X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Taking the next step

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I watched the video.

I thought the same thing, that Stig looked shocked.

My interpretation of his shock is different - that he had every expectation to compete and win. Yours is that NDSU is in his head. In my experience, when an issue is in someone's head, they lash out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vTzHf2tus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xokthY5zuPU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvo5XO1kH1c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N3-x8XjftQ

I religiously watched Coach Nagy's press conferences during the transition, I do think NDSU was in his head at one point and he acted in a similar fashion to the above during his press conferences during that period - IIRC his demeanor changed during Nate Wolters' freshman year. He saw a light at the end of the tunnel.

Stig's statements seemed more he was disappointed in the outcome but determined to change it the next time around. Nagy got there, Stig never left.

Obviously, we have different opinions which have likely been influenced by confirmation bias.

I think that's fair.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

We're fortunate fans don't suit up for games.

Comment

At this point in time, the thread might be called taking the last step. If there was a projection at the conversion time from DII to DI, the current state of affairs may have still been a longer term pipe dream(think SJAC, Dykhouse Center, and DJD stadium). The anxious souls ought to appreciate the current situation rather than wish for the neighbors success. The elusive national title may never land in Brookings. The ongoing effort that includes facility and talent is moving forward. Who was the last MVFC/Gateway team to win it all prior to the bison? There was not such a team. Youngstown won it 4 times while an independent with Jim Tressel as the head coach. The stomping of the feet should be at the next home game as the next step.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...otball_seasons
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          At this point in time, the thread might be called taking the last step. If there was a projection at the conversion time from DII to DI, the current state of affairs may have still been a longer term pipe dream(think SJAC, Dykhouse Center, and DJD stadium). The anxious souls ought to appreciate the current situation rather than wish for the neighbors success. The elusive national title may never land in Brookings. The ongoing effort that includes facility and talent is moving forward. Who was the last MVFC/Gateway team to win it all prior to the bison? There was not such a team. Youngstown won it 4 times while an independent with Jim Tressel as the head coach. The stomping of the feet should be at the next home game as the next step.
          Western Kentucky won the title in 2002 and Southern Illinois before them in 1983, both were current Gateway members
          Last edited by tjbison; 10-03-2016, 06:30 PM.
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

You're probably right. I've really only known relative success in D1.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

This right here nails it. It's is INCREDIBLY HARD to win a national championship, despite how easy it has seemed for the school up north. Even for them they have have several games in this run where the ball bounced their way. Besides NDSU, if you think of the traditional powers, UNI, Montana, McNeese, Delaware, there isn't even as many titles out of those teams as NDSU has had.

I think we suffer from something of a NDSU like effect for our fanbase to a lesser degree. We've had so much success since the jump we almost don't realize how hard it is to achieve what we have so early in our FCS lifetime. With our run in the polls, playoffs, and being in the top handful of teams in the MVFC year in and out, it's really only something a couple of schools can match. We can be upset about losing, but I think we also need to enjoy what we have in what Stig has created. The next coaching staff could cause our program to plummet into the darkness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Right on Thumper_76. A couple more points on NDSU...they are 75-5 since 2011 (guess there are quite a number of other teams out there in the conference and around the nation, where the losing coaches have been out-coached as some seem to think. Heaven forbid they might not just have had good enough players). With that record, I think it would be safe to say that a whole bunch of coaches have been out-recruited by the Bison as well. And of course, since they have been perennial hosts at playoff games as well, the home field advantage is, well, somewhat an advantage. Despite that overwhelming background, we had them beat in 2014 in the FargoDome with 3:46 left in the playoff game. Trying to remember that game...hmmm, Stig was the coach (being not quite outcoached at that moment), when some guy named Carson Wentz, a ND boy and just your average quarterback at the FCS level, burned us with his arm. Have always wondered why our coaches got out-coached there.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                  Western Kentucky won the title in 2002 and Southern Illinois before them in 1983, both were current Gateway members
                  I will give you the 2002 WKU, but the SIU won the title before football was offered in the all women conference in 1985 as the only men's sport in the Gateway. YSU also had its most success before this conference affiliation. It is a tall order for winning the national title and even more difficult to win several in a row.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I will give you the 2002 WKU, but the SIU won the title before football was offered in the all women conference in 1985 as the only men's sport in the Gateway. YSU also had its most success before this conference affiliation. It is a tall order for winning the national title and even more difficult to win several in a row.
                    I can only think of a couple teams that have won several in a row. Marshall, Georgia Southern, and App State. I'm fairly sure that's it without doing any research. And when Marshall did it they were hosting the Title game and had Randy Moss too. At least for one of the years.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      I can only think of a couple teams that have won several in a row. Marshall, Georgia Southern, and App State. I'm fairly sure that's it without doing any research. And when Marshall did it they were hosting the Title game and had Randy Moss too. At least for one of the years.

