to the field for one more play as he had argued that the timer ran the clock when he should not have. I thought Saturday if they at that time they had cameras and footage to review, that would have settled it in a hurry. So all these reviews are good things to have in these modern times.

Oh yes this game was the first time, I had seen on-side kicks, and guess who used them to win 21-20? The Augie Doggies.
      I coach HS Football and in our playoff game last night, the opposing QB fumbled the ball as he was passing. The ball was knocked out before the QB released it with a throwing motion, and on our sideline we have a video replay system for us coaches, and the replay clearly showed that it was a fumble. Meanwhile, the other coach argued for several minutes with the refs that it was an incomplete pass, and even called a timeout so that he could stay on the field to argue longer. Times like that I really want to run out on the field with my iPad and just say look here.. pretty obvious fumble.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
        I coach HS Football and in our playoff game last night, the opposing QB fumbled the ball as he was passing. The ball was knocked out before the QB released it with a throwing motion, and on our sideline we have a video replay system for us coaches, and the replay clearly showed that it was a fumble. Meanwhile, the other coach argued for several minutes with the refs that it was an incomplete pass, and even called a timeout so that he could stay on the field to argue longer. Times like that I really want to run out on the field with my iPad and just say look here.. pretty obvious fumble.
        Was this one play a game decider? If it was, the other coach has his conscience to deal with if he goes all the way to the finals and wins. Its one thing to argue a point if the call was not correct, but to overturn the referees based on argument when the coach is knows he is wrong then he should not be in coaching. Its about winning and losing. Losing can be a very good lesson some times for young high school kids and all of us adults.
        In Bob Burns defense, his team may have been in the red zone, I can not recall nor do I have a news paper clipping. How they determined if he was correct is also beyond me. If there was game film going on, it was on 35mm camera and would not be available for a replay. Times have changed and we have good technology that often resolves these issues. I hope you won and good luck in your next game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Was this one play a game decider? If it was, the other coach has his conscience to deal with if he goes all the way to the finals and wins. Its one thing to argue a point if the call was not correct, but to overturn the referees based on argument when the coach is knows he is wrong then he should not be in coaching.
          No, they were down by I believe 28 points at that point in the game, and it was midway through the 4th qtr.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
            No, they were down by I believe 28 points at that point in the game, and it was midway through the 4th qtr.
            The guy is stupid or about to be fired. I hope he is good at teaching.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 10-26-2016, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X