Marker Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Marker Week

A lot has been said about how NDSU has a winning culture and how they believe they are going to win every game before the step onto the field. I couldn't agree more. Every program in the country is trying to instill that feeling and culture into their program. I also think that will be the difference in the game this year. Not the belief the Bison have in their team, but the belief in some key players on our team this year.

Last year's game was over after the first series. I think Lujan has had a great career, is still very important to the team, and has done more than anyone ever expected when he transferred to the program. That being said, he was a deer in the headlights in the NDSU game last year after the first series. It's hard to explain but there are certain times in certain games where one bad thing happens early on in a game that just sabotages the game from that point on. Every player on the field can feel it and it has a huge negative mental impact that is almost impossible to overcome. I have played in a few of those games. You feel like you are fighting both the other team and an emotional cloud all at the same time. It permeates everything and everyone and you usually get your butts kicked. That was our game against NDSU last year after Lujan was almost killed. The O-line looked like swiss cheese, our (really good) defense looked lost and overmatched. It was ugly.

Moving ahead to this season, I don't see that happening with TC at QB. That kid has a confidence that is amazing. I hate to use a tired phrase, but he's a winner. Unless he is physically knocked out of the game, I don't think his confidence will ever be shaken in this game (or season). He's the type of player his teammates rally around. We may not win on Saturday, but it won't be because the team looks mentally beaten.

As for my "X's & O's" thoughts, I think this year's team is a much different offensive team than last year's team. (I know I'm not exactly pointing out anything new with that brilliant analysis.) The difference though is why we lost last years game and why we shouldn't be so easy to stop this year. Last year's team wanted to be a run team first who only chucked it up to Wieneke on 3rd and long or on the occasional 1st down to help loosen up the run game. NDSU took away both the run and Wieneke right away and we were done. This year's team is clearly a pass-first team. And, we have a weapon with Goedert who presents a tougher matchup than even Wieneke does to most teams. TE's are usually being covered by Linebackers and Safeties. He's faster than most LB's and bigger than all DB's. And, he's a blitz killer. When NDSU blitzes, they'll have to put a LB on Goedert and that's a mismatch. TC is quick enough to get that pass off, whereas Lujan wasn't last year. If Goedert gashes them for a couple big plays after a blitz, NDSU will have no option but to go back to more of a zone look. (See: New England Patriots & how they use their TE's as a defacto running game) More than anyone on the team, if he has a big game, we win this game.

One last obvious observation (and bonus prediction). Our D-line is still really good. They have been getting heat because they haven't done much this year, but I think that is mainly due to matchup problems more than poor play. TCU, Cal Poly and SIU all played a style of ball that doesn't lend itself to D-Tackles making key plays by clogging up the line of scrimmage. Most of Cal Poly's big runs were on the outside. I've watched bits of NDSU's first 2 games and most of their game against Iowa. They beat Iowa with power football between the tackles. That is the type of football our D-line was built for. I predict this is the game where they shine. Our big studs in the middle are still studs. I don't think NDSU will be able to win by overpowering our D-line. Now, if they start throwing some bubble screens or throw in the occasional option look....

Jacks 38
    NDSU 31
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
      We have a weapon with Goedert who presents a tougher matchup than even Wieneke does to most teams. TE's are usually being covered by Linebackers and Safeties. He's faster than most LB's and bigger than all DB's. And, he's a blitz killer. When NDSU blitzes, they'll have to put a LB on Goedert and that's a mismatch. TC is quick enough to get that pass off, whereas Lujan wasn't last year. If Goedert gashes them for a couple big plays after a blitz, NDSU will have no option but to go back to more of a zone look. (See: New England Patriots & how they use their TE's as a defacto running game) More than anyone on the team, if he has a big game, we win this game.
      Offensively, I'm hanging my hopes on this situation. Add to it the fact that NDSU is playing without their all-star linebacker and there's a chance that Goedert's presence can help buy TC time to throw. Give him three or four seconds and Weineke will do some damage. A couple of well-executed screens wouldn't hurt either...

Defensively, we flat-out need our front 7 to play their best game of the year.

Comment

Moving ahead to this season, I don't see that happening with TC at QB. That kid has a confidence that is amazing. I hate to use a tired phrase, but he's a winner. Unless he is physically knocked out of the game, I don't think his confidence will ever be shaken in this game (or season). He's the type of player his teammates rally around. We may not win on Saturday, but it won't be because the team looks mentally beaten.

