No announcement yet.

Is Goedert or Weineike the New Zenner??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Goedert or Weineike the New Zenner??

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    To help future graduates, the N.D. Board of Higher Education should a phrase to the back of NDSU diplomas in big, dark letters: WILL WORK FOR FOOD.
    Ima thinkin U wear trying to make fun of my spell of a last name.

Comment

I'll throw a small wet towel on all the good fun: When it comes to spelling names, the usual rules (e.g. i before e....) are out the window. A more reliable guide -- but certainly not a binding rule -- is that for names tracing back to German and much of middle Europe, when "e" and "i" are side-by-side, "e" is commonly placed ahead of "i". But, repeating for emphasis: the rules when spelling names are out the window. I am familiar with two guys whose fathers are first cousins. They have a name that is of German extraction. One family spells it "ei" and the other spells it "ie". Go figure.

A few weeks ago, the film "Fargo" was on TV. Some would claim that is a documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I'll throw a small wet towel on all the good fun: When it comes to spelling names, the usual rules (e.g. i before e....) are out the window. A more reliable guide -- but certainly not a binding rule -- is that for names tracing back to German and much of middle Europe, when "e" and "i" are side-by-side, "e" is commonly placed ahead of "i". But, repeating for emphasis: the rules when spelling names are out the window. I am familiar with two guys whose fathers are first cousins. They have a name that is of German extraction. One family spells it "ei" and the other spells it "ie". Go figure.

A few weeks ago, the film "Fargo" was on TV. Some would claim that is a documentary.
        Now that's good stuff. Props to you.

Comment

More on the EI vs IE controversy...I have a faint recollection of a sporting event years ago in which UND fans were taunting NDSU fans with the song Old McDonald which has, of course, the line "EI EI O". In context, it was pretty funny. Since the taunt was made because of NDSU's connection with agriculture, it wouldn't exactly work well if adopted by SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
            ROFL. Carry on. A little ironic, don't you think?
            Ironic and sloppy of me! Thanks for pointing out the missing word. I fixed it.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Some people have too much leisure time.
              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Accurate.

And if the name is Bohemian (Czech) forget about it.....you're screwed.....just ask them how they pronounce it.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Lost in all of this...not only did our northern visitor screw up the "i before e", he also misspelled the Wizard's name.

So for scbison...check the name before you post here please...it is WIENEKE!

(Mods: please correct the title of the thread so the author won't look as stupid, as he might be. Thank you very much.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    Lost in all of this...not only did our northern visitor screw up the "i before e", he also misspelled the Wizard's name.
                    One in the same. The I before E topic came up because of the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post

So for scbison...check the name before you post here please...it is WIENEKE!

(Mods: please correct the title of the thread so the author won't look as stupid, as he might be. Thank you very much.)
                      If SDSU wins on Saturday i will post a message in this thread with their names spelled correctly. Otherwise you will be getting the full PFT Commentator treatment

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                        If SDSU wins on Saturday i will post a message in this thread with their names spelled correctly. Otherwise you will be getting the full PFT Commentator treatment
                        I admire anyone that's more focused on telling than spelling.

Or I suppose ...

I admire neyone thats more focusd on telling then spelling
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          I admire anyone that's more focused on telling than spelling.

Or I suppose ...

I admire neyone thats more focusd on telling then spelling
                          That's better RabbitObsessed, he will be able to raed that won.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I hope you guys win. Rivalries are more fun when you we lose every now and then and I think it's your turn to be the team that somehow pulls it all together and beats the Bison in Fargo.

But seriously, safe travels for those of you coming to the game and hope it's a great, injury free game for both sides.

Comment

That the Bison will be unable to stop?

Can't wait to see all 5 of you in Fargo next week. Stay tuned
                              Bump this thread!

Comment

Well where is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X