USD raising student activity fees to pay for athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD raising student activity fees to pay for athletics

Student Activity fees at USD are going up by nearly $10 a credit in which 80% will go towards athletics. WTF are they doing? Pays for cost of attendance and facility upgrades. This is a disaster! They should not be D1
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Re: USD raising student activity fees to pay for athletics

They were quick to announce cost of attendance, but they can't afford it. They are harmful to D1 athletics. Incompetence reigns supreme in Vermillion. A real shame.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...5ab9f4e14.html

This is problematic. Where is Stu Whitney?
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Where are the student voices in all of this? Have they just rolled over?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
        Where are the student voices in all of this? Have they just rolled over?
        Students are dumb. Students worry about drinking at tailgate, their birthright with college admission. Students don't care about this:

Why would they care about $10? Take out a bigger loan (that well never goes dry) or mom and dad write a bigger check. It has zero real (immediate) impact on students or their lifestyle. The people who should be looking out for students don't actually give a rip.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
          Where are the student voices in all of this? Have the just rolled over?
          Apparently, this an ongoing cost of education in that it's not a not a one time cost like the $15 dollar assessment for Stadium for State that was voted down three times. What is different then and now was the tag of married student stuck out. They had their own housing area on campus called the barracks. Living in a neighborhood, they had common concerns and voted as a block and they were responsble for the later to come port a potties. Now days students seemed to focus on individual goals. They don't seem to organize as a group. This makes it easier for the admin to make these moves. See The College on the Hill page 151-159.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 10-19-2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I think students are pretty quick to gloss over $10 per credit hour.

They don't think of doing the math that it actually costs $300+ a year for them, or $1280+ over the course of their college careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              Yeah, I think students are pretty quick to gloss over $10 per credit hour.

They don't think of doing the math that it actually costs $300+ a year for them, or $1280+ over the course of their college careers.
              And probably $4000+ by the time they pay off the loan!
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Thank goodness student loans were not a big part of finance of education back in the early 1960's. It was handled much different. Dad and mom and their local bank were involved. There were tighter reins back then and local bank expected repayment sooner. I don't know how works now. I believe fed loan guarantees are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  Students are dumb. Students worry about drinking at tailgate, their birthright with college admission. Students don't care about this:

Why would they care about $10? Take out a bigger loan (that well never goes dry) or mom and dad write a bigger check. It has zero real (immediate) impact on students or their lifestyle. The people who should be looking out for students don't actually give a rip.
                  Hoping I don't lead to a political debate on here, but if this election year has taught us anything it's that students do care about this. There's a reason why it has become a topic in this presidential election; because students do care about what they are spending. They don't necessarily want free college, but do see how the price of it has drastically changed over time and makes it harder after they leave. There's more to life than drinking.
                  Rollin' in my 5.0
                  With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                  Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                    Hoping I don't lead to a political debate on here, but if this election year has taught us anything it's that students do care about this. There's a reason why it has become a topic in this presidential election; because students do care about what they are spending. They don't necessarily want free college, but do see how the price of it has drastically changed over time and makes it harder after they leave. There's more to life than drinking.
                    Thank you. I would hope the USD students do respond to this issue.

Comment

My time at sdsu seemed like there were some general attitudes depending what the increase they were asking for. like for the wellness center, that good pretty good student support. Or things that enhance a students time on campus seemed to go over better when discussing fee increases. Other raises had a lot more resistance. Also some where against fee or increases in anyway what so ever, and finally some who just didn't really care because it wasn't that big of a deal to them. Just sort of how it was so they didn't really support or raise a stink about fees etc.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        Student Activity fees at USD are going up by nearly $10 a credit in which 80% will go towards athletics. WTF are they doing? Pays for cost of attendance and facility upgrades. This is a disaster! They should not be D1
                        First I've heard of it. Source?

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
                          First I've heard of it. Source?
                          Post #2 in this thread.

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          They were quick to announce cost of attendance, but they can't afford it. They are harmful to D1 athletics. Incompetence reigns supreme in Vermillion. A real shame.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...5ab9f4e14.html

This is problematic. Where is Stu Whitney?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Post #2 in this thread.
                            Not sure how I missed that!

Could also have something to do with the federal labor laws and newly required overtime pay? Just thinking out loud.

Comment

From the article, I understand this request from USD is an expedite request on the increase they sought last year. They originally planned to increase over a three year period. Since the legislature voted to freeze tuition rates last/this year, they need all of it next year to balance the budget - the missing 1/3 for this year, and the previously expected 2/3 for next.

Comment

Working...
                              X