As for my "X's & O's" thoughts, I think this year's team is a much different offensive team than last year's team. (I know I'm not exactly pointing out anything new with that brilliant analysis.) The difference though is why we lost last years game and why we shouldn't be so easy to stop this year. Last year's team wanted to be a run team first who only chucked it up to Wieneke on 3rd and long or on the occasional 1st down to help loosen up the run game. NDSU took away both the run and Wieneke right away and we were done. This year's team is clearly a pass-first team. And, we have a weapon with Goedert who presents a tougher matchup than even Wieneke does to most teams. TE's are usually being covered by Linebackers and Safeties. He's faster than most LB's and bigger than all DB's. And, he's a blitz killer. When NDSU blitzes, they'll have to put a LB on Goedert and that's a mismatch. TC is quick enough to get that pass off, whereas Lujan wasn't last year. If Goedert gashes them for a couple big plays after a blitz, NDSU will have no option but to go back to more of a zone look. (See: New England Patriots & how they use their TE's as a defacto running game) More than anyone on the team, if he has a big game, we win this game.
        I think your whole post is spot on. I also think our offense has been looking at how the Patriots use Gronk and stealing some of that for using Goedert. I agree 100% that TC is a big difference for us going into this game. He will be able to extend plays where the rush does start to get through and should be able to make them pay a couple times. Some NDSU posters think they will be able to just line up their lb Stumpf in Goedert and that'll work to stop him. I personally highly doubt that. I've seen plays where he outruns cbs and safteys, let alone a linebacker. NDSU will have to pick their poison on who to focus on. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to switch who they are taking away every play to try to confuse TC.

I also agree that there is a calm confidence around TC that will have a crucial impact on the team mentally. He's really hard to rattle and seems to have the confidence that we're going to win, because that's what's suppose to happen. He played a huge part in us even being in the game against Poly when they were sending the house quite a bit and did a great job of making them pay for selling out. The bigger key is if we can give him good time when they just send four guys at us. If we can do that, we are going to be in business. If TC is getting chased everywhere by a rush of only four it's going to be a long day. Just looking at the line themselves, that "holding" that took away Wienekes TD against WIU is a great sign to me that this year the line has some of that nasty mental edge they need in a game like this. I'm getting more excited for this game by the day. Should be a fun one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          Defensively, we flat-out need our front 7 to play their best game of the year.
          2nd best. We need them to play their best in Frisco.

Comment

Just a little insight to how the Jacks are preparing for this Saturday. Personally, I think it's a great idea!

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...153536?lang=en
            Rollin' in my 5.0
            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

we have a weapon with Goedert who presents a tougher matchup than even Wieneke does to most teams. TE's are usually being covered by Linebackers and Safeties. He's faster than most LB's and bigger than all DB's. And, he's a blitz killer. When NDSU blitzes, they'll have to put a LB on Goedert and that's a mismatch. TC is quick enough to get that pass off, whereas Lujan wasn't last year. If Goedert gashes them for a couple big plays after a blitz, NDSU will have no option but to go back to more of a zone look. (See: New England Patriots & how they use their TE's as a defacto running game) More than anyone on the team, if he has a big game, we win this game.
              Some of you can only imagine how happy I am that we have a TE like Goedert that is a game changer. More often than not a position that is overlooked in terms of the value it can bring to an offense. Honestly, it has been 18 years (Heiden) since we've had a TE of this caliber AND utilized him correctly. Eidsness must have dug into the way back machine over the summer to remember how to use a player like Goedert. Seam routes, corner routes, pound the middle on the linebackers in the passing game with Goedert then watch Wieneke light 'me up deep.

Have to hope the Bison don't get a big play (offensively or a turnover) early and take SDSU out mentally. If TC can be effective with early passes, the run game will open up, which will make the pass game even more effective late.

No prediction here. Just use the right weapons and get some stops (and a TO or two on defense).

Go Jacks!
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Sucks to see that Dallas Brown will miss this game and possibly more. Our defense is light on experience and talent the way it is. Without him things could get ugly when trying to stop their offense.

Comment

This is the Jack's year. NDSU secondary can't contain our 2 headed monster. SDSU 45 NDSU 31

Comment

I'd love to see a new wrinkle or two that we haven't put on tape this year. The jet sweep to Goedert last week was a good example of this, but I'd like to see something new and different this week as well.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Anyone in the Omaha area know if there is a place to watch the game? I know Nubby kicks off at 2:30 as well so I am guessing this is a shot in the dark.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        Anyone in the Omaha area know if there is a place to watch the game? I know Nubby kicks off at 2:30 as well so I am guessing this is a shot in the dark.

Have you thought about tweeting at Dan Jackson, he may have idea.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          I'd love to see a new wrinkle or two that we haven't put on tape this year. The jet sweep to Goedert last week was a good example of this, but I'd like to see something new and different this week as well.
                          SIU ran a slick 2-point conversion play last week. They lined up like they were kicking a routine extra point, but the holder flipped the ball to the kicker who ran untouched up the middle for 2 points. Vinatiari has the athletic ability to do something like that.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

New metallic blue and white rabbits on the helmets this week. This was just posted on Facebook.

white_rabbit.jpg

Thoughts?
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              New metallic blue and white rabbits on the helmets this week. This was just posted on Facebook.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]838[/ATTACH]

Thoughts?
                              Don't care for them. Even though I am more traditional when it comes to uniforms I liked the change with the logo and numbers on the helmet but the yellow looked good. The blue looks too much boise state to me.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Don't care for them. Even though I am more traditional when it comes to uniforms I liked the change with the logo and numbers on the helmet but the yellow looked good. The blue looks too much boise state to me.
                                With decals, they are removal. More modern stuff��

Comment

Working...
                                X