YSU, Georgia Southern, Appy and NDSU are the only schools to win consecutive FCS/I-AA titles

Marshall won 2 but a couple years apart
                      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        Right on Thumper_76. A couple more points on NDSU...they are 75-5 since 2011 (guess there are quite a number of other teams out there in the conference and around the nation, where the losing coaches have been out-coached as some seem to think. Heaven forbid they might not just have had good enough players). With that record, I think it would be safe to say that a whole bunch of coaches have been out-recruited by the Bison as well. And of course, since they have been perennial hosts at playoff games as well, the home field advantage is, well, somewhat an advantage. Despite that overwhelming background, we had them beat in 2014 in the FargoDome with 3:46 left in the playoff game. Trying to remember that game...hmmm, Stig was the coach (being not quite outcoached at that moment), when some guy named Carson Wentz, a ND boy and just your average quarterback at the FCS level, burned us with his arm. Have always wondered why our coaches got out-coached there.
                        For one, that jacks team is widely regarded as possibly the best jacks team ever. Second, I don't think that Stig always gets out coached. He certainly has at times. All I have said about Stig is that I don't know if we'll see the program get to the promise land with Stig at the helm. I understand that we could very easily see a drop off when whatever new coach comes in, but if we truly have hit a plateau, I'm willing to take that chance. As far as being happy with where we are compared to where we were, I am definitely happy about it, the purpose of this thread (for me anyway) was simply talking about how the program will take the next step. It's easy to get complacent. What sets programs apart is when that drive is always there, no matter how much success has been achieved. I would venture to guess that after we finally win a championship, we will be talking about how we repeat. You have to keep chasing the rabbit (pun intended), otherwise what's the point?
                        Last edited by CappinHard; 10-03-2016, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Youngstown joined Gateway in 1997, won the 1-AA title in 1997

Comment

With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Didn't realize we are out looking for a new head coach. Comforting to know that we have lots of people who we can turn to as counselors on who we should be trying to hire.

Two more minor points. As answered before, we didn't build a 19,300 seat stadium that we expected to fill for every game, every years. In that case, we should have built a 23,000 seat stadium, so we would have had room to grow. (Minor note for sc bison: NDSU didn't have to raise a dime to get their 19,000 seat dome...we needed to raise all the money, private or from bonds we have to pay every year, for our $65,000,000 stadium. And as stated before by others, comparing what we face in building our program, can't be compared to Fargo, except for how difficult it is for SDSU. We are not in the largest city, have the state's largest newspaper, have the major television stations in our town, have comparable businesses, corporations for financial support, etc., to go along with our ten-fold difference in population base. And for those trying to compare our fan base to Nebraska's, you have got to be kidding!)
                              Stig is 59 and he allegedly mention to Zimmer that he was considering retirement in three years. Don't have any factual confimation, but somewhere in the time frame of three to six years Stig's retirement is likely to occur. My point in this conversation is that a replacement will come from many good choices. Jamey Chadwell could be one of those choices. I think we need to be prepare to hold on this individual and this job being a stepping stone is one of the hazards that we will have deal with. Our new facility makes this job very attractive.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-04-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Joe Glenn won back to back National Championships. He's available. He always picked up re-treads from Colorado and Colorado St and is a proven winner. I say we hire him. Can't get to the next level with Stig. That is proven. Let's totally discount and/or ignore the facts that the school is enjoying the greatest cumulative sports success in the history of the university. And the football team has been leading the charge since we transitioned to D1. The same football team that, prior to the transition, was always the least favorite sibling of the big three children (falling far the behind men's hoops and women's hoops teams). The same football team that has just finished building one of the best FCS football facilities in the country, is on a multi-year run of making the playoffs, is consistently ranked as one of the top 15 teams in the country, and seen unprecedented growth in both interest and donations. Quick stat. If you add up the two largest home game attendance figures from the era when I played (94-98) you would just barely have a number higher than last week's "disappointing" attendance figure. I come back for football games and am gobsmacked by the amount of people walking around with SDSU gear on in the Sioux Falls area. But, yeah, it's time to consider a change in coaches. By the way, our current coach commands a salary which is less than even the most wet-behind-the-ears replacement we'd ever hope to come in with that sought-after swag and risk-taking attitude. Have there been times when we have been out-coached in games? Certainly. Stig would be the first to admit that. You find me a coach who wouldn't admit to that and I'll show you someone who is either a narcissist or a liar (or both).

Listen, I get that it's healthy to always strive for greater success and to reach the next step and question whether there are areas where we can get better. I also get that there have been times in Stig's tenure that his coaching ability could be and were questioned. But, a discussion that questions whether he can currently take us to the next level because he's not knocking on dorm room doors or blowing up social media, is more than a little silly. The fact is Stig has built the program to unprecedented heights and has done it the right way. If anyone watched the celebration and end-game speech he gave the players after the Western Ill game where he said "I'm proud of you, but I love you more than I'm proud of you" and don't understand what that means to the players, then any further conversation is pointless.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X