USD raising student activity fees to pay for athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD raising student activity fees to pay for athletics

No doubt the student fees are an important part of financing a quality education. I just wish more people would dig into all of the costs. Student fees at state schools:

USD $55.63
    Mines $48.80
    SDSU $43.87
    BHSU $43.80
    DSU $38.75
    NSU $36.10

I'm glad we are leading by not leading in this category!

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
      Not sure how I missed that!

Could also have something to do with the federal labor laws and newly required overtime pay? Just thinking out loud.
      Or FCOA. Also just thinking out loud.

Comment

It's for COA. Students paying for athletes to attend school. They were quick and pompous about announcing their plan to pay COA. Every student has to pay $300 more a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          It's for COA. Students paying for athletes to attend school. They were quick and pompous about announcing their plan to pay COA. Every student has to pay $300 more a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I don't have dog in this fight, but I am thinking COA should come out of the ticket revenue instead of student fees. The athletes generate the ticket revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I don't have dog in this fight, but I am thinking COA should come out of the ticket revenue instead of student fees. The athletes generate the ticket revenue.
            Why take money out of their own pockets when they have a revenue source that seems to be willing to just write them a check.

Anybody do the math on what the ticket prices would have to be to garner the same amount? I'm too lazy to do the math this morning.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              Why take money out of their own pockets when they have a revenue source that seems to be willing to just write them a check.

Anybody do the math on what the ticket prices would have to be to garner the same amount? I'm too lazy to do the math this morning.
              I guess I took too many cost accounting courses, its just that COA would be a product cost of the given activity. Football i.e. I just dont see why the other students should pay for beer money for some football player, when the reason he is on campus is to score points on Saturday and fill the stadium. Believe me I can recall some conversations about athletes getting all the breaks over 50 years ago. These arguments were often based on emotion and often false they were uttered a great deal.

COA is a product cost of having football on campus for all to enjoy. Some poor chemistry major should not be stuck paying this stuff any more than athletes having to pay chem. lab breakage. COA is a cost of producing the product, namely football theoretically, but in the USD world where students seem indifferent to the increase well I agree its a revenue source who seems to be willing to write a check.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

So last year there were the numbers:

SDM&T - $48.80
                USD - $46.33
                SDSU - $40.07
                BHSU - $39.80
                DSU - $38.75
                NSU - $30.10

Comment

Having a hard time how to express my thoughts on this subject. 1) When SDSU went D-1, the Board of Regents, included in their approval that student fees should not be increased to aid the move for athletics. 2) Blame the USD students (and the Regents by inference) in that the USD administration went to the students expressing the need for additional funding for athletics, and the students voted for a three-year raise at $4.50 a year. 3) When COA was announced by USD, and some wondered how they could afford it...a very knowledgeable USD supporter indicated to me that they had a 3-year increase in the bag to pay for it. 4) The plan hit a small snag when the legislative action blocked the second-year raise, so now USD will get two-years worth for next year. SDSU's request, similar to a raise in fees several years ago, was for the Union...not for athletics. Final question: how did the Board of Regents allow the athletic increase (80% of fee apparently) given the background of the D-1 move?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Having a hard time how to express my thoughts on this subject. 1) When SDSU went D-1, the Board of Regents, included in their approval that student fees should not be increased to aid the move for athletics. 2) Blame the USD students (and the Regents by inference) in that the USD administration went to the students expressing the need for additional funding for athletics, and the students voted for a three-year raise at $4.50 a year. 3) When COA was announced by USD, and some wondered how they could afford it...a very knowledgeable USD supporter indicated to me that they had a 3-year increase in the bag to pay for it. 4) The plan hit a small snag when the legislative action blocked the second-year raise, so now USD will get two-years worth for next year. SDSU's request, similar to a raise in fees several years ago, was for the Union...not for athletics. Final question: how did the Board of Regents allow the athletic increase (80% of fee apparently) given the background of the D-1 move?
                    Because the board at the time of our move was comprised primarily of USD grads. and there is nobody in the state Legislature willing to hold the current BOR accountable for actions such as this. The BOR now just kind of does what they want and then asks for forgiveness and its pretty much driven by what USeD wants. Sometimes SDSU benefits See 3 year contracts. We if we're upset need to contact our local Rep's and let them know how outrageous this is!

Comment

Agreed slosho...I just wanted to point out how outrageous this is. Unfortunately, complaining is all one can do...too late now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        Agreed slosho...I just wanted to point out how outrageous this is. Unfortunately, complaining is all one can do...too late now.
                        I know, I'm Just not that PC, and I don't care. WE students Raised our own Fees to cover the cost of building the new Wellness Center, and Royally Pissed off T Tad Perry and others (he came up and told El Presidente and myself as much t the regents meeting at DSU). Thankfully we had Governor Rounds as an end around (he essentially told them they would allow what we petitioned our own student body for. or else) that combined with Peggy Miller.

Comment

The newest Regents have no institutional memory of what happened during our transition. That includes the SDSU alums now on the board. They, the new Regents, depend on the likes of USD alum and Northern State cheerleader Harvey Jewett for guidance. And, they defer to President Abbott's judgment on this deal. Thus, the end result is not a surprise.

Comment

Jewett was on the board at that time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

USD athletics are a mess.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                USD athletics are a mess.
                                Yes they are. Jewett is a USD alum and was the ring leader in adopting the policy that Jack#1 was referring too, the one that they all quickly forgot once USD decided to follow suit and go D1. I glad I never enrolled at USD, though I had inclinations. Enrolling on line I suppose does not exempt one from the activity fees.

Comment

Working...
                